Sign in to follow this  
Jourdan

The boring Man City discussion

32 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

City are a different side this season. Make no mistake, they're not the ageing XI who lacked pace and intensity like last season.

They have strength over the pitch and can introduce game-changing players, a luxury they didn't have last season.

Everton were lucky. Sure they played well, but ultimately they claimed a point through City's lack of prolificacy infront of goal rather than anything spectacular they did.

City don't need to find a different way to win. There is absoloutely no logic in aiming to play less coherently and create less chances in order to have a greater shot at winning the game.

They need to take their chances. They need to make the most of the opportunities they create. It's as simple as that.

They could continue to drop points, but it won't be as a result of their team play. They will dominate 95% of their matches this season without doubt, just like Barcelona and Bayern under Pep.

Time will tell.

If City go on to dominate 95% of their matches and coast to the title, I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong to doubt Pep. 

What will you do if City don't do as well as you expect? Find more excuses for Pep to hide behind?

25 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Time will tell.

If City go on to dominate 95% of their matches and coast to the title, I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong to doubt Pep. 

What will you do if City don't do as well as you expect? Find more excuses for Pep to hide behind?

I don't think they will coast to the title. I think they will dominate the majority of their games though.

The only thing that will stop them from winning the title is themselves via a lack of prolificacy or another team going on near record form like Chelsea last term.

You suggest I have already made excuses for Pep. I haven't made any excuses for him in regards to his time so far.

What is there to make excuses about? His failure to win the title last season? Nobody would have won the title with thay squad. Nobody.

58 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think they will coast to the title. I think they will dominate the majority of their games though.

The only thing that will stop them from winning the title is themselves via a lack of prolificacy or another team going on near record form like Chelsea last term.

You suggest I have already made excuses for Pep. I haven't made any excuses for him in regards to his time so far.

What is there to make excuses about? His failure to win the title last season? Nobody would have won the title with that squad. Nobody.

I feel like it's deja vu. You say such ridiculous things to fit your unwavering narrative.

A large number of professionals and experts of the game expected City to win the title last season. If what you are saying is true, how did so many experts misjudge them? City were overwhelming favourites. Not a 5,000-1 underdog like Leicester.

People were very confident that Pep could do the very thing that you are saying would have been impossible to do.

Remind me again, who did you tip to win it last year? Please point me in the direction of your post in summer 2016 stating City were rank outsiders for the title.

You have been going on all summer about City's ageing squad and using it as an excuse to prop up Pep after his trophy-less season last year, trying to convince every man and his nan that this year will be different. To be honest, I put more stock in the Jose second season theory.

9 of the starting XI and 12 of the 18 from Monday are from the very same pool of players 'too ageing to compete' last season. And you've already admitted Pep plays only one way. It wasn't a rip roaring success last season. How will playing Leroy Sane as a wing back and giving Bernardo Silva 20 minutes to turn a game change that?

Time will tell, but I am yet to see this transformed City you speak of. And if I do, I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

£200m+ worth of new players and same old story, I am beginning to think.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I feel like it's deja vu. You say such ridiculous things to fit your unwavering narrative.

A large number of professionals and experts of the game expected City to win the title last season. If what you are saying is true, how did so many experts misjudge them? City were overwhelming favourites. Not a 5,000-1 underdog like Leicester.

People were very confident that Pep could do the very thing that you are saying would have been impossible to do.

Remind me again, who did you tip to win it last year? Please point me in the direction of your post in summer 2016 stating City were rank outsiders for the title.

You have been going on all summer about City's ageing squad and using it as an excuse to prop up Pep after his trophy-less season last year, trying to convince every man and his nan that this year will be different. To be honest, I put more stock in the Jose second season theory.

9 of the starting XI and 12 of the 18 from Monday are from the very same pool of players 'too ageing to compete' last season. And you've already admitted Pep plays only one way. It wasn't a rip roaring success last season. How will playing Leroy Sane as a wing back and giving Bernardo Silva 20 minutes to turn a game change that?

