Callum McManaman - Signed for Sunderland

Sexydadbod

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Simsy said:

This has been posted in another thread 'summer transfer suggestion thread'. User stating it's not worth its own one due to the twitter user not being a proven reliable source.

I think it is pretty reliable since looking at the dates, he was one of the first to reveal Gareth Barry to West Brom? Seems odd making up a transfer rumour like that if not authentic.

18 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Surprised no-one has made a topic yet

From the same guy who said Gareth Barry to West Brom 

Or the fact it's in summer suggestion thread. 

For me he's just too similar to the likes of Weimann and Russell. Works hard and can produce a bit of magic every now and then, but hasn't been at his best for a few years now. I'm not against signing players who's form has dipped in recent seasons and are in need of a fresh start, but I think we should be looking at someone who can offer something different to Weimann and Russell. 

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

For me he's just too similar to the likes of Weimann and Russell. Works hard and can produce a bit of magic every now and then, but hasn't been at his best for a few years now. I'm not against signing players who's form has dipped in recent seasons and are in need of a fresh start, but I think we should be looking at someone who can offer something different to Weimann and Russell. 

The big difference though, is that Russell and Weimann are both strikers who have been forced to become wingers. McManaman is a wideman through and through, and the type of player that we could do with, especially with Lawrence on the other flank.

McManaman has some skill and technical ability from what I've seen, so that instantly sets him apart from Russell and Weimann. At Wednesday they play a very flat 442 so that might be one reason he didn't hit it off there, here McManaman would have more of a licence and freedom to do his thing. I think for what, £2m(?) I think he'd be worth a gamble. Lawrence LW - Vydra CAM - McManaman RW would be decent in my opinion.

Just now, DcFc Dyycheee said:

McManaman has some skill and technical ability from what I've seen, so that instantly sets him apart from Russell and Weimann. At Wednesday they play a very flat 442 so that might be one reason he didn't hit it off there, here McManaman would have more of a licence and freedom to do his thing. I think for what, £2m(?) I think he'd be worth a gamble. Lawrence LW - Vydra CAM - McManaman RW would be decent in my opinion.

Completely agree. I think we'd need to slim the squad down a bit more first. It pushes out the likes of Weimann, Russell, Anya and even Butterfield to a certain extent in a 4231. Last year of his contract so it definitely fits the Derby criteria of:

-Premier Experience

-Potential Bargain in an over inflated market 

-Point to prove 

5 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

£2m doesn't sound like much in the grand scheme of things, but it's the high wages he'd be on just to sit and do nothing if the signing failed. We took a gamble for fairly low fees on Anya, Blackman and Weimann and none of those have made much of an impact since signing. Those 3 are probably on a combined 60k at the very least and we've got about less than 10 goals and assists between them. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Would be available at a decent price so wouldn't mind him here, but can't help but feel if the money's there, there are much better options out there.

I had this same conundrum. For £2 million you could potentially pick up one or two players from abroad. I can't see Gary taking a Razza-esque gamble. As I think he'd rather a player in their mid 20's with some form of experience or 'pedigree' at this level. 

17 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The big difference though, is that Russell and Weimann are both strikers who have been forced to become wingers. McManaman is a wideman through and through, and the type of player that we could do with, especially with Lawrence on the other flank.

Still don't see a huge difference in what he can offer in comparison to Russell and Weimann. I was hoping we'd bring in someone who can create plenty of chances or who will score the goals from right wing that Ince did, not another winger who will work hard. If we trust McManaman to rediscover his form of 3+ years ago from his time at Wigan, I'd hope our fans would be patient enough to give Russell the chance to rediscover his form of 1-2 years ago. 

Archived