Derby County v Wolverhampton Wanderers - match day thread

Kernow

Just now, Saity said:

They were very good to be fair and as an example there left back looked technically streets ahead of our defenders ...to be honest we were lucky it wasn't 4 at least...big wake up call 

Agreed. They were a vastly better side than us, with a much better style of play.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Paul71 said:

Dont disagree with you.

But if it does happen I want to see a reaction.

Trouble is that smacks too much of deja vu. If they get playing after a poor show we'll just be waiting for the 'inevitable' collapse.

I'd hoped Rowett would change more, but it seems plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Pretty shocking to be honest. coming down for one of my few games of the season. Wolves were very good, can't deny that and I expect them to be right up the at the end of the season. Just seems to work with some clubs spending money and gambling on foreign players and managers. We just can't seem to do anything right :lol: 

seriously though we need to get at least 3 players in. It's evident we have very average at best wingers and forward thinking midfielders offering no goal threat and service to lonely Chris Martin... 

get lawrence in and another promising young singer on loan and then a good attatcking midfielder ie Adams or James. 

Otherwise it's another classic derby season for me, same old same old. 

I'm putting that down to Wolves being a really good side. We created 3 or 4 decent chances and one great one. They created 5 or 6 gilt edged chances and 2-0 flattered us. If we play a much better team this year I'll be surprised.

No panic yet, but a new face and three points on Tuesday please chaps.

We looked so so average.

Butterfield has really struggled in the last 2 games. Bryson seemed the only one up for it especially 2-0 down and he is carrying an injury. He should start next game.

The worrying thing for me though was the lack of good options on the bench. A raft of injuries doesn't help but we need 2 or 3 signinging to get us out of the mire.

The score centre statistics support your analysis @Leicester Ram with 0 crosses 

If you play 433 without midfield runners then it quickly becomes a 451 and we used to deride clough for playing like that away. So either switch personnel or system. Guess it sounds easier to do the latter.

I don't understand how last week we looked fitter and overran the opposition after about 70 min whilst a week later we look slow, laboured and unfit. Don't get it. 

Midtable this season - better next after more wide ranging changes next summer.

Really struggling to think of anything positive from today's game. Huddlestone, what a poor game. Possibly the worst player on the pitch for me today. OK, he saw lots more of the ball than the likes of Johnson but did nothing with it other than play some very poor passes. 

9 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

That was abysmal, fair enough Rowett's in a tough spot with Vydra out and no new attacking signing but I have absolutely no idea what he's trying to do right now.

He's got a 4-3-3 with the slowest midfield I've seen us field in ages, they don't support Martin in the slightest. There's absolutely no energy down the middle of the side at all. Why are you playing Martin when he's got no support and chasing down punts? Setting our best striker up for failure.

The wingers tucked in allowing the full-backs to overlap, but we've got two full-backs you wouldn't consider quick in Wisdom and Forsyth. It was really ineffective, don't think we met a cross from them all day.

Weimann and Russell didn't ever look like scoring doing that either, they made us really easy to defend against too by being so static. Wolves job was easy; mark the winger standing in the middle and block the cross coming in from the full-back who can't get around the defence.

We started the second half badly, they were opening us up every 3/4 minutes while we weren't getting anywhere. He still stuck with the unenergtic 4-3-3 despite the fact we were open at the back and doing s**** all up top.

Finally brought on Nugent to switch to a 4-2-3-1 but kept Johnson at LM. What's the obsession with Johnson as an attacking player? He's got some good attacking qualities but he's not what we needed. Would have been better sticking with Russell and Weimann on the wings.

Even more annoying when he kept Johnson on and took Weimann off when we were chasing the game. 

I think Rowett's just having to work with what he's got at the moment but I'm feeling let down at the moment.

We've signed more old players than we have young ones and we're no more athletic, maybe even less so.

Why are we waiting til the hour mark to switch to a clearly more effective 4-2-3-1?

If you're going to play Martin, get someone close to him.

If you're going to play Huddlestone or Butterfield, play a striker/midfield who'll make runs for them to pick out.

Desperately need Lawrence or someone with a bit of magic in them. We're far too easy to defend against right now.

