One win from Wembley ?

Doodle

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, David said:

Interesting to know if the draw has changed Rowett's approach to the Barnsley game, would we have used it as another opportunity to give the likes of Bennett more game time and bring through youngsters, or will the chance to play at Wembley and top up the clubs bank account see a full strength side put out.

Not sure he would have lost much sleep had we lost to Grimsby, but there's a few thousand more expectant fans now that we overcome Barnsley.

Also a great opportunity to take the players down to Wembley, never know where this season may lead, sorry if that's being slightly optimistic for a Thursday morning!

No need for apologies...im gazing towards London and forcing my autumn holiday break to be ratified.... see you all at Wembley.

3 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Typical! Been needing to tick White Hart Lane off for ages before it's destroyed and the one time we might get Spurs away it's at Wembley.

You're a bit late there, the lane has already been demolished. You'll have to wait for the new lane next season in the premier league!

4 hours ago, David said:

Interesting to know if the draw has changed Rowett's approach to the Barnsley game, would we have used it as another opportunity to give the likes of Bennett more game time and bring through youngsters, or will the chance to play at Wembley and top up the clubs bank account see a full strength side put out.

Not sure he would have lost much sleep had we lost to Grimsby, but there's a few thousand more expectant fans now that we overcome Barnsley.

Also a great opportunity to take the players down to Wembley, never know where this season may lead, sorry if that's being slightly optimistic for a Thursday morning!

He should change his view, a game at Wembley is obviously more money in the bank  whatever the price and attendance but more importantly a chance for some of ours to experience the place as potential we could be there in May in the play offs ( never discounting any cup runs to a final semi final etc )

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Right I will be the miserable old git.

If we beat Barnsley and the match is at Wembley I will not be going.

The match, for me, would represent everything that is going wrong with our game.

Wembley should be the pinnacle.

I want to see Derby winning there in a play off/cup final backed by 45000  fans, not 2 reserve teams playing in the 3rd round of a cup  (who's draw was made at 4am in China) in a half empty stadium...all because the FA got the budget for building the stadium wrong by a few hundred million.

I agree with all of that but I am nearly 52 and I haven't had the chance to go to Wembley to watch my team Derby County play in the league or FA cups ( yes I was there vs cremonasie and Leicester and WBA and QPR ) it's not perfect but I will be there unless something major stops me. ( probably Barnsley!) 

3 hours ago, Tombo said:

If we beat Barnsley, this game could be huge psychologically for those players who were in that play off final. Win and we exorcise the demons. Lose and it becomes "a thing" for us. 

Johnson won there with Norwich and Huddlestone with Hull ! 

4 hours ago, Tombo said:

If we beat Barnsley, this game could be huge psychologically for those players who were in that play off final. Win and we exorcise the demons. Lose and it becomes "a thing" for us. 

Not really, we will be huge underdogs, very little pressure, the players and fans will just be able to enjoy a day at Wembley. Playoff final is much bigger than the league cup 3rd round that nobody really cares that much about.

(Presuming Derby can overcome Barnsley)...

It would be an odd and rather bleak Wembley spectacle for a 3rd Round LC time to be played in front of (say) 30,000 spectators.

Would Spurs fans be very interested? Would more than 2,000 Rams fans want to bother with it?

Given that Spurs may want to rest much of their 'elite' squad for more important Prem & Champions League matches, why not switch the tie to Pride Park Stadium - so that a 25-30,000 gate there would make it much more of a crackling cup-tie?

It would also help Tottingham appease their constant, droning wrist-slashing fans on footy phone-in a & social media that bemoan their evident Wembley 'hoodoo'. 

Won't happen, I know - even though a Wembley 3rd Round tie seems fairly ridiculous for reasons discussed.

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

He should change his view, a game at Wembley is obviously more money in the bank  whatever the price and attendance but more importantly a chance for some of ours to experience the place as potential we could be there in May in the play offs ( never discounting any cup runs to a final semi final etc )

This is exactly right. For many players the playoff final is an unknown, turning up at Wembley not having encountered it before. It may be that we end up there again at the end of the season, and having the opportunity to play there before has got to be an advantage.

But it's Barnsley first. Let's hope the players rise to the occasion and do the business. It's a tough away draw and we can't take anything for granted.

Archived