The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

De Bruyne has reached a whole new level under Pep

whilst Pep is doing well now, he was at this time last season too.

As for the comment quoted, not quite sure I agree. I don't even think De Bruyne has reached the level he reached in his first season at City, let alone new levels, Unless you mean specifically "under Pep". Which I suppose is accurate.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, HantsRam said:

So is he any good at finding the kids with world class potential? 

Or is that bit just a numbers game - you sign hundreds and hope 1 or 2 float to the surface?

Isn't it the job of the scouts and head of recruitment to sign under 16 players rather than that of the manager?

Pep certainly gives youth a chance. At Barca numerous young players got game-time who are now no longer there such as Cuenca, Tello, Bartra, Bojan, Jeffren, Montoya, Dos Santos plus Thiago and Pedro.

He hasn't been at a club long enough for an academy player to join and stick around long enough to become a world class player under him.

Hopefully he will be at City a long time 

5 hours ago, Moist One said:

whilst Pep is doing well now, he was at this time last season too.

As for the comment quoted, not quite sure I agree. I don't even think De Bruyne has reached the level he reached in his first season at City, let alone new levels, Unless you mean specifically "under Pep". Which I suppose is accurate.

His game has changed a lot.

In his first season he played behind Aguero in an attacking role, shielded by Fernandinho, Toure or Fernando in holding roles.

Now he plays a lot deeper, he dictates the game a lot more and has become more of a creator rather than a goal scoring midfielder.

He doesn't score as many goals as before, largely due to his position change, but I don't think that matters when you have Aguero, Jesus, Sane, Sterling and Silva in more advanced positions.

18 assists last season was nuts. So far he has 3 in 5 games this season. While also putting in more tackles, passes and chances created per game.

5 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Interesting article about City's joint ownership with La Liga side Girona. 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41348471

I've brought this up a few times aswell. In my opinion, the big clubs in England are reluctant to loan their better academy players out largely due to contrasting styles of play and the diversity in the English game.

Why would City, for instance, loan a player to Derby? We play completely different styles of football. How would game-time here under Gary Rowett prepare a player for City and Pep Guardiola's playing style and training methods?

It means English players will never get the right training or never acquire such technical ability, unless they come through City's ranks but are sent abroad for three years to play at a club like Girona with are adopting a similar ethos.

I think it's another smart move by City, who are clearly planning for the long-term.

Chelsea have farmed in numerous youngsters over the years, but for some reason perhaps their constant change in managers has blocked a path for these players to go on to become first-team regulars.

I mean, Chelsea have had De Bruyne and Lukaku on their books. Two players who'd fetch a combined £150m these days. Madness that they were never really given a chance at Stamford Bridge.

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I mean, Chelsea have had De Bruyne and Lukaku on their books. Two players who'd fetch a combined £150m these days. Madness that they were never really given a chance at Stamford Bridge.

I reckon - considering he's still only 26 - De Bruyne would cost a Neymar-level figure if Manchester City decided to sell, which they won't. He's an incredible player.

• 2 weeks later...

City's wonderful football comes from Guardiola's coaching ability.

It doesn't matter how much money you spend on a team, you still have to coach them to play a certain way.

It's not just a case of spending £300m and clicking your fingers and expecting the team to play brilliant football.

LVG spent loads at United but his team played like dogcrap. 

I hope City can steer clear of more injuries. The fixtures over the next 2-3 months start to come thick and fast.

31 minutes ago, David said:

Pep is a wonderful man, when I grow up I want to be just like Pep.

Genius = tick

Bald = tick

Short arse =

Well as Meatloaf sad 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

On a serious note it was great to see England reaping the rewards of Peps coaching. Thought both Sterling and Stones put in very solid 2 out of 10 performances last night, he's definitely taken them to a new level.

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Genius = tick

Bald = tick

Short arse =

On a serious note it was great to see England reaping the rewards of Peps coaching. Thought both Sterling and Stones put in very solid 2 out of 10 performances last night, he's definitely taken them to a new level.

Probably says more about Stone's teammates rather than the player himself as he's been excellent for City.

They've played 11 times in all competitions this season, conceding just 3 times.

So for much for Pep's teams being unable to defend.

35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Probably says more about Stone's teammates rather than the player himself as he's been excellent for City.

They've played 11 times in all competitions this season, conceding just 3 times.

So for much for Pep's teams being unable to defend.

Do you think Pep's coaching improves players as individuals, or is it more they improve within the context of his team?

It must be hard for some of his players when they go on international duty, only to find it's a step down in quality rather than up.

23 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Do you think Pep's coaching improves players as individuals, or is it more they improve within the context of his team?

It must be hard for some of his players when they go on international duty, only to find it's a step down in quality rather than up.

I think Pep improves players both individually and as a team player.

There may be some who can't get to grips with his playing style, no matter how good such as Toni Kroos, but for the majority they will become better players.

Pep coaches his players specifically to be better team players. He will coach his players to make those unselfish runs, player positioning in certain areas of the field, passing patterns etc which no doubt improves the players' tactical awareness.

Take Sterling for example. I don't think Pep will ever be able to coach him to have a better first touch, or to be able to strike the ball better, or cross the ball better.

But he will be able to coach him to become a better team player. Improve his positioning, awareness, game intelligence, decision-making and duty of role.

I agree, imagine being coached by Pep and playing alongside Silva, De Bruyne and Gabriel Jesus to then listening to training orders from Gareth Southgate and playing alongside Jake Livermore, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jordan Henderson and being expected to reach club-level performances.

On 06/10/2017 at 17:56, Bris Vegas said:

I think Pep improves players both individually and as a team player.

There may be some who can't get to grips with his playing style, no matter how good such as Toni Kroos, but for the majority they will become better players.

Pep coaches his players specifically to be better team players. He will coach his players to make those unselfish runs, player positioning in certain areas of the field, passing patterns etc which no doubt improves the players' tactical awareness.

Take Sterling for example. I don't think Pep will ever be able to coach him to have a better first touch, or to be able to strike the ball better, or cross the ball better.

But he will be able to coach him to become a better team player. Improve his positioning, awareness, game intelligence, decision-making and duty of role.

I agree, imagine being coached by Pep and playing alongside Silva, De Bruyne and Gabriel Jesus to then listening to training orders from Gareth Southgate and playing alongside Jake Livermore, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jordan Henderson and being expected to reach club-level performances.

That sounds good. When's he going to start?

On 06/10/2017 at 08:20, G STAR RAM said:

Genius = tick

Bald = tick

Short arse =

Players performing well for their club and not for England....nothing new there and says more about a problem with the national set up rather than PG coaching.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived