BurtonRam7

Confess your unpopular opinions

Latest Updates

On 8/11/2017 at 16:21, Moist One said:

Britain, and the previous British Empire, have lots to be ashamed of. Perhaps more to be ashamed of than to be proud of.

Absolutely true, there should be no doubting it, in fact I would dispense with the 'perhaps' entirely. 

But it's also true of all the other European Empires...and of pretty much all the non European empires.  And all the people who didn't have empires would probably have been just as bad had they had the opportunity to conquer and rule. Human nature has meant that the powerful exploited the weak throughout history all over the world. 

Each country attempts to paint itself in a positive light, ignoring it's historical crimes and focusing on the positives. You have to do a little digging to get closer to the truth.

4 hours ago, sage said:

Slavery?

Stripping countries of their mineral wealth?

Destroying whole cultures like the aborigines? 

Starting a war with China so we could sell their people opium?

Decimating the native American population on the eastern side of America. They didn't just live in the Wild West. That just the point where they got fed up with us.

Promising Palestine to the Arabs and the Jews.

Massacaring hundreds of peacefully protesting Indians in India.

We did build some lovely bridges though.

Give me the days of the British empire over the spineless masses we have today. Folk offended by everything including our heritage, makes me sick! 

18 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Give me the days of the British empire over the spineless masses we have today. Folk offended by everything including our heritage, makes me sick! 

So thinking slavery is a bad thing makes you spineless?

11 minutes ago, sage said:

So thinking slavery is a bad thing makes you spineless?

I didn't say it was, what I said was "give me the days of the British empire over the spinless masses we have today". Not at one point in that statement did I say thinking slavery is a bad thing makes you spinless. Good bit of twisting there, do you work for the sun? 

I don't think we should forget about our history, nor should other countries or empires who have done terrible things. But we should not feel shame or guilt for the actions of people who are long since dead.

How many of us blame young Germans or Japanese for their descendants atrocities? Not many I hope.

How far do you go back? Should I be angry with the French for the 1066 invasion?

I feel bad people suffered, I don't feel any guilt or shame though.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Oh yeah, the days when black people were treated as white people's property, when children were forced into dangerous labour, when being gay was punishable by death, when the old and the poor and the sick were left to die, when the monarch could do whatever they wanted and when it was seen as acceptable to carry out the mass murder of indigenous populations were so much better than today, where people get offended by statues.

Edited by BurtonRam7

33 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Oh yeah, the days when black people were treated as white people's property, when children were forced into dangerous labour, when being gay was punishable by death, when the old and the poor and the sick were left to die, when the monarch could do whatever they wanted and when it was seen as acceptable to carry out the mass murder of indigenous populations were so much better than today, where people get offended by statues.

I suppose you missed the bit about bringing democracy to the world, education, trade, infrastructure, rules, laws, oh and Sport (Rugby, Cricket, Football). Nah We'll skip that, we're just all descended from racists bigots.

24 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I suppose you missed the bit about bringing democracy to the world, education, trade, infrastructure, rules, laws, oh and Sport (Rugby, Cricket, Football). Nah We'll skip that, we're just all descended from racists bigots.

We've not bought democracy to our own country, never mind the world.

Or have you forgot our hereditary head of state?

35 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I'm not judging the people and processes of that time. I'm just pointing out the ludicrous nature of your comment saying that you would rather live in that world.