Derby County v Wolverhampton Wanderers - match day thread

Kernow

I said after the Sunderland game that a team only works when the midfield works and our midfield unit doesn't work, it wasn't in reality working that well for most of last season. Rowett should have addressed this problem during the summer break but he didn't. He now as to do something urgently or this season will be a long and difficult one.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't feel sorry for Rowett.He has time to assess the squad and has one of the best supported teams in the division. It was his decison to sell our two better players.The owner needs to stick an electric cattle prod up his backside this week to make key signings  otherwise Rowett can leave.

Let's predict the script:

4 points from 5 games

Fans complaining

We sign someone for a lot of money

Fans a bit calmer

We do a bit better and get to 12th by Christmas

We sack GR

We replace him by Paul Simpson / Nigel Clough / A.N Other

Results don't pick up and crowd now hostile

We sack A N Other and put Wassall in charge till the end of the season

We finish 14th

1 minute ago, clough08 said:

We sack GR

We replace him by Paul Simpson / Nigel Clough / A.N Other

Results don't pick up and crowd now hostile

We sack A N Other and put Wassall in charge till the end of the season

We finish 14th

The thing is, this cycle of sackings is entirely down to the lack of continuity between appointments. We replace pass and move mcclaren with pedestrian possession clement, mix it up wassall,  lump it forward Pearson, pass and move mcclaren and then lump it forward Rowett. At no point since mcclaren was first sacked, have a manager had a squad capable of doing what they wanted, and none of them have been savvy enough to adapt.  Mel Morris's 'Derby way' was supposed to avoid all of this, but he's not made any effort to actually put the words that come out of his mouth into practice.  We either accept that we're going to be rubbish for years and let Rowett get his bunch of lump it merchants in place, or we sack him and get in a manager that is interested in getting something out of what we have already.

3 hours ago, Bazal77 said:

2 games in and truth be told there are no positives

i wonder how different rowetts points tally will be to mr pearsons after the same amount of games. 

Pearson played 9, won 1, drawn 3, lost 5

Rowett's was manager for 9 last year (with a comparable team), won 4, drawn 3, lost 2

Pearson drew the opening game of the season, lost the second 2-0, and then beat Preston in the 3rd game... 

This season Rowett is emulating that so far.

Can't be arsed to read all the posts but that was poor today. Wolves were excellent but we allowed that.

I won't berate Martin as he was exposed, poor when he did have a decent ball but no service.

I am sure everyone has covered the current individual performances but Rowett FFS. Paralysis in the first half when again and again their out ball was to the attacking full backs, especially the right back who was killing us. Do something man.. No confidence in him to change things.. That's nothing to do with recruiting or anything else, just match day management.. Piss poor young man.

This squad will be nowhere near the playoffs without 3-4 Quality signings what if we sign Lawrence he plays 4/5 games then gets injured for a few weeks we're back to square one.. we need 2 more pacey wide men that can beat a bloody man and a striker who plays off the shoulder and a creative cm otherwise this season we'll be lucky to break into top 10 nevermind the P word :( 

I'm just getting home now after a 360 mile round trip!!! and no

not a helicopter in sight lol

just want to say also that it was very quiet today at PP

and even before the game seemed a bit subdued...please sort out our attack and midfield GR or I suspect there may be a few more quiet days at our place... I prefer the away games by far tbh as more singing and love winning away.. wolves fans were singing how s**** we were at the end and hopefully we won't hear opposing fans giving it to us like they did today but I think that very much depends on what GR does next in the transfer market... off to the pub now hope everyone has a good rest of weekend 

Poor performance today all over the pitch. 

For what it's worth I don't think we'd have played 433 today is Vydra was fit. 

We'd have played a 4231.

The back 4 weren't very good today. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because of the absolute drivel that was infront of them. Both our fullbacks were isolated from first minute to last. 

Huddlestone wasn't very good either. But with what he's got in front of him it must be hard. There were times today je had the ball and stood with his arms out begging someone, anyone to run into space.

Johnson and Butterfield were woeful. Neither look interested. So poor. 

Martin was poor. But you could put whoever you want out there today. No wingers to provide crosses and no midfielder running off him. 2 games in and he's had one chance. A very good one. But ONE chance. 

But I'm leaving special mentions for our 2 wingers. And I'm using the term wingers very loosely. 

Weimann offers nothing. Absolutely nothing. He's terrible. Can't beat a man. Can't do anything. He looks like a bloke who knows he's only playing because we haven't signed anyone yet. Brain dead too. Offered no support defensively to the full backs either. 

Then brings me on to Russell. We are 2 games in and I'm sick of his s**** already. I can't watch him anymore. This lad has done NOTHING in a Derby shirt for 3 years. Enough is enough. I'm lost for words how truly s**** this lad is. No movement. Static. Doesn't show for the ball. No football brain. 

We aren't going up this year. It's going to take a while this is. I personally think we are 4-5 players off challenging for a top 6 spot. Which aren't going to happen in this window. We may get 2. Maybe 3 if we can shift a couple out. 

I also think that 433 isn't working. 

Interesting to see what he does with Thorne when he's back fit. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this once the window is shut:-

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth 

Huddlestone Thorne 

Lawrence Vydra Kent

Nugent 

2 minutes ago, Saity said:

and even before the game seemed a bit subdued...please sort out our attack and midfield GR or I suspect there may be a few more quiet days at our place... I prefer the away games by far tbh as more singing and love winning away.. wolves fans were singing how s**** we were at the end and hopefully we won't hear opposing fans giving it to us like they did today but I think that very much depends on what GR does next in the transfer market... off to the pub now hope everyone has a good rest of weekend 

Its always quiet mate. 

The south stand is woeful. 

People go there cos the seats are cheap 

Just got home from a long drive home. My $0.02:

Wolves played well but I think they too lacked a bit of quality up front. Unlike us though, they came with a game plan. That is, play it down one side then ping a cross-field ball to a winger to run into acres of space in front of Fozzy. They did that well and we didn't respond.

Did Fozzy have an awful game or was he just not supported by anyone?

Why are we playing 4-3-3? Did 4-2-3-1 not work well for us in pre-season? Is it crazy to suggest putting Nugent in behind Martin? 4-3-3 is so ineffectual and I almost feel sorry for Chrissy on his own up there.

I'm at my wit's end with Russell now. Probably should have buried that chance in the first half but didn't. As such, we desperately need some new attacking options (though this isn't news to you guys).

Finally, the moment towards the end where the crowd AND Rowett in the technical area were screaming at the lads to get out their own half was telling. At 2-0 down why are our players walking? Even Scotty was shaking his head in his hands out of frustration at one point and I knew exactly how he felt.

Today was a write-off, but I'm not certain it will be indicative of our season as a whole. Switch to 4-2-3-1, get some attacking options in before the window closes, and bench some of these players because they just can't cut it.

8 minutes ago, Saity said:

I am a SS season ticket holder and i felt like a lad on his first day at school today. Very few faces I knew. All spotty. All Tommy Robinson.

I am on my way out, I fear. 

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Rowett will needs at least three transfer windows before he can assemble a team that will be capable of challenging for promotion and thats providing he can also get rid of the dead wood

Totally disagree. Rowett needs to show he can motivate the current crop of players and to play them in an effective formation neither of which he currently demonstrating he is able to do. 

Archived