The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

6 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Quite right...the Invincibles side that Wenger built was absolutely incredible.... and Ferguson built teams time and time again that were unbelievable. 

Pep has done well so far but is miles behind Ferguson still. Miles behind 

Pep has only been in England 1 year... In terms of CL successes, he won just as many in 4 years at Barca as SAF did in 25 years at Utd.

But I don't build up his genius in terms of title success. There are numerous managers who have won honours, and numerous managers who have been forgotten already by the general footballing world.

Pep has already stamped his mark on the game. He is a coaching genius, having created the greatest club side the world had ever seen.

At City he has been given the opportunity to build his own side, and do something similar. I have 100% faith he will achieve his goal.

SAF and Wenger both created great sides who played attractive football, but neither shook the world and created a blueprint quite like Pep at Barcelona.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/24/2017 at 16:04, Bris Vegas said:

Any half decent manager would be able to achieve the same? No they wouldn't.

They didn't hire him because if his ability to get results. There are numerous good managers out there who given £500m to spend could provide you a winning side.

They hired Pep Guardiola for his coaching ability. He provides a style of football which others like Jose Mourinho, Manuel Pellegrini, Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger couldn't.

Pep is a genius. To be able to coach your team to playing that brand of football is genius. There is no denying that.

Bayern players have called him the greatest coach they've ever had. They won everything under Jupp Heynckes, dominating everyone in one particular season and winning the treble. But in terms of coaching the side, they say Pep was the best as he brought ideas they had never seen before and a style of beautiful football never associated with Bayern.

I don't put Pep up there for his ability to win trophies. He has plenty of competition in that regard. I put him up there for his ability to coach the team and provide breathtaking football. SAF, Wenger, Mourinho all got nowhere near him in that regard.

Mourinho maybe not, but Fergie & Wenger have produced some of the best club sides of the past half a century, and they won the trophies to go with it.  Derby played the best football of the 13/14 season, but what did we win???  F*** all!!!

If Pep is such a genius, how come his side managed to capitulate against Monaco last season?  And his Bayern side against Atletico the season before?  Not to mention big defeats by Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester(!!!!) & Everton?  You can get your sides to play pretty triangles with inverted wingbacks all season long, but if you come away at the end of it all with nothing to show for it, how great a manager can you be?  Don't get me wrong, he's outstanding at what he does, but if he doesn't win the big trophies this season, he'll be gone...

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Mourinho maybe not, but Fergie & Wenger have produced some of the best club sides of the past half a century, and they won the trophies to go with it.  Derby played the best football of the 13/14 season, but what did we win???  F*** all!!!

If Pep is such a genius, how come his side managed to capitulate against Monaco last season?  And his Bayern side against Atletico the season before?  Not to mention big defeats by Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester(!!!!) & Everton?  You can get your sides to play pretty triangles with inverted wingbacks all season long, but if you come away at the end of it all with nothing to show for it, how great a manager can you be?  Don't get me wrong, he's outstanding at what he does, but if he doesn't win the big trophies this season, he'll be gone...

He'll be gone? Like I mentioned previously, he's in season two of the biggest turnover of players in Europe.

No other side will make such vast changes because they simply don't have to.

Pep walked into a squad with an average age of 29! The oldest in the CL and PL last season. 

He has been tasked with creating a dynasty. City won't be stupid enough to sack him if he doesn't win a trophy this season.

He will no doubt have expectations placed on him, but City are looking at the long-term, not season-by-season.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

He'll be gone? Like I mentioned previously, he's in season two of the biggest turnover of players in Europe.

Pep walked into a squad with an average age of 29! The oldest in the CL and PL last season. 

He has been tasked with creating a dynasty. City won't be stupid enough to sack him if he doesn't win a trophy this season.

He will no doubt have expectations placed on him, but City are looking at the long-term, not season-by-season.

In the last 2 seasons the average age of the players he has offloaded is 25.7, the average age of players he acquired 23.4 and all on a shoestring budget of £300m...

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Except West Brom, Watford and Stoke to name a few...

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

In the last 2 seasons the average age of the players he has offloaded is 25.7, the average age of players he acquired 23.4 and all on a shoestring budget of £300m...

Not sure what you're suggesting, but that figure obviously is skewed by the number of youngsters released/sold as they aren't up to first-team squad ability.

Since Pep has come in the first-team squad players he has sold/let go are Demichelis (35), Dzeko (31), Jovetic (27), Caballero (35), Clichy (32), Jesus Navas (31), Sagna (34), Zabaleta (32), Zuculini (24), Kolorov (31), Fernando (30), Nasri (30) and Iheanacho (20) average age = 30.1 years.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure what you're suggesting, but that figure obviously is skewed by the number of youngsters released/sold as they aren't up to first-team squad ability.

Since Pep has come in the first-team squad players he has sold/let go are Demichelis (35), Dzeko (31), Jovetic (27), Caballero (35), Clichy (32), Jesus Navas (31), Sagna (34), Zabaleta (32), Zuculini (24), Kolorov (31), Fernando (30), Nasri (30) and Iheanacho (20) average age = 30.1 years.

I'm suggesting the excuse you are giving him is not backed up by actual facts.

If all of those youngsters were not up to first team ability surely his genius coaching would have brought them up to speed?

Off your list I see 2 maybe 3 regular starters.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm suggesting the excuse you are giving him is not backed up by actual facts.

If all of those youngsters were not up to first team ability surely his genius coaching would have brought them up to speed?

Off your list I see 2 maybe 3 regular starters.

You can't coach players who are simply not good enough. Surely you can understand this?

It's like Callum Ball. Clearly not good enough for the Championship, no matter how good your coaching is, he doesn't have the required attributes for this level.

Big teams release numerous youngsters from their academies every year. City are no different.

Pep, from the first-team squad he inherited, has slowly got rid of the ageing players who aren't good enough. 

1 minute ago, David said:

How did David Silva at 31 years old send a through ball in like that, thought they were all duffers at that age?

Impossible task to win the league with players as old and past it as him last year- no team has ever had such a squad of s**** old age pensioners

6 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

Does anyone remember when City were average s**** before the money rolled in, like Chelsea?

Just wondering.

Of course, it wasnt so long ago was it?

I remember watching them in the third tier relying on Shaun Goater and Paul Dickov to get them out of the division.

Likewise, although it was a longer time ago, I remember us under Cox going to chelsea, infront of a crowd of about 14k.

I think would have been around the time some people tipped them for the title, just because they had signed Andy Townsend and Dennis Wise.

Oh how things have changed.

Pep's obviously talented but does he really think he will win the premier league with that midfield? They're good with the ball but terrible without it. They need a strong defensive midfield in there. Every premier league winner has had pace and power through their spine. Pep should have been all over Fabinho in the summer. I've changed my mind, I think Man Utd will win the league.

18 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Pep's obviously talented but does he really think he will win the premier league with that midfield? They're good with the ball but terrible without it. They need a strong defensive midfield in there. Every premier league winner has had pace and power through their spine. Pep should have been all over Fabinho in the summer. I've changed my mind, I think Man Utd will win the league.

Replacing Toure/Fernandinho I think is a job for next summer.

He had more pressing matters this summer with the fullbacks and GK issue.

I like the 4141 system he uses. Jesus is so much more mobile than Aguero.

Archived