Time will tell, but I am yet to see this transformed City you speak of. And if I do, I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

£200m+ worth of new players and same old story, I am beginning to think.

City's average age last season was 29. That for a squad is dreadful.

They weren't rank outsiders, but they finished the season before that on 66 points and before that behind Chelsea.

They were on the decline, and with a bunch of players past their best and impossible to rejuvenate. Players such as Zabaleta, Sagna, Clichy, Kolorov, Fernando, Bony, Caballero, Jesus Navas, Yaya Toure... All these players past their prime.

It's not an excuse. It's a fact. Pep has been tasked with the largest squad turnover in PL history. He's been tasked with getting rid of 2/3 of the squad and replacing it. Yet people thought he could do that in a summer and win the title? That's ridiculous and unrealistic. Nobody could have done that.

This year will be an improvement, I'm convinced of that. But it isn't all about this season, Pep has been tasked with creating a dynasty at City and his signings so far suggest he's planning for both the short-term and long-term.

Players like Stones, Jesus, Gundogan, Ederson, Danilo, Sane, Silva, Mendy are all mid 20's or younger while Sterling, De Bruyne, Walker have years at the top level left too.

In the next couple more years Pep will be tasked with replacing Toure, Aguero, David Silva, Vincent Kompany and Fernandinho too.

No other side in Europe will go through so much transition. Because no other side in Europe have such an ageing squad.

Pep and City are already ahead of the rest. When it comes to Chelsea, United and Arsenal to go through that period of transition to come City's squad will be near its prime. The building blocks are in place for them to dominate.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Pep has been tasked with the largest squad turnover in PL history. He's been tasked with getting rid of 2/3 of the squad and replacing it.

Oh do behave.

If he was as good as we are told he would not have to get rid of that many, he would actually coach them to play how he wants. (He has sold or loaned out 8 players under the age of 24)

All we will find out this year is whether he has been able to buy the league or not.

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Oh do behave.

If he was as good as we are told he would not have to get rid of that many, he would actually coach them to play how he wants. (He has sold or loaned out 8 players under the age of 24)

All we will find out this year is whether he has been able to buy the league or not.

Rubbish.

You can't coach players who don't have any potential. The majority of City's squad didn't, as they were past their prime age wise.

And coaching players to how you want them when that isn't their game is setting yourself up for failure.

Didn't we go over this with Nigel Pearson?

Pep, to get his team functioning how he wants, has to have the right players to do so. That's just logic.

You can't just coach it into players. Football doesn't work like that. Pep isn't a miracle worker, he can't just coach a 33-year-old Zabaleta to become this dynamo fullback who runs up and down the wing all day. He can't coach 31-year-old head-down winger in Jesus Navas to suddenly become this intricate inside forward capable of cutting on his left foot like Arjen Robben.

Pep is in the midst of transforming City and creating a team never seen before in the PL. Haters are going to hate...

31 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Rubbish.

You can't coach players who don't have any potential. The majority of City's squad didn't, as they were past their prime age wise.

And coaching players to how you want them when that isn't their game is setting yourself up for failure.

Didn't we go over this with Nigel Pearson?

Pep, to get his team functioning how he wants, has to have the right players to do so. That's just logic.

You can't just coach it into players. Football doesn't work like that. Pep isn't a miracle worker, he can't just coach a 33-year-old Zabaleta to become this dynamo fullback who runs up and down the wing all day. He can't coach 31-year-old head-down winger in Jesus Navas to suddenly become this intricate inside forward capable of cutting on his left foot like Arjen Robben.

Pep is in the midst of transforming City and creating a team never seen before in the PL. Haters are going to hate...

He's not a brillian coach then, he's just someone who buys the most expensive players to suit his system. 

If he was as clever as I am told he would see how his squad plays and pick a system to suit them rather than sticking to his system and then needing to spend  £200m when the obvious result occurs.

I don't hate the guy, why would I?

I certainly hope he does create the sort of team never seen before when he is spending over £100m on full backs.

