View from the outside

Derbados

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't agree. He added on 9 minutes, of which 7 must've been added for timewasting exclusively by QPR.

Why should they have benefitted from those extra minutes above and beyond our 1st goal when they caused the delay in the 1st place?

Goalmouth scramble in our box afterwards, I'd have been steaming if they'd equalised during time that was only added on due to their timewasting.

How would that be fair?

I would suggest that Monday was not a typical example of time wasting.

I reckon the current system, or perhaps a stop-the-clock system, is the best but perhaps we should agree to disagree.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh, I don't really understand where the complaint could come from - Is the claim that time wasting is a legit footballing tactic and therefore if they take extra time it shouldn't be added on at the end?

A couple complained that another team did it last week at their place and the ref only added on 3 minutes (those have a point about inconsistency of referees), but most of them didn't even acknowledge that they were time wasting. They're probably so used to seeing it that they don't even realise it.

I think it was right that the ref added that much time at the end given the sheer arrogance of the time wasting at times - it was like an “I told you I’d add it on” message to the players that he must have been hinting to them through the game - if this was done more often then I reckon time wasting wouldn’t be so blatant.

What’s interesting is that I can’t remember the ref actually booking anyone for time wasting (?); he clearly saw the added minutes as the punishment. 

I take the point that the added time could have benefited QPR as well/instead, but with these clubs who set out to frustrate and run down the clock I expect that they’d figure that tactic to be less useful if they thought it would just get tacked on the end of the game.

The referee pointed to his watch on more than several occasions and made it known to the players he had stopped his watch and I agree that the 9 minutes were fully justified, however, the actual time added for "time-wasting" in the 2nd half was only 3 1/2 minutes, made up as follows:

The ref has to add time for substitutions, which is averaged at 20 seconds per sub, therefore:

QPR x3 subs = 1 minute + Rams x2 subs = 40 seconds = Total 1 min. 40 secs.

Wilsons injury was approx. 2 1/2 mins. & Smith's "injury" another 1 1/2 mins (although you could say that was time wasting) = Total 4 mins,

And because of the delay in taking the penalty, as well as the two celebrations after the goals were scored, we actually had 11 minutes added time.

12 hours ago, HantsRam said:

How would they know when to leave......they couldn't know when 10 mins before the end was!?

Would they not have a displayed clock, like they do in Basketball?  Do they do that in Rugby, or is just "All eyes on the ref"?

#genuinequestion

11 hours ago, curb said:

A couple complained that another team did it last week at their place and the ref only added on 3 minutes (those have a point about inconsistency of referees), but most of them didn't even acknowledge that they were time wasting. They're probably so used to seeing it that they don't even realise it.

Agreed - And I think this ref was an absolute breath of fresh air for making them eat their time wasting at the end

I was ranting to my best mate that they should just automatically book players for time wasting but to be fair this was a much better solution

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Agreed - And I think this ref was an absolute breath of fresh air for making them eat their time wasting at the end

I was ranting to my best mate that they should just automatically book players for time wasting but to be fair this was a much better solution

On the day, I agreed, because on this occasion it worked out well in the end.  On countless others, it wouldn't be so fruitful and I think the answer is Refs need to use a bit of both.  Make sure every second is added on for deliberate time wasting AND book the culprits too.  This will create a hangover problem for such teams, as the yellow cards mount up and lead to suspensions.  

39 minutes ago, RedSox said:

On the day, I agreed, because on this occasion it worked out well in the end.  On countless others, it wouldn't be so fruitful and I think the answer is Refs need to use a bit of both.  Make sure every second is added on for deliberate time wasting AND book the culprits too.  This will create a hangover problem for such teams, as the yellow cards mount up and lead to suspensions.  

I'm fine with that too!

I thought it was refreshing at the world cup last year when they gave penalties for all the fouls in the box at corners - I hate that there are certain things where it's become acceptable to essentially break the rules because refs don't want to give 'soft' fouls/penalties/cards - FIFA applied it for the world cup and it was great then everyone else ignored it and we're back to nonsense - For me time wasting falls into that category - It's written into the rules as being unacceptable yet refs rarely do anything about it

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I don't agree. He added on 9 minutes, of which 7 must've been added for timewasting exclusively by QPR.

Harry Wilson went down for a couple minutes, as did Bright Samuels and Matt Smith for QPR. 

You have 6 or 7 minutes there with those and substitutions, QPR would have only clocked up a couple minutes through legitimate time wasting on throw ins, goal kicks.

29 minutes ago, David said:

You have 6 or 7 minutes there with those and substitutions, QPR would have only clocked up a couple minutes through legitimate time wasting on throw ins, goal kicks.

My favourite was when their keeper "didn't know" whether it was a free kick or a goal kick - And then "couldn't hear" the referee because the South Stand were chanting at him - A solid minute of him pratting about trying to draw time out

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

My favourite was when their keeper "didn't know" whether it was a free kick or a goal kick - And then "couldn't hear" the referee because the South Stand were chanting at him - A solid minute of him pratting about trying to draw time out

Their player was down injured at the time, so he actually wasn't wasting time pratting around, at that point. The ref was just telling him to put the ball down. 

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

On A QPR Forum:"On Derby message boards they said we were quite good. Besides we didn`t have a settled defence at all. I am proud"

OK who said QPR were good? Hand in your season ticket immediately!

"On Derby message boards they said we were quite good. Besides we didn`t have a settled defence at all. I am proud" - said no Derby fan ever!

4 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

On A QPR Forum:"On Derby message boards they said we were quite good. Besides we didn`t have a settled defence at all. I am proud"

OK who said QPR were good? Hand in your season ticket immediately!

Well if you compare them to Rotherham or Bolton in the last two home games they were like peak Brazil.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Their player was down injured at the time, so he actually wasn't wasting time pratting around, at that point. The ref was just telling him to put the ball down. 

True - However he was specifically showing off his ability to time waste - The fact that the ball wasn't technically in play anyway doesn't take away from his pratting around 

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

True - However he was specifically showing off his ability to time waste - The fact that the ball wasn't technically in play anyway doesn't take away from his pratting around 

I know, I was with the rest of the South Stand screaming for the ref to just book him (maybe not those words ?

Archived