The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

On 12/13/2017 at 17:28, Bris Vegas said:

As big of a Guardiola (and therefore City) fan I am, if you want to be picky over their start one could suggest fixtures have been kind.

In the second half of the season they will have to go to Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, a rejouvinated Everton, Southampton and even Burnley which could be considered tricky games.

Then again, they dominated both Chelsea and United away from home so there is no reason why they can’t do the same at Anfield or The Emirates.

It’s true regarding the top 8 bit. Also, they could beat Man Utd’s points tally (top 6) of last season by game 24 if they carry on winning.

"Even" Burnley:)

You REALLY do hate them, don't you? Hardly any credit at all and, even when you do, it's through gritted teeth!!

I enjoy seeing you proved so hopelessly wrong time and again. Keep predicting bad things for us, please.:)

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Grantona said:

"Even" Burnley:)

You REALLY do hate them, don't you? Hardly any credit at all and, even when you do, it's through gritted teeth!!

I enjoy seeing you proved so hopelessly wrong time and again. Keep predicting bad things for us, please.:)

It was compliment you tool. I could have completely ignored them, but considering their very impressive defensive record they will give everybody a game at Turf Moor this season.

I don’t hate Burnley at all. I think the squad is very average and the football as dull as dishwater, but considering where you are in the league, it’s safe to say Dyche is performing miracles there.

9 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Sterling needs to be able to do it in mediocre sides when he doesn't have the luxury of 6 or 7 sitters every game.he misses quite a few easy chances. 

Put him in the England team for example....

He’s missed some shockers previously for sure. May be he’s due one very good year.  I won’t hold my breath when he’s in an England shirt though :)

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho says the £300m he has spent on his squad so far is "not enough" after their 2-2 draw with Burnley on Tuesday.

"We are in the second year of trying to rebuild a football team that you know is not one of the best teams in the world," said the Portuguese. "Manchester City buy full-backs for the price of strikers," he added.

Nice dig from Mourinho there, coming from a guy who spent £170m on Pogba and Lukaku alone.

The difference is Mourinho is a poor attacking coach. United have no rythmn going forward, they're incredibly dull to watch because they just play for second balls. How much money they have wasted to play like they do is criminal.

Another win for City tomorrow would see them go 15 points clear at the top. They probably only need to win 12 of their next 19 games to win the title. 

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho says the £300m he has spent on his squad so far is "not enough" after their 2-2 draw with Burnley on Tuesday.

"We are in the second year of trying to rebuild a football team that you know is not one of the best teams in the world," said the Portuguese. "Manchester City buy full-backs for the price of strikers," he added.

Nice dig from Mourinho there, coming from a guy who spent £170m on Pogba and Lukaku alone.

The difference is Mourinho is a poor attacking coach. United have no rythmn going forward, they're incredibly dull to watch because they just play for second balls. How much money they have wasted to play like they do is criminal.

Another win for City tomorrow would see them go 15 points clear at the top. They probably only need to win 12 of their next 19 games to win the title. 

Mourinho is an idiot.

Was a complete breath of fresh air when he first came over here, now he's just boring. 

He's been found out and just doesn't know how to react. 

His press conferences and interviews are becoming cringeworthy.

You know my thoughts on Man Citys spending but Mourinho has proven that you can't completely buy success and do actually have to get the right players.

Mourinho always does this , sly digs that make big newspaper headlines , this in turn makes people switch their focus from his very un- manchester united team , in my view the likes of Smalling , Valencia , Fellaini, Young , Herrera and Lingard are not good enough , he has a huge job on to replace those players with the quality required , he also strikes me as being unhappy with his lot at United , oh well maybe we can help him out of his misery on Jan 5th , by winning and getting him the boot

10 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Mourinho always does this , sly digs that make big newspaper headlines , this in turn makes people switch their focus from his very un- manchester united team , in my view the likes of Smalling , Valencia , Fellaini, Young , Herrera and Lingard are not good enough , he has a huge job on to replace those players with the quality required , he also strikes me as being unhappy with his lot at United , oh well maybe we can help him out of his misery on Jan 5th , by winning and getting him the boot

I think what bugs him the most is the realisation that football has moved on, and what worked for him back in 2003-05 doesn't work anymore. He came in and the deep compact, defensive game was his revelation. Nobody else did it, therefore it was incredibly difficult for teams to break that Chelsea side down and find ways to beat them.

But football has evolved in the last ten years or so, and now everybody does the deep, compact defensive block without the ball (against the big teams) therefore Mourinho is getting a taste of his own medicine and he doesn't know how to deal with it.

How many games have United drawn over the past two years? They drop so many points because Mourinho is a poor attacking coach. In fact, I bet he doesn't even work with the forwards at all and just lets them go out there.

Compare that with Guardiola who works incredibly hard on the training ground, both with and without the ball plus tactically, to give his forwards the best chance of scoring goals. The difference between the two in that aspect is huge.

