Confess your unpopular Rams opinions

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:28, LittleEatonRam said:

1) The level of adulation Lampard has been receiving from our fans for the past season is excessive, and probably boils down to many people still being as starstruck as they were when he first took over. He's done well, yes, and it would be a shame to see him go, but come on - he's not some sort of genius that people make him out to be. If you swapped the man in the dugout for someone less glamourous  but replicated the season nobody would be hyping him up anywhere near as much.

2) The substitution of Marriott for Holmes at Elland Rd was forced due to injury and not a tactical masterstroke.

3) Mason Bennett (even if he is "one of our own") has barely improved in the last few years and should be plying his trade in League One. He's about to turn 23, has 7 career goals to his name - as a forward - and if you're not looking like a good Championship player at that age you never will be. I wish him all the best but it's time to move on. Hughes was arguably the best player in our squad at the age Bennett is now.

4) That goal Bennett scored that is supposedly up for a Puskas award was a total fluke and if a Forest player had scored it you wouldn't hear a Derby fan argue otherwise.

100% agree with all 4 points.

On 11/06/2019 at 21:28, LittleEatonRam said:

1) The level of adulation Lampard has been receiving from our fans for the past season is excessive, and probably boils down to many people still being as starstruck as they were when he first took over. He's done well, yes, and it would be a shame to see him go, but come on - he's not some sort of genius that people make him out to be. If you swapped the man in the dugout for someone less glamourous  but replicated the season nobody would be hyping him up anywhere near as much.

2) The substitution of Marriott for Holmes at Elland Rd was forced due to injury and not a tactical masterstroke.

3) Mason Bennett (even if he is "one of our own") has barely improved in the last few years and should be plying his trade in League One. He's about to turn 23, has 7 career goals to his name - as a forward - and if you're not looking like a good Championship player at that age you never will be. I wish him all the best but it's time to move on. Hughes was arguably the best player in our squad at the age Bennett is now.

4) That goal Bennett scored that is supposedly up for a Puskas award was a total fluke and if a Forest player had scored it you wouldn't hear a Derby fan argue otherwise.

Oh grumble grumble gripely done - Anything positive from the season? ?

1) I think most people are just delighted to have had some relief from the boredom suffered under Rowett - I like winning games but I prefer winning them when I've enjoyed the football on offer and with Rowett that wasn't the case - I think the main reason people don't want him to leave is consistency not any great overwhelming love for Lampard after only a single season

2) He had 6 other players to choose from - Taking a CM off and adding an extra striker is a tactical switch - Maybe not a masterstroke but a clear change in tactics (which worked)

3) Your opinion - The manager and his staff disagree - They think he's worth a place in a championship squad and picked him consistently when there were other options

4) What is a fluke in football really? All players do is swing their foot at it with some intention that they'd like an outcome - He obviously wanted to try and get it on target and did - It was a genuinely rare moment of wonder which 99 times out 100 wouldn't have gone in - I'd argue counter to your point that if Ronaldo had scored that most would be climbing up the walls to profess the genius of it

Sith Happens

If frank goes i would welcome clough or McClaren back,  would celebrate a Clough / McClaren combo.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Oh grumble grumble gripely done - Anything positive from the season? ?

1) I think most people are just delighted to have had some relief from the boredom suffered under Rowett - I like winning games but I prefer winning them when I've enjoyed the football on offer and with Rowett that wasn't the case - I think the main reason people don't want him to leave is consistency not any great overwhelming love for Lampard after only a single season

2) He had 6 other players to choose from - Taking a CM off and adding an extra striker is a tactical switch - Maybe not a masterstroke but a clear change in tactics (which worked)

3) Your opinion - The manager and his staff disagree - They think he's worth a place in a championship squad and picked him consistently when there were other options

4) What is a fluke in football really? All players do is swing their foot at it with some intention that they'd like an outcome - He obviously wanted to try and get it on target and did - It was a genuinely rare moment of wonder which 99 times out 100 wouldn't have gone in - I'd argue counter to your point that if Ronaldo had scored that most would be climbing up the walls to profess the genius of it

In answer to your first opening salvo, the thread is about confessing unpopular opinions. Most of these will be a grumble of some sort, as comments about everything being great are rarely unpopular.

1) Agree that the football has been much better under FL, whilst still keeping us competitive. No argument there. I just think that some of the stuff people have been saying is way OTT (best season since Jim Smith etc). Both George Burley and Steve McClaren inherited far worse situations than Lampard - Burley in particular - and got us into the play-offs totally unexpectedly. I don't recall them being beatified by our fanbase to the extent Lampard has been. But they didn't come from a big club and weren't watched every weekend of MoTD.

2) He chose to put a striker on when forced to make a change, when we were 2-0 down on aggregate. Whoopee poo. Am I supposed to congratulate him for not putting Carson on instead?

3) My opinion, granted. I'll own up to being wrong if Bennett is a steady Championship player for us or any other team by the time he's 30. But I wouldn't hold your breath. Conor Sammon played about 80 games for us but still wasn't any more effective than a cardboard cutout of himself.

4) Agree completely that people would mess themselves about how good it was if Ronaldo had scored it. But they'd still be wrong because it would still be a fluke.

I'll be very sorry to see him go, gave us a high profile, attracted seriously talented young players, got involved with the fans more than any of our other managers in all the time I can remember, gave us optimism again and also comes across as a proper decent guy.........but from a purely tactical point of view,  I think we could easily find someone better. We often got found out last season and I'm not sure he knew what his best team was! 

It's the quality of loan players is going to be the hardest thing to replace!

42 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He'd come back here .  It's just Forest he can't be arsed with .

I think he'd consider it now Rush isn't involved any more, but I doubt he'd jump at the drop of a hat, same as i think he'd take the forest job if they had a sane ownership structure but who could blame him turning down Fawaz.

Apart from that, can't see him rushing to leave Burton.

Archived