Confess your unpopular opinions

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I suppose you missed the bit about bringing democracy to the world, education, trade, infrastructure, rules, laws, oh and Sport (Rugby, Cricket, Football). Nah We'll skip that, we're just all descended from racists bigots.

It's the hypocrisy that makes me chuckle. The points listed in response to you are mainly still alive and well in certain parts of this world. Let's sort that out before feeling bad about stuff that had nothing to do with me or anyone else on this forum.

Not calling anyone a hypocrite on here. It's more a general point on morale compasses and who and how they are held to certain people who have nothing to do with anything.

7 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I'm not judging the people and processes of that time. I'm just pointing out the ludicrous nature of your comment saying that you would rather live in that world.

You didn't you clearly pointed out all the bad things about the Empire without regard to the good it did. And yes I'd rather live with pioneering explorers, and loyal countrymen, to the shambles we have around us today. 

28 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

You didn't you clearly pointed out all the bad things about the Empire without regard to the good it did. And yes I'd rather live with pioneering explorers, and loyal countrymen, to the shambles we have around us today. 

Once again, I wasn't talking about the empire, I was talking about the world in which the empire took place. Fundamentally, it was a terrible place for many groups of people compared to the modern world. 

2 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Once again, I wasn't talking about the empire, I was talking about the world in which the empire took place. Fundamentally, it was a terrible place for many groups of people compared to the modern world. 

Compared to Syria? Compared to Sierra Leone? Ok fair enough, still think your back tracking youth 

39 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Compared to Syria? Compared to Sierra Leone? Ok fair enough, still think your back tracking youth 

Not a bad point, perhaps I was looking at it through the fairly rose-tinted spectacles of middle England. Still, I know which one I would continue to choose.

4 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Not a bad point, perhaps I was looking at it through the fairly rose-tinted spectacles of middle England. Still, I know which one I would continue to choose.

Fair enough and maybe im looking at it through my monical while wearing my red jacket and white trousers, whilst standing above a dead lion with my 12 bore in hand ;) .

Just now, TexasRam said:

Fair enough and maybe im looking at it through my monical while wearing my red jacket and white trousers, whilst standing above a dead lion with my 12 bore in hand ;) .

Ps before I get strung up, I'm not a hunting fan (quite the opposite, apart from Fishing which I love)

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I suppose you missed the bit about bringing democracy to the world, education, trade, infrastructure, rules, laws, oh and Sport (Rugby, Cricket, Football). Nah We'll skip that, we're just all descended from racists bigots.

Who did we bring democracy to? 

Does 'No taxation without representation' ring a bell?

We did bring trade I will give you that. We brought the slave trade to millions of Africans and the opium trade to millions of Chinese. 

Trade was for our benefit not for the countries we invaded. Trade organisations like the East India Company had their own army to keep the natives in check. 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Who did we bring democracy to? 

Does 'No taxation without representation' ring a bell?

We did bring trade I will give you that. We brought the slave trade to millions of Africans and the opium trade to millions of Chinese. 

Trade was for our benefit not for the countries we invaded. Trade organisations like the East India Company had their own army to keep the natives in check. 

And that trade as given you the life your accustomed too. 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

And that trade as given you the life your accustomed too. 

Not really that much. I come from mining stock.

Even if it did how does that prove your point?

Are you saying treating blacks and Asians like s**** is ok if it makes you well off?

28 minutes ago, sage said:

Not really that much. I come from mining stock.

Even if it did how does that prove your point?

Are you saying treating blacks and Asians like s**** is ok if it makes you well off?

It proves my point because we are living and thriving on all the things our fellow countrymen did in the past, like it or not it's the truth. We are a small island with very little natural resource with terrific economical power, how do you think we have that? 

And nope absolutely not, please highlight where I said that, and again your concentrating on the negatives and not all the good we did. Keep going all night sunshine........

9 hours ago, sage said:

Slavery?

Stripping countries of their mineral wealth?

Destroying whole cultures like the aborigines? 

Starting a war with China so we could sell their people opium?

Decimating the native American population on the eastern side of America. They didn't just live in the Wild West. That just the point where they got fed up with us.

Promising Palestine to the Arabs and the Jews.

Massacaring hundreds of peacefully protesting Indians in India.

We did build some lovely bridges though.

And you could leave your front door unlocked.

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I don't think we should forget about our history, nor should other countries or empires who have done terrible things. But we should not feel shame or guilt for the actions of people who are long since dead.

How many of us blame young Germans or Japanese for their descendants atrocities? Not many I hope.

How far do you go back? Should I be angry with the French for the 1066 invasion?

I feel bad people suffered, I don't feel any guilt or shame though.

Good post. 

We should be able to learn and teach our history without bias. 

There's not a modern nation or country on earth that hasn't committed crimes against humanity at some point.

The important thing is to recognise that and ensure it doesn't happen again.

54 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It proves my point because we are living and thriving on all the things our fellow countrymen did in the past, like it or not it's the truth. We are a small island with very little natural resource with terrific economical power, how do you think we have that? 

And nope absolutely not, please highlight where I said that, and again your concentrating on the negatives and not all the good we did. Keep going all night sunshine........

How does it prove your point? Your original point was you are tired of people saying our empire was bad and modern people are spineless

How does that fact that Britain has benefitted economically from having an empire, something no-one has argued against, prove this point?

How does the fact that Britain is well off in anyway connected to the morality of empire unless you are saying immoral behaviour can be justified by prosperity?   

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/08/2017 at 23:26, uttoxram75 said:

If the country really needs austerity then we should try it on the rich. 

Its not worked out well hammering the poor for the last decade or so, shall we try summat different?

Cheese is brill.

This happening. It's real.

While in Tuscany for the summer I had a terrible time finding avocados, and my new housekeeper it turns out has 'a sick mother' and can't iron my newspaper each morning.

I had an awful time. Real hardship.

Archived