Teams these days are better going forward than they were ten years ago. United actually have Mourinho-type players, the spine of his team is tall, athletic and gritty. De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Lindelof (bought by Mourinho for £30m), Matic (bought by Mou for £40m), Pogba (bought by Mou for £90m), Mkhitaryan (bought by Mou for £35m) and Lukaku (bought by Mou for £75m).

Does anybody think United suddenly buying a new fullback or winger will change their style of play? Mourinho has his team, his team aren't winning and he is being shown up for it.

A lot of possession again for Man City. Can you imagine what Pep's Bayern and Barca teams would have done in the premier league? In my opinion, none of the current Man City players would have got into Pep's Bayern and Barcelona sides. I don't know what Pep has done to Sterling but he looks a completely different player.

With 18 games left, you'd think a record of W9 D4 L5 will now be enough for City which is the sort of record you'd expect someone like Arsenal to go on. That would give them 91 points.

No way are United, Chelsea or Liverpool going to hit 90 points this season.

City are so dominant.

Teams are so scared of Man City when they shouldn't be. Players like Walker, Sterling, Otamendi, Jesus and Aguero are not comfortable when you pressurise them. Even De Bruyne to an extent struggles when put under pressure but teams are approaching them like they are Barca or Bayern in their prime because they haven't been beat in the league yet. Teams will get more luck if they set up more offensively. Napoli were very close to executing a perfect game plan and Shaktar Donetsk beat Man City by being offensive against them.

31 minutes ago, cannable said:

Conflicted on City. 

Do we just ignore what they and their owners are off the pitch and root for them because they’re really good on the pitch? 

Or should we morally want them to fail? 

Morally want them to fail, but unfortunately I have to confess that I like to see history being born in front of my eyes and so I want them to just not lose another game this season and smash Arsenals Invincibles out of the water. They've got a chance to create the kind of history that there's absolutely no prayer of ever being beaten outside of a FIFA career mode on Amateur difficulty.

Once they've done that, I hope they end up in the Conference North.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think what bugs him the most is the realisation that football has moved on, and what worked for him back in 2003-05 doesn't work anymore. He came in and the deep compact, defensive game was his revelation. Nobody else did it, therefore it was incredibly difficult for teams to break that Chelsea side down and find ways to beat them.

But football has evolved in the last ten years or so, and now everybody does the deep, compact defensive block without the ball (against the big teams) therefore Mourinho is getting a taste of his own medicine and he doesn't know how to deal with it.

How many games have United drawn over the past two years? They drop so many points because Mourinho is a poor attacking coach. In fact, I bet he doesn't even work with the forwards at all and just lets them go out there.

Compare that with Guardiola who works incredibly hard on the training ground, both with and without the ball plus tactically, to give his forwards the best chance of scoring goals. The difference between the two in that aspect is huge.

Teams these days are better going forward than they were ten years ago. United actually have Mourinho-type players, the spine of his team is tall, athletic and gritty. De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Lindelof (bought by Mourinho for £30m), Matic (bought by Mou for £40m), Pogba (bought by Mou for £90m), Mkhitaryan (bought by Mou for £35m) and Lukaku (bought by Mou for £75m).

Does anybody think United suddenly buying a new fullback or winger will change their style of play? Mourinho has his team, his team aren't winning and he is being shown up for it.

Hardly failures though are they? If it wasn't for City's Superteam they'd be top of the league.

I don't think Man City will go unbeaten in the league. I predict they will lose to both Arsenal and Liverpool away. Both are the only two teams in the league who are brave enough to take the game to Man City and Man City have struggled with their performances when put under pressure, although I think they will still end up winning the league by about 12 points in the end.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Teams are so scared of Man City when they shouldn't be. Players like Walker, Sterling, Otamendi, Jesus and Aguero are not comfortable when you pressurise them. Even De Bruyne to an extent struggles when put under pressure but teams are approaching them like they are Barca or Bayern in their prime because they haven't been beat in the league yet. Teams will get more luck if they set up more offensively. Napoli were very close to executing a perfect game plan and Shaktar Donetsk beat Man City by being offensive against them.

I think City have shown, against Spurs especially, how they can also cut you to ribbons if you press and commit too many men forward. The pace in which they can attack can leave you so exposed at the back.

I agree in that Walker, Sterling, Mangala and even Aguero can be forced into giving the ball away cheaply, but do you risk abondoning defensive shape in order to hunt those players in packs of two or three?

Otamendi looks really comfortable on the ball, and his game has reached a whole new level under Guardiola. 

To hurt City you ideally need a midfielder who can drop balls in behind Walker/Delph for fast forward players to latch onto. Get quicker players one on one with the centre-backs to try and stretch them on the counter.

I've not seen many teams really try and play this way. Going with a lone forward who lacks pace is playing right into City's hands. 

Archived