Confess your unpopular Rams opinions

DarkFruitsRam7

On 02/06/2019 at 14:37, Steve How Hard? said:

It's a very fair point but there are 3 mitigating factors. 

1. Gazza was footballing genius

2. He didn't play for Forest.

3. He didn't play for Fester.

Admittedly they aren't good enough reasons but both Gazza and Collymore suffered mental breakdowns later in life. No excuse for what they both did but it may in someway explain their actions. Maybe, and I don't declare this as fact but possibly they took their own insecurities out on the ones they love. Not right in anyway but it does happen.

Collymore is also a big headed t.w.at. I am told that when he was at Liverpool he was once in a bar giving grief to the female staff. Duncan Ferguson was also there and told him what he would do to him if he didn’t shut the Fu. He shut the Fu..

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It’s possible but it’s not true in this case.

That label is more suited to Tomori, although a look at the stats will tell you that others (namely Sheffield United’s defenders) are better ball-playing centre-backs.

You have to take into account that they play a revolutionary system in which their wide centre-halves overlap and operate completely differently to how Keogh does in a two. Keogh played well in that role under Rowett at the end of 17/18.

Tomori isn’t as good on the ball and is worse in the air but has the pace over Keogh to recover almost any situation in our third. 

15 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Collymore is also a big headed t.w.at. I am told that when he was at Liverpool he was once in a bar giving grief to the female staff. Duncan Ferguson was also there and told him what he would do to him if he didn’t shut the Fu. He shut the Fu..

He started on Tony Warner over a seat in pre-season. 

The end result was Neil Ruddock and somebody who I forget pinning Stan down so Warner could go to town on him. 

During training Liverpool’s ‘keepers wouldn’t save his shots intentionally just to wind him up. 

Magic Sponge podcast straight from Tony Warner’s mouth if admins are worried about libel. 

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

You have to take into account that they play a revolutionary system in which their wide centre-halves overlap and operate completely differently to how Keogh does in a two. Keogh played well in that role under Rowett at the end of 17/18.

Tomori isn’t as good on the ball and is worse in the air but has the pace over Keogh to recover almost any situation in our third. 

Yes, their system allowed them to do it but it doesn’t take away from the fact that, statistically, they had the best ball-playing centre-halves in the league.

I’d argue that Keogh has never really played that role. He’s passed it around, yes, and he’s gone on marauding runs but I don’t feel that he’s ever fit the label of a ball player. IMO, Tomori is far better on the ball and the stats reflect that.

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

He started on Tony Warner over a seat in pre-season. 

The end result was Neil Ruddock and somebody who I forget pinning Stan down so Warner could go to town on him. 

During training Liverpool’s ‘keepers wouldn’t save his shots intentionally just to wind him up. 

Magic Sponge podcast straight from Tony Warner’s mouth if admins are worried about libel. 

Great podcast that needs to return!

15 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yes, their system allowed them to do it but it doesn’t take away from the fact that, statistically, they had the best ball-playing centre-halves in the league.

I’d argue that Keogh has never really played that role. He’s passed it around, yes, and he’s gone on marauding runs but I don’t feel that he’s ever fit the label of a ball player. IMO, Tomori is far better on the ball and the stats reflect that.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13778/Show/Richard-Keogh

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/317507/Show/Fikayo-Tomori

What stats reflect that? Even objectively the only area that Tomori outdoes Keogh is on dribbling and the subjective counter argument to that is that dribbling the ball requires directly skinning a man…

On 08/06/2019 at 22:54, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Gary Rowett did an acceptable job and made a valid career choice. People who wailed at his decision to leave only did so because they knew, deep down, that he was decent. The only reason people claim he took us backwards is because we changed direction with the appointment of Lampard.

I still bought an inflatable snake though.

Depends what you consider an acceptable job. Boring the fans to sleep, and signing a bunch of pensioners isn't acceptable for me, there was no thought for the future, no entertainment value. He sold Hughes on the cheap and brought in expensive dross i.e. Cameron Jerome. 

I can't say he took us backwards, because we weren't in a great position when he took over, but he certainly didn't take us forward. I did wail at his decision to leave though, I reveled in it. Crap manager, crap football.

I'm more than happy for my 3000th post being one I slag off Rowett, to keep in theme with 50% of my other posts ?.

7 hours ago, cannable said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13778/Show/Richard-Keogh

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/317507/Show/Fikayo-Tomori

What stats reflect that? Even objectively the only area that Tomori outdoes Keogh is on dribbling and the subjective counter argument to that is that dribbling the ball requires directly skinning a man…

The stats I was looking at were ones presented by someone called ‘Blades Analytic’ on Twitter. It involved the number of forward passes played rather than simply the number of passes. It seemed to show a true picture of the ball-playing defenders in the league and I think O’Connell of Sheffield United came out on top quite easily. I’m not that arsed about finding it though so you’ll either have to rely on my half-memory or find it yourself!

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Depends what you consider an acceptable job. Boring the fans to sleep, and signing a bunch of pensioners isn't acceptable for me, there was no thought for the future, no entertainment value. He sold Hughes on the cheap and brought in expensive dross i.e. Cameron Jerome. 

I can't say he took us backwards, because we weren't in a great position when he took over, but he certainly didn't take us forward. I did wail at his decision to leave though, I reveled in it. Crap manager, crap football.

I'm more than happy for my 3000th post being one I slag off Rowett, to keep in theme with 50% of my other posