The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

On 29/12/2017 at 21:17, MuespachRam said:

Let’s get this right. Shaktar best a not full strength city team that had already qualified as group winners...and City beat Napoli home and away.....

Everyone says how amazing Liverpool are going forward....have you seen that City have got 15 more goals than them already.!?

as for losing at Arsenal....did you see the Liverpool game.!??? 

Looks like I was right about Liverpool ending the streak. I'm not convinced that Man City are as good as everyone makes them out to be. Their team individually is not as good as great teams gone by but Guardiola is getting the most out of the players.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Looks like I was right about Liverpool ending the streak. I'm not convinced that Man City are as good as everyone makes them out to be. Their team individually is not as good as great teams gone by but Guardiola is getting the most out of the players.

They have won the league already.  Best league in the world mind.....

On 17/01/2018 at 18:06, David said:

Thought I'd take a look at transfers since Man City were taken over compared to Man Utd and their outrageous transfer policy. Fair play to Man City keeping things real, round of applause ???

Man City
17/18 - Arrivals £222m / Departures £85m
16/17 - Arrivals £192m / Departures £32m
15/16 - Arrivals £192m / Departures £61m
14/15 - Arrivals £80m / Departures £27m
13/14 - Arrivals £104m / Departures £10m
12/13 - Arrivals £56m / Departures £40m
11/12 - Arrivals £78m / Departures £27m
10/11 - Arrivals £164m / Departures £33m
09/10 - Arrivals £133m / Departures £28m
08/09 - Arrivals £142m / Departures £24m
Total Spent £1.36bn 
Total Received £367m
Net £996m 

Man Utd
17/18 - Arrivals £148m / Departures £10m
16/17 - Arrivals £166m / Departures £42m
15/16 - Arrivals £140m / Departures £92m
14/15 - Arrivals £175m / Departures £44m
13/14 - Arrivals £69m / Departures £2m
12/13 - Arrivals £69m / Departures £10m
11/12 - Arrivals £56m / Departures £13m
10/11 - Arrivals £26m / Departures £16m
09/10 - Arrivals £25m / Departures £94m
08/09 - Arrivals £41m / Departures £7m
Total Spent £915m
Total Received  £330m
Net £585m

*Figures from transfermarkt.co.uk

"don't talk about spend, talk about NET spend" 

On 1/17/2018 at 18:40, DC-1975 said:

I agree with this. If the Sky and Champions League money had come 5 years earlier Liverpool would probably still be the dominant force and our League would have been boring like the other European Leagues, with the same team winning it and getting all the money.

The only way Chelsea or City could ever compete and challenge the top teams was to get rich owners.

They wouldn't be, because Graham Souness would still have ripped apart a great side and replaced them with over priced flops.  he was the catalyst for setting them back far enough that they STILL haven't recovered.  How anyone takes him serious as a pundit I'll never know...

Klopp showed how you can beat Cit-eh, but it takes a season's worth of coaching to be able to do it.  You can't drill a side to do that with a weeks build up to a game, so everybody else in the league, including Jose', park the bus and hope for the best.  

37 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

No team is invincible,not even Wolverhampton Wanderers

I hoping the shock of losing to that shower up the road has a cataclysmic effect on there confidence and the slide begins.  I mean, let's face it, you'd sit there having your cornflakes on Sunday morning and think "I lost to F**est, maybe I'm not cut out for this lark!"

On 1/19/2018 at 19:25, McLovin said:

If Liverpool and Man City had a goalkeeper like De Gea that day it would have been a boring 1-1 draw and no one would even be talking about it. 

32 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

If Liverpool and Man City had a goalkeeper like De Gea that day it would have been a boring 1-1 draw and no one would even be talking about it. 

Liverpool's 1st & 4th I'll give you but the other two were 2 very well worked goal, Mane's was pretty much unstoppable...

31 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

quite scary that i actually agree with you... in the famous words of the greatest midfielder of all time Joey Barton "never trust a keeper with a smiley face tattoo behind his ear"

Frank Lampard on Sanchez "It is not as if he's turned down City to go to China, like other players," said the Chelsea legend on BT Sport.

"He's gone to one of the biggest, if not the biggest club in the world in Manchester United.

"If you look at it the other way, of course there's money involved, but it's more of a challenge. Here at Manchester United there's no doubt that they need an uplift - they're 12 points behind. He could be that man."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-fans-love-what-11889799

7 hours ago, David said:

I see Paul Ince has been baiting Bris in the press this morning

It depends entirely on the situation which club a player would choose. Nothing to do with how big they are.

If one offered more money than the other then they will go there.

If both offered the exact same contract, I think most would choose City unless they have more chance of regular football at United.

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Ederson had no chance with the first goal either. 

The defending for all of the goals was poor. Should have been a 1-0 game.

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ederson had no chance with the first goal either. 

The defending for all of the goals was poor. Should have been a 1-0 game.

He did have a chance, but he gave it a little hop just as Ox struck it.  By the time his feet were planted again and he could dive, it was too late.  He positioning was slightly to one side, but if his feet were planted as the ball ball was hit, he'd have probably saved it.  Shay Given did a great job of highlighting it at half time.

15 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

He did have a chance, but he gave it a little hop just as Ox struck it.  By the time his feet were planted again and he could dive, it was too late.  He positioning was slightly to one side, but if his feet were planted as the ball ball was hit, he'd have probably saved it.  Shay Given did a great job of highlighting it at half time.

I'm surprised Shay doesn't get more praise for his punditry - Personally i think his analysis is quality.

I think City would probably prefer to play Arsenal in the final. They'd give them an open game and with their defending it would take plenty of luck for them to outscore Pep's team.

If there is one criticism of City recently is that they've started to ship goals. No clean sheet in six games in all competitions, basically coinciding with the return of John Stones to the starting XI.

He was in great form before his injury. Since he's been back he's gifted the opposition at least four goals through basic errors.

2 hours ago, ripleyram88 said:

What was all that about not wanting to overspend on Alexis?

But £57m on a defender who has never played for his national side is okay?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42811597

I'll save Bris the effort of replying and spout the nonsense about Sanchez's best years being behind him, and how that's the going rate for a very promising defender, who King Pep will turn into a world beater within a year.  Look how Kyle Walker is improving.  I rest my case...

3 hours ago, ripleyram88 said:

What was all that about not wanting to overspend on Alexis?

But £57m on a defender who has never played for his national side is okay?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42811597

The overspend was on his wages and agent fees. City’s top earner is on £220,000 (Aguero, Toure and now KDB I believe) yet Alexis is reportedly picking up north of £400k at United.

City need a new CB. They only have four senior first-teamers on their books, including Mangala who they are open to selling and Kompany who spends most the season out injured.

Laporte is widely regarded as one of the best CBs in Spain, and at 23 he is another who has years ahead of him.

Archived