Love or hate cyclists?

Boycie

Cyclists  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Cyclists/motorists have a fairly equal ratio of tw4ts in each group I would say.

The councils/government annoys me the most in that they do nothing to help resolve the situation and we're left some Mad Max esque  free for all on the roads/paths.

the ratio applies to pedestrians too in my experience!

But yeah - in Europe cycle paths are everywhere and clearly marked. Pedestrians have their own bit of pavement. Cars have..you know the roads. Seems to work pretty well :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Cyclists/motorists have a fairly equal ratio of tw4ts in each group I would say.

The councils/government annoys me the most in that they do nothing to help resolve the situation and we're left some Mad Max esque  free for all on the roads/paths.

Yep you are right, as a motorist last year I got caught up in some charity bike ride going through belper. I was stuck behind cyclists but couldn't overtake safely as cars coming other way. This cyclist behind me kept catching me up and ended up banging on my car roof telling me to f off out the way. OK I'll knock some of your fellow cyclists off shall I so I'm not in your way? t**** on both sides indeed.

45 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

We cycle, don't go fast but on shared bridle ways always hope pedestrians will spot us but do use the bell if not, but you are right quite a few look at you like you have murdered a kitten or something for ringing the bell.

So if I sound my car horn at a cyclist, I can expect them to move out of the way so I can overtake them and also receive a smile and a pleasant wave as I pass them.

Sith Happens
Just now, 1of4 said:

So if I sound my car horn at a cyclist, I can expect them to move out of the way so I can overtake them and also receive a smile and a pleasant wave as I pass them.

The horn isn't intended for that function, the bell is. 

4 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

But yeah - in Europe cycle paths are everywhere and clearly marked. Pedestrians have their own bit of pavement. Cars have..you know the roads. Seems to work pretty well :)

Yeh,forgot pedestrians...tw4ts and don't get me started on that mobility scooter nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yep you are right, as a motorist last year I got caught up in some charity bike ride going through belper. I was stuck behind cyclists but couldn't overtake safely as cars coming other way. This cyclist behind me kept catching me up and ended up banging on my car roof telling me to f off out the way. OK I'll knock some of your fellow cyclists off shall I so I'm not in your way? t**** on both sides indeed.

Was it on a Sunday?

I think it's cyclists only on Derbyshires roads on a Sunday?

Sith Happens
Just now, coneheadjohn said:

Was it on a Sunday?

I think it's cyclists only on Derbyshires roads on a Sunday?

It was actually lol

There are idiots on both sides, but I personally think everyone who uses the road should be required to take some kind of test on highway code or similar. Helmets should also be mandatory if you are riding on the road - why they aren't already I have no idea.

12 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

The problem in the UK is that councils are told they need to install a certain amount of cycle paths in their area. That then leads to them putting cycle paths wherever they can fit them, so you end up with 100 meters of cycle path and then it just disappears into nothing.

18 hours ago, GenBr said:

The problem in the UK is that councils are told they need to install a certain amount of cycle paths in their area. That then leads to them putting cycle paths wherever they can fit them, so you end up with 100 meters of cycle path and then it just disappears into nothing.

Yeah it's half-arsed in the UK. Cycle paths that disappear into nothing and Cycle paths that are just pavements. I've had pedestrians yell at me to use the roads when I've been cycling on the pavement around Pride Park. Actually had to march one of them up to the sign that designates it as a cycle path. If I had to cycle on those roundabouts at Pride Park in busy traffic I'd have been dead years ago. Motorists treat them like inconveniences towards them driving in a straight line

40 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah it's half-arsed in the UK. Cycle paths that disappear into nothing and Cycle paths that are just pavements. I've had pedestrians yell at me to use the roads when I've been cycling on the pavement around Pride Park. Actually had to march one of them up to the sign that designates it as a cycle path. If I had to cycle on those roundabouts at Pride Park in busy traffic I'd have been dead years ago. Motorists treat them like inconveniences towards them driving in a straight line

Come and look at this sign you c*nt!?

Archived