The only person who seems to have any real emotion for him is you, hence why you look for excuses to defend everything he does.

Edited by G STAR RAM

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

He's not a brillian coach then, he's just someone who buys the most expensive players to suit his system. 

If he was as clever as I am told he would see how his squad plays and pick a system to suit them rather than sticking to his system and then needing to spend  £200m when the obvious result occurs.

I don't hate the guy, why would I?

I certainly hope he does create the sort of team never seen before when he is spending over £100m on full backs.

The only person who seems to have any real emotion for him is you, hence why you look for excuses to defend everything he does.

He is a brilliant coach. He created the greatest club side ever, playing the best football.

Bayern players said he was the greatest coach they ever had, while his stint in Germany played a key role in Germany winning the World Cup in 2014.

You clearly don't understand football works if you think he could turn Sagna into a 27-year-old Dani Alves, Wilfried Bony into Lewandowski and Jesus Navas into Arjen Robben with a bit of coaching.

There hasn't been a manager past or present who hasn't had to spend money to create the team he wants.

And why would he see how his squad plays and pick a system to suit? City didn't hire him to play transitional football with a bunch of players in their 30s.

Like Bayern, they hired him because he can get create a team playing a brand of football which is beautiful to watch and nigh on impossible to create for most managers.

You think spending money could just create the best team? Are you really that naive? You can spend as much as you want, it takes a very special manager to piece it all together and to implement it in a beautiful style.

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

He is a brilliant coach. He created the greatest club side ever, playing the best football.

Bayern players said he was the greatest coach they ever had, while his stint in Germany played a key role in Germany winning the World Cup in 2014.

You clearly don't understand football works if you think he could turn Sagna into a 27-year-old Dani Alves, Wilfried Bony into Lewandowski and Jesus Navas into Arjen Robben with a bit of coaching.

There hasn't been a manager past or present who hasn't had to spend money to create the team he wants.

And why would he see how his squad plays and pick a system to suit? City didn't hire him to play transitional football with a bunch of players in their 30s.

Like Bayern, they hired him because he can get create a team playing a brand of football which is beautiful to watch and nigh on impossible to create for most managers.

You think spending money could just create the best team? Are you really that naive? You can spend as much as you want, it takes a very special manager to piece it all together and to implement it in a beautiful style.

Yes, but Nigel Pearson :ph34r:

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Well there's a surprise,  someone else that disagrees with you so clearly doesn't understand football...

Not much more to say really you will continue to think the sun shines out of his behind no matter what whereas a lot will look at anything he achieves from now and realise the reality is that any half decent manager would be able to achieve the same with such ridiculous amounts of money spent.

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well there's a surprise,  someone else that disagrees with you so clearly doesn't understand football...

Not much more to say really you will continue to think the sun shines out of his behind no matter what whereas a lot will look at anything he achieves from now and realise the reality is that any half decent manager would be able to achieve the same with such ridiculous amounts of money spent.

Any half decent manager would be able to achieve the same? No they wouldn't.

They didn't hire him because if his ability to get results. There are numerous good managers out there who given £500m to spend could provide you a winning side.

They hired Pep Guardiola for his coaching ability. He provides a style of football which others like Jose Mourinho, Manuel Pellegrini, Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger couldn't.

Pep is a genius. To be able to coach your team to playing that brand of football is genius. There is no denying that.

Bayern players have called him the greatest coach they've ever had. They won everything under Jupp Heynckes, dominating everyone in one particular season and winning the treble. But in terms of coaching the side, they say Pep was the best as he brought ideas they had never seen before and a style of beautiful football never associated with Bayern.

I don't put Pep up there for his ability to win trophies. He has plenty of competition in that regard. I put him up there for his ability to coach the team and provide breathtaking football. SAF, Wenger, Mourinho all got nowhere near him in that regard.

On 23/08/2017 at 01:02, Bris Vegas said:

What is there to make excuses about? His failure to win the title last season? Nobody would have won the title with thay squad. Nobody.

Absolute rubbish. Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.