Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chelsea losing at home to Burnley... Who saw that coming?

Liverpool and Arsenal looked shoddy defensively.

City looked great against Brighton. Missed some key chances and had to be patient. Their options on the bench was frightening.

It was hard to judge Brighton as their entire game plan was to stick everyone behind the ball and defend. With no pace on the counter, they couldn't get forward at all to force set pieces where they are at their most dangerous.

Brighton without pace could really struggle this year. Palace look crap too.

Brighton will be much better than what they showed today. They were obviously missing a few key players and will be a different proposition in a few weeks. When Knockaert is fully fit, when Izquierdo is available, and especially so if they sign a new striker. 

Hughton obviously looked at his options and thought the best way to get a result was to soak up pressure and contain City. For 70 minutes, it looked to be working. Against the teams in their ballpark, I think they will be a lot more positive and a lot more effective.

You can't read much into City there. They will have much stiffer tests.

As for Chelsea, of course, it's a result no-one saw coming. On the one hand, I feel sorry for Conte because Cahill and Fabregas simply let their teammates down with their decision-making. They were reckless, when you would expect more composure from senior professionals. 11 v 11, it's a different game. 

On the other hand, I think Conte got it wrong today from the first whistle. He gave Burnley some hope. Morata should have started, obviously of a much higher class than Batshuayi. Azpilicueta should have been the third centre back for the sake of continuity with Musonda as the attacking wing back from the start. Then after the sending off, to take off a winger for a centre back rather than simply adjusting to 4-4-1 seemed strange. You also wonder what could have been if Morata had been introduced at half time too.

That said, it's one game. It's not as though Chelsea were absolutely faultless last season either. They had off days. I expect a fighting response. But of course, it will only fuel the experts in their belief that Chelsea are in trouble. I don't think Conte would be there if it wasn't in his interests to be.

What is new with Arsenal and Liverpool? Not much to discuss.

On 19/08/2017 at 04:22, HantsRam said:

Arry promising to have Birmingham challenging for top 6 after burton did them 2-1.

Then caveated this confidence by saying that brum needed to be changing the squad and they were working very hard to do that. 

Crouchie and niko krancjar it is then.....:lol:

"You can't coach a team into being top six"… in a division in which you can literally take over a side which has finished bottom six, make them well drilled defensively and get them up there.

Brighton were soundly beaten at Leicester. From what I've seen of them so far, they're going to lack the goals to stay up.

Huddersfield on the other hand create chances aplenty. They just seemed wasteful last season.

Not seen Newcastle yet this season. But looks like they may also struggle for goals. 

On 8/15/2017 at 22:00, CumbrianRam said:

Ipswich going for a boring 1-0 0-0 0-1 team to free scoring

I bet Mick's livid "it's been a very poor start, 4 games on and hardly any opposition players have been taken off the field on stretchers. I can assure you that this will improve and tackling drills will be a big part in training this week"

Archived