The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

I've defended Pep enough in the past but if he fails to win the league then it will be his fault because they have by far the best squad in the league. If he doesn't do well in the champions league either then he will have no choice but to step down and you'd have to ask whether it was even worth going after Guardiola in the first place when our British managers like Dyche, Pulis or Mark Hughes wouldn't have done any worse.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Replacing Toure/Fernandinho I think is a job for next summer.

He had more pressing matters this summer with the fullbacks and GK issue.

I like the 4141 system he uses. Jesus is so much more mobile than Aguero.

I understand that but the defensive midfield position is arguably the most important position in the team. A midfield of Fernandinho, Silva and De Bruyne is too lightweight. It also hampers De Bruyne too much as he's better at scoring goals and creating assists rather than dictating the game.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

"Peps a genius, no manager to have ever existed could possibly not lose to Bournemouth"

1 hour ago, David said:

How did David Silva at 31 years old send a through ball in like that, thought they were all duffers at that age?

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Impossible task to win the league with players as old and past it as him last year- no team has ever had such a squad of s**** old age pensioners

He's a bald fraud:ph34r:

Edit: No follicle-related offence intended David.

11 hours ago, David said:

Didn't he solve that last year with £18m Bravo? Or was that just a stop gap until they signed Ederson for £35m

I don't think many predicted such a bad season from Bravo. I think Ederson will prove to be a solid choice.

Most felt City dropping Joe Hart was harsh, but he's been poor for 18 months now. City needed a new number one.

11 hours ago, McLovin said:

I've defended Pep enough in the past but if he fails to win the league then it will be his fault because they have by far the best squad in the league. If he doesn't do well in the champions league either then he will have no choice but to step down and you'd have to ask whether it was even worth going after Guardiola in the first place when our British managers like Dyche, Pulis or Mark Hughes wouldn't have done any worse.

You can't be serious! City have already improved under Pep, and this is a long-term job, not a short-term one.

I don't think they have the best squad in the league. They now have players with huge potential, but Chelsea have more top players in their prime.

I don't get this CL pressure either. It's the same with PSG when they say they now need to reach at least the semi-final.

What happens if you draw Real Madrid in round two and lose. Is that really a sackable offence?

Also City hired Pep for his football. While winning is important, so is style. What would be the point in hiring Sam Allardyce? 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You can't be serious! City have already improved under Pep, and this is a long-term job, not a short-term one.

I don't think they have the best squad in the league. They now have players with huge potential, but Chelsea have more top players in their prime.

I don't get this CL pressure either. It's the same with PSG when they say they now need to reach at least the semi-final.

What happens if you draw Real Madrid in round two and lose. Is that really a sackable offence?

Also City hired Pep for his football. While winning is important, so is style. What would be the point in hiring Sam Allardyce? 

Even Sam Allardyce could get a team playing good football given £300m to spend.

This discussion about Pep Guardiola has clearly shown differing opinion on how football should be played- but no one can disagree about the way he has changed Raheem Sterling as a player. Since the beginning of last season Sterling's confidence has been twice as what it was under Pellegrini and I believe that was all down to Pep. And look what a difference it had made! His crossing and finishing has improved vastly (despite the odd Miskick every once and a while) and it has lead to moments of incredible passion like the goal yesterday vs Bournemouth, and even the goal against Arsenal at home last year- that was a great finish. I always see people praising Sane but he was only there for half a season last year and Sterling showed quality throughout the whole season. I feel he'll make a bigger influence this year.

2 hours ago, JarodyDCFC said:

This discussion about Pep Guardiola has clearly shown differing opinion on how football should be played- but no one can disagree about the way he has changed Raheem Sterling as a player. Since the beginning of last season Sterling's confidence has been twice as what it was under Pellegrini and I believe that was all down to Pep. And look what a difference it had made! His crossing and finishing has improved vastly (despite the odd Miskick every once and a while) and it has lead to moments of incredible passion like the goal yesterday vs Bournemouth, and even the goal against Arsenal at home last year- that was a great finish. I always see people praising Sane but he was only there for half a season last year and Sterling showed quality throughout the whole season. I feel he'll make a bigger influence this year.

You're right about how people see football differently...I think Sterling is toss ?

52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why? Did you not see some of the players he brought to Bolton when given a bit of a budget? Wonder how Pep would go on with such low budgets?

Because Sam Allardyce hasn't proven throughout his career an ability to coach his team to play good, attractive football.

He brought in some top names at Bolton, but they didn't play good football.

His one game in charge of England with a first-team XI worth around £300m was as dull as dishwater.

53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I could get a team playing good football given 300m:lol:

So you think you could just walk into the dressing room, click your fingers and tell the players to play intricate, one-touch fast football and they'll do it...

I don't think people quite understand the importance of what goes on on the training ground.

Barcelona didn't suddenly start playing the best football the world has ever seen because Pep walked in and told them 'go out there and play the best football the world has ever seen'.

If it was that easy, why bother with managers? Why pay Pep an obscene amount of money each year when you can just hire Millenniumram to walk into the dressing room and tell the players to play good football...

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Because Sam Allardyce hasn't proven throughout his career an ability to coach his team to play good, attractive football.

He brought in some top names at Bolton, but they didn't play good football.

His one game in charge of England with a first-team XI worth around £300m was as dull as dishwater.

Because he has never really had talented players at his disposal.

Remember the reason you gave for Pep getting rid of lots of younger players.

I seem to remember Bolton being quite good, finishing 5th or 6th when he had players such as Campo, Okocha and Djourkaeff. And I don't recall him using their age as an excuse.

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why? Did you not see some of the players he brought to Bolton when given a bit of a budget? Wonder how Pep would go on with such low budgets?

I don't know if his team would be very good. I think he'd have a fantastic Spanish villa though.

On 27/08/2017 at 09:20, JarodyDCFC said:

And now they’ve offered him to Arsenal in a deal for Sanchez...

On 28/08/2017 at 07:31, G STAR RAM said:

Because he has never really had talented players at his disposal.

Remember the reason you gave for Pep getting rid of lots of younger players.

I seem to remember Bolton being quite good, finishing 5th or 6th when he had players such as Campo, Okocha and Djourkaeff. And I don't recall him using their age as an excuse.

Isn't this just a case of the 'certain managers can do certain jobs' argument? 

Stick Allardyce at City and make Pep manage of that Bolton team and they both probably do awful, relatively speaking. 

On 8/25/2017 at 19:32, Bris Vegas said:

He'll be gone? Like I mentioned previously, he's in season two of the biggest turnover of players in Europe.

No other side will make such vast changes because they simply don't have to.

Pep walked into a squad with an average age of 29! The oldest in the CL and PL last season. 

He has been tasked with creating a dynasty. City won't be stupid enough to sack him if he doesn't win a trophy this season.

He will no doubt have expectations placed on him, but City are looking at the long-term, not season-by-season.

Doesn't matter what their log term strategy is, it doesn't matter if they're building for the long term.  I very much doubt Sheikh Mansour will allow his gilded play thing to go two seasons without a trophy.  Especially with the World's Greatest Football Coach(TM) at the helm, nobody is un-sackable.  Unless your Wenger of course... 

Archived