Chance encounters with famous people

Chester40

I enjoy hearing about people's impressions of 'famous' people they bump into/meet at random places.  Anyone got any they wish to share....good, bad, indifferent. ??

I actually literally bumped into Kris Commons on Tues. He was in the audience leaving the filming of TVs Ninja Warrior. He was with the kids and a distinctly 'normal' looking wife who was nagging him and telling him to get a picture of her and the kids. Gets 8/10 for being an average joe!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Guess it depends what an encounter is...

I saw both bryson and barker in morrisons doing their grocery shopping with the other halves, both looked fed up but then dont we all, guess that makes them seem 'more' normal.

Saw Hughes and Hendrick in revolution on NYE one year, having a few beers and eyeying up a few girls, my mrs and her friend got a picture with them.

Sat at the same table in a packed duke of argyll in london as kate walsh and her boyfriend from the apprentice just after it was televised. Seemed like a normal nice couple, didnt really speak other than a hello.

Have actually seen a few from big brother when in london, but dont really class them as famous.

The most bizarre i saw was at about 1 in the morning walking through the city area of london and this roller goes past and hasseloff was in the passenger seat hanging out the window shouting about something or other.

Sith Happens

Having a beer in the hunters in Kilburn a few weeks back and Roy Macfarland was in there with friends having a cheese board and pork pie.

Pulled a pint for Brian Clough, probably shouldn’t have as he was fairly tipsy at the time, didn’t want a bollocking though.

Sat at a table next to Wanchope and Burton at Antibo’s, got their autograph on the back of a Sainsbury’s till receipt, was before the days of a selfie.

Been down Moor Farm so that’s kinda cheating but shook the hand of Paul Clement there, said hello to a Chris Martin coming back early for pre season training, awkward quick conversation with Hughes and Forsyth on the treatment tables. 

Sat opposite McClaren 2 with a plate of sausages that spelt out Dave.

Had Mel Morris in my house for a cuppa.

Quick chat with Owen Bradley before they went on air, Ed Dawes took one look at me and walked off. 

@Boycie bought me a pint down his local.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Pulled a pint for Brian Clough, probably shouldn’t have as he was fairly tipsy at the time, didn’t want a bollocking though.

Sat at a table next to Wanchope and Burton at Antibo’s, got their autograph on the back of a Sainsbury’s till receipt, was before the days of a selfie.

Been down Moor Farm so that’s kinda cheating but shook the hand of Paul Clement there, said hello to a Chris Martin coming back early for pre season training, awkward quick conversation with Hughes and Forsyth on the treatment tables. 

Sat opposite McClaren 2 with a plate of sausages that spelt out Dave.

Had Mel Morris in my house for a cuppa.

Quick chat with Owen Bradley before they went on air, Ed Dawes took one look at me and walked off. 

@Boycie bought me a pint down his local.

At the same meeting, I told Hughes I'd seen him at DFS, he didn't see me apparently.

@David bought me a tramp juice, and pork scratchings if I remember right?

oh!

saw Ken Barlow in Fortnum and Mason while shopping last xmas.

Just now, Boycie said:

At the same meeting, I told Hughes I'd seen him at DFS, he didn't see me apparently.

@David bought me a tramp juice, and pork scratchings if I remember right?

As I say, awkward conversation. Thought you bought the scratchings, I maybe wrong 

32 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Did you say anything or just let her carry on?

I muttered something along the lines of "Typical uppity barmaid"

I think it would have been in around '94, I went to watch us against Wolves at Molyneux. I went with a friend who was from there originally, so we parked up at his mum's and walked to the ground. We took a short cut through a car park just as a huge 4x4 was parking. At that time there weren't many 4x4s around, the biggest being the Range Rover. Well this one looked about twice the size of the Range Rover. Anyway, out got a bloke with long blonde hair tied in a ponytail with gold and black ribbons. My mate wondered what was wrong with me as I stood there, mouth open in shock, gazing at the guy. It took me about 10 minutes before I could tell him it was Robert Plant. I've been kicking myself ever since for not at least saying "good afternoon" to him, but I was literally too shocked to speak. At least I felt better later when we did them 2-0.

When I worked in the pub opposite the train station I have served Chris Moyles and his radio 1 clan when he was doing his tour and did his breakfast show at the guild hall, they were in to watch Spurs in the Champions League, he tried to ignore everyone and let Comedy Dave speak to everyone. Served Niall Horan after the West Ham game on New Years Eve (?) about 5 years ago played the ignorance of knowing who he was, had Seth Johnson in on a Monday morning drinking Peroni with 2 other guys, they were effing and jeffing so went over to tell them to keep it down, Seth hadn't been to the bar so didn't realise that he was there until I went over.

See Ed Dawes and @OwenB87 a couple of times a month walking through town.

Saw Michael Vaughan at the services outside Birmingham yesterday as he was on his way to the cricket.

Met the 04/05 squad in Zanzibar on the xmas night out, they were all in fancy dress, spoke to quite a few of them. Lee Camp was a typical 19-20 year old ogling over the girls, Idiakez came up to us shouted "Derby, Premier league, come on!" Then disappeared. Ian Taylor was dressed as a naughty school girl and had 6 inch heels on, this is 6 foot 2 Ian Taylor. Stood at the bar next to him, he had his back to me as I was ordering, he turned round asked if I was staring up his skirt, never felt so intimidated :lol: shook my head he laughed turned round and carried on his conversation :lol: Paul Boertien (was injured at the time) was sat all on his dressed as Snow White, no one was going up to him and loomed pretty down, so went over asked how his injury was doing and wished luck and told that I hoped he was back soon, and you could see it had made his night. And saw him about 4-5 years ago at Hickory Dickory's kids play area in Mackworth had a bit of a kick around with him and his kid with my lad.

Think that is about it.

Lou Macari bought me a beer on the train back to Manchester after being thumped by Spurs during 'that' season. Horrible day out being 3-0 after about 15 minutes. He was a really good bloke and spoke to a couple of us all the way back to Stoke. Remember him saying it was going to be a tough year for us and by god he was right!

Served Michael Dawson at the bar when he was best man at a wedding in Risley.

Went to Steve Coogan's end-of-tour party at Uni because my friend was playing in the band. Insane night.

Fortunate enough to speak to plenty of footballers & sportsmen through work, including a few personal heroes (Igor, Wanchope, Mart Poom).

2 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Served Michael Dawson at the bar when he was best man at a wedding in Risley.

Went to Steve Coogan's end-of-tour party at Uni because my friend was playing in the band. Insane night.

Fortunate enough to speak to plenty of footballers & sportsmen through work, including a few personal heroes (Igor, Wanchope, Mart Poom).

It's a bit not fair letting you play this game :)

Archived