Spot on. The tactics currently are setting us up to fail.

25 minutes ago, Black Country Ram said:

You really think so?

I've seen about 4/5 stories on here or twitter about players who "don't care" speeding out the parking lot 10 minutes before the end.

Yours is even less believeable because you've tried to stick two players into one car, much better off going with the classic Vydra on his own in a Ferrari.

Even if it was true, why would I care and why would you think anyone else cares? I love this club as much as anyone, I've been posting on here religiously since I was 14 and I've left on the 70th minute before. There are more important things in life than watching us lose 3-0 to Birmingham or 2-0 to Wolves. That's true for me and for Marcus Olsson.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That was abysmal

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Spot on. The tactics currently are setting us up to fail.

This is the saddest thing. I noted that at the Sunderland game GR was very slow to change things when obviously it wasn't working. This is not the GR that was a quick thinking strategist and able to make changes on the hoof. Please GR, don't look like a rabbit caught in the headlights, be dynamic and pick a quick and  match-fit dynamic side, otherwise like I alluded to before you will be gone by Christmas.

24 minutes ago, Saity said:

Yeah and the magic russell

was his usual crap self ....should've scored and gets pushed off the ball far too easily ....he's not the only one ....

heard fans talking about his non affective game yet again on the way out ...but he's not the only one as I've said ....loads of effort doesn't make a player!!!!

That's helpful, slag off the only player to make an opening and have an actual shot on target

Well, what can i say other than that was piss poor...

Carson 5 - No chance with either goal.  Hesitated at a couple of routine crosses, kicking was ok.

Wisdom 6 - Towering one minutes, rubbish the next.  Excellent last ditch challenge might've given us a platform to snatch a draw on another day

Keogh 7 - Unlucky with the goal, always tried to get things moving, and won pretty much all his challenges

Davis 6 - Steady enough, looked to be lacking pace

Forsyth 5 - Looks low on confidence.  Won his arial battles but didn't get forward enough.  Don't know why he was so narrow allowing their No 2 the freedom on the pitch, every single attack

Huddlestone 6 - Some good balls first half, but seemed to get bypassed in the 2nd, especially after we switched to two in the middle

Butterfield 5 - Tried to get things moving, but did it sooooo slowly.  Seems incapable of passing the ball more than 20 yards

Johnson 5 - See Butterfield.  Couldn't get close enough to their midfielders to impose himself physically

Weimann 4 - If he's the quickest player we've got, we're really in the s**t.  No penetration, and incapable of dribbling past his man

Russell 4 - See Weimann.  But his tattoos look great!!!

Martin 4 - Isolated that much, he might as well have been in another postcode.  Spent too much of the 2nd half on his arse

Bryson 5 - See Johnson & Butterfield

The Nuge 6 - Injected a little urgency and did his best to hook up with Martin, a couple of neat touches

Anya 4 - He ran around a lot, so those keep fit sessions on holiday look to have paid off

We're desperate for some creative players, it got so predictable, so quickly.  Once it got wide and their fullbacks showed either Weimann or Russell inside, they ran into a sea of orange.  We could've played until Trump nukes us all to oblivion and we wouldn't have scored.  4-3-3 no longer works, then again, I'm not sure 4-2-3-1 will with the players we have.  At this rate, we're not going to improve until we can cancel the contracts of over half a dozen players who're not good enough, that nobody wants to buy, Rowett has his hands tied...

56 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

A couple of years ago we beat Wolves 5-0 with Simon Dawkins linking the play. Fans said he offered nothing and couldn't wait to see him leave.

So we went out and spent £6.5 million on Bradley Johnson. Now we can't pass for toffee while Wolves cut through us like p!ss in the snow.

Karma I guess.

With a manager that had been sussed out and a team of bottlers.

There's some joy in this misery

Carson- 5 couldn't do much 

Wisdom 5 made a great tackle was his own fault though 

Keogh 5 wasn't great 

davies 5 

fozzy 4 poor

huddlestone 5 good first 20 mins 

johnson 4 half asleep 

butterfield 4 asleep 

Russell 3 awful end off

weimann 6 great first 30 mins had no help 

Martin 4 no service