Derby County v Wolverhampton Wanderers - match day thread

Kernow

Has anyone else noticed how clueless we look at attacking corners?

The same four players wander into a 5 yard radius and stand still. No one at the front or back post. No players on the edge of the box for the clearance. No late runs from deep.

What do they do in training?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely depressing performance. Reminded me of us vs Liverpool under Pearson where by the end I was clock watching, just waiting for it to be over. 

The only positive is that this will up the pressure on GR signing at least two attacking players (I hope). Not saying that panic buying is the way to go, but Russell and Weimann as starters all season will get us to 12th place max. 

One thing which is starting to hit home to me, is the lack of players who make a real difference.

I think I heard ramage mention this.

Martin and Huddlestone are the only ones we have.

We need a forward player or 2 who will dominate an opponent and be a cut above what we have.

I was genuinely excited when we signed Anya last season, but he has turned out to be just another body who can do a job.

Same with Weiman,, not the same player he was at Aston Villa.

What baffles me is the apparent lack of enthusiasm and desire only two games into the season. Ok, so some of them may feel they may be sold if bids come in, so why are they not trying to change GRs mind or impress a prospective buyer?

Most of the time when Carson had the ball, in his hands or goal kick, we immediately lost possession. If there wasn't anyone near enough to roll it to he kicked it straight down the middle virtually every time. Surprisingly the opposition noticed and were waiting for it! Even if Martin tried for it there were at least three wolves players crowding him out and waiting for it each time.

And I thought with Huddlestone we might get decent corners, but every one he hits exactly the same, floated in to the far post, no pace, no variety.

i left early yesterday for the first time in my life to catch the train- and was grateful I had an excuse! On Tuesday I'll miss the last 15 minutes ( you can't expect a train to Loughborough to be later than 9.30!) and I just hope I won't be so pleased to leave!

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I would still like to know what causes the apathy amongst the players. These are all guys who have enjoyed success in the past but through a succession of managers we still have a group who could scarcely be described as champing at the bit.

And I'm not just a wrist slasher reacting to yesterday. 

We have talent but are short on desire.

Just like to say how pleased I was to see someone write "champing at the bit" instead of "chomping".

Nothing original to say about yesterday's game - seen it all before too many times recently.

16 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I've seen about 4/5 stories on here or twitter about players who "don't care" speeding out the parking lot 10 minutes before the end.

Yours is even less believeable because you've tried to stick two players into one car, much better off going with the classic Vydra on his own in a Ferrari.

Even if it was true, why would I care and why would you think anyone else cares? I love this club as much as anyone, I've been posting on here religiously since I was 14 and I've left on the 70th minute before. There are more important things in life than watching us lose 3-0 to Birmingham or 2-0 to Wolves. That's true for me and for Marcus Olsson.

Good for you mate.

Ok had a day to reflect. I'm one that usually sits on the happy clapper end of the scale but even after a day I can't take one positive from yesterday's performance. We were sloppy in possession easily carved open through midfield and defence clueless in attack, at 60 mins i looked toward the bench after we had been carved open yet again looking for some kind of inspiration, no nothing there. I felt we were unable to alter our style of play to affect what was happening on the pitch. What I found most depressing was our total lack of identity we looked like a team hoping something would happen rather than one that thought it could alter the outcome. I don't mind losing if I can see some form of plan, that the players understand what is expected of them and their team mates. Yesterday I saw a bunch of strangers kicking a ball about and yet wolves were supposed to be the team needing to gel. Unlike a lot of others on here I don't think Russell or weimann are the biggest problem whilst we have a midfield of Huddlestone, Johnson and Butterfield we won't win many if any games. Johnson is a truly terrible footballer, a massive downgrade on Hendrick. Butterfield is a passenger unable or unwilling to stand up a make a difference and the saviour huddlestone is great if you give him half an hour on the ball and players in space to ping it to otherwise he is as much use as the other two. People talk about this league getting tougher each year I don't buy that, there is nothing to be afraid of talent wise in this league, but it is unforgiving unless we can start playing like a team with purpose and understanding of each players roles and responsibilities with the team it will be a long, tough season.

Here's a short video with the highlights from the yesterday's match, which I re-edited and assembled for our fans.

It's interesting because it was recorded from a different angle than the Highlights from the Channel 5.

We can see clearly how team played and which of our players got caught out of the position during the match causing us imminent goal threat.

1 minute ago, Spenno said:

Ok had a day to reflect. I'm one that usually sits on the happy clapper end of the scale but even after a day I can't take one positive from yesterday's performance. We were sloppy in possession easily carved open through midfield and defence clueless in attack, at 60 mins i looked toward the bench after we had been carved open yet again looking for some kind of inspiration, no nothing there. I felt we were unable to alter our style of play to affect what was happening on the pitch. What I found most depressing was our total lack of identity we looked like a team hoping something would happen rather than one that thought it could alter the outcome. I don't mind losing if I can see some form of plan, that the players understand what is expected of them and their team mates. Yesterday I saw a bunch of strangers kicking a ball about and yet wolves were supposed to be the team needing to gel. Unlike a lot of others on here I don't think Russell or weimann are the biggest problem whilst we have a midfield of Huddlestone, Johnson and Butterfield we won't win many if any games. Johnson is a truly terrible footballer, a massive downgrade on Hendrick. Butterfield is a passenger unable or unwilling to stand up a make a difference and the saviour huddlestone is great if you give him half an hour on the ball and players in space to ping it to otherwise he is as much use as the other two. People talk about this league getting tougher each year I don't buy that, there is nothing to be afraid of talent wise in this league, but it is unforgiving unless we can start playing like a team with purpose and understanding of each players roles and responsibilities with the team it will be a long, tough season.

The one positive you could say is that it highlighted our midfield deficiencies!

Forgot how many chances they had.

Did anyone else realize how Forsyth looked so isolated. As in no support most of the game. I was watching Weimann and he was more centrally (Possibly providing support for Martin it seemed) but this left Forsyth a lot of the time 2v1 even 3v1 on some occasions.

Obviously we missed Ince's tracking back and creative spark too...  

8 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

Did anyone else realize how Forsyth looked so isolated.

The wingers were told to tuck in. JR looked uncomfortable doing so. The backs were too high to support this with the Wolves' set up. A simple change would have addressed the balance. Tell the backs not to play high and the wingers to go wide. This is the scary bit I'm afraid, as no-one on the touch line appeared to address this (I'm not far behind GR on the West side - enough to get blinded by the internal facing pitch wallboards).

Fozzie was totally out of his depth looking unfit and out of place. Wisdom was a last ditch runner.

It was almost like a Clement style 433 death wish, just to prove a point, was being enacted and similarly like someone else had picked the side.

To quote the late Steve Marriott... "I wonder...?"

5 hours ago, hkrammm said:

Finally have a chance to watch the game. Am surprised that no one but Lokidoki pointed out the problem: Pressing too high causing the defense to spread too thin.

I didn't expect to see that. In the pre-season matches, in particular the one against Hoffenheim, it was more containment rather than pressing. During the live stream, Bent, as a pundit, also said that pressing would be a waste of energy, when playing against a team so good on the ball. Well, the problem is not really about energy but about losing shape and spreading too thin when pressing fails. 

Especially Wwhen your DM is Huddlestone and when the opponent is so good on the ball and on switching sides! It's like you won't instruct your players to chase down the ball high up the pitch when the opponent is Barcelona. it is simply suicidal.

It's true that pressing is fashionable, but it does not mean suit every team, especially when your players are not well drilled and low in mobility (e.g., Huddlestone).   

Didn't you read the thread? The players just lack passion!!! :thumbsup:

Archived