U. S. A.

scarboroughwa

What a top joint.

Funnily enough, before I went the first time I thought it might be like it is on the tv or something. But I found it to be a great place with... friendly people.

I sometimes think I should have settled there, rather than where I did.

Favourite place so far: New York.

nb. I've spent more than a one week 'done the usa' thing.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only stayed in a few places (Norfolk, Virginia; San Antonio, Texas and around Jacksonville, Florida) and of course I know everywhere has it's places to avoid but I've always been struck by just how friendly the locals are.

I remember we decided to walk to the shop one day when my little one was in a buggy & there was a group of workmen cleaning the road and mowing the grass in a predominantly residential area. They weren't even very close to the footpath but they saw us coming from about 20 metres away and all stopped what they were doing until we had passed and all waved or said hi. This has stayed with me and I'm sure wouldn't happen here.

Plus, of course, the cliche is true in my experience that as soon as they hear the English accent, they want to talk to you more but it always comes across as genuine interest - even the ubiquitous "have a nice day" is said like they mean it.

I wouldn't want to live there but I do love to visit pretty much every year. I never have got the hang of their 4-way stop sign intersections though when driving & whose right of way it is.

I would love to spend a year or two in the US, either travelling or working. 

I went a few times with my parents when I was younger and I was struck by how friendly people were as well (I suspect the English accent might have had something to do with that).

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

I quite fancy going on a train that you sleep on across the country. 

The encounters I have had with yanks hasn't been too great but I think I might start with New York next year sometime.

Don't go by train. If you really want to go on a train, do it in Canada their train system is better.

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

I quite fancy going on a train that you sleep on across the country. 

The encounters I have had with yanks hasn't been too great but I think I might start with New York next year sometime.

You won't see much if you're asleep

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

You can stick LA, but everywhere else is brilliant.

Back on the menu this year for me. First time trip to Boston and a return to NYC in the Autumn.

Agree - L.A. is a hell-hole and I never want to go there again. San Francisco and San Diego the exact opposite - great cities to visit.

6 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

Are they any good or is it like watching the Vauxhall Conference? (Love the Vauxhall Conference, by the way).

My Uncle had a Vauxhall Conference when I was a kid. Loads of room in the back but a rust bucket.  

On 8/26/2017 at 05:41, scarboroughwa said:

Are they any good or is it like watching the Vauxhall Conference? (Love the Vauxhall Conference, by the way).

I would say below the championship but above league 1 roughly :lol:. Neat to see some old players like Kaka though.

On 8/26/2017 at 03:29, Broderick said:

:) Come see an MLS game if you come here. 

I went to see Toronto FC play a game while I was there in 2013. The atmosphere was rubbish and the play on the pitch wasn't much better (I think they were being coached by Ryan Nelson at the time). They were using that vanishing spray already in the MLS back then and my take away from that game was the FA should get some.

On 25/08/2017 at 18:34, JoetheRam said:

You can stick LA, but everywhere else is brilliant.

Back on the menu this year for me. First time trip to Boston and a return to NYC in the Autumn.

On 25/08/2017 at 20:17, Wolfie20 said:

Agree - L.A. is a hell-hole and I never want to go there again. San Francisco and San Diego the exact opposite - great cities to visit.

What's wrong with L.A.? Superficial? 

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

What's wrong with L.A.? Superficial? 

Honestly the only place I've been where I've felt uneasy walking about at night.

Too many freaks, junkies, alkies and beggars.

Someone was shot on the same street our hotel was on the day of our arrival.

There's a weird kind of brown haze over the city from pollution.

And it's just largely unimpressive. Looks like a bigger version of Lanzarote.

The beaches are ok I suppose.

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Honestly the only place I've been where I've felt uneasy walking about at night.

Too many freaks, junkies, alkies and beggars.

Someone was shot on the same street our hotel was on the day of our arrival.

There's a weird kind of brown haze over the city from pollution.

And it's just largely unimpressive. Looks like a bigger version of Lanzarote.

The beaches are ok I suppose.

Thought you were on about Nottingham until the beach bit.

23 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I went to see Toronto FC play a game while I was there in 2013. The atmosphere was rubbish and the play on the pitch wasn't much better (I think they were being coached by Ryan Nelson at the time). They were using that vanishing spray already in the MLS back then and my take away from that game was the FA should get some.

One thing that has really struck me is that it's like a force-field. Once the squirty cream is down, nobody edges forward any more.

Love the US, lived there for 2 years in the lone star state. Great people, great way of life, massive burgers!!!! Would go back in a heartbeat 

Archived