'Cherished number plates - does yours offend (or amuse)?

Phoenix

The new September ’67’ plate is here and with it, some outstanding opportunities to source a unique plate that is both lewd and crude. Well, there would be if it wasn’t for those hawk-eyed folk at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). As ever, they’ve been culling the worst offenders to ensure that the sensibilities of UK drivers aren’t offended while out on the road.

According to AutoExpress Magazine, some of the ‘highlights’ from the ’67’ plate batch include OR67 ASM, DO67 SHT, DO67 GER, NO67 HED, AR67 OLE and BA67 ARD. These are but a handful of those detailed in an epic, ten-page document that the DVLA gave to the publication.

The agency conducts the culling process twice a year. Its remit is not just to stop smutty plates making it out into the wild, but also to stop anything that could be deemed potentially offensive on racial, religious or political grounds. Examples include JE55 US and U16 OUT (the latter in relation to the then-impending Brexit referendum).

A friend of my wife's has one that reads 10 BEY, although she claims it belongs to her son. My favourite is one that I saw frequently in the 1970s - CYN 1 C

Whay's yours?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new 67 plate and all it's possibilities for, errm, making you look pathetic, desperate and deluded that numbers look like missing letters. Some of the subs make no sense whatsoever.

I did see a car with 2X NOB on it when out on a walk a number of years ago. Not really sure what they were trying to say. "This is my nob extension' perhaps?

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Pen 15 slipped through the net a long time ago, apparently. 

In the early 70's (from memory) modifications were made to the Driving License, including  a reference number consisting of

First 5 letters of surname

Date of Birth

Initials, then some other stuff.

A certain Mr Penistone was apparently not amused. True story.

I can get behind it principle if it's a banger. An old 3 initials plus number, fine.

What I find cringeworthy is when folks buy a plate, space the characters out oddly, have an off coloured screw cap to make a C into an E or whatever...and I still haven't got a clue what it's supposed to say.

If you can't afford the real deal, don't bother.

7 minutes ago, needles said:

I can get behind it principle if it's a banger. An old 3 initials plus number, fine.

What I find cringeworthy is when folks buy a plate, space the characters out oddly, have an off coloured screw cap to make a C into an E or whatever...and I still haven't got a clue what it's supposed to say.

If you can't afford the real deal, don't bother.

And then get it printed in Comic Sans, or similar.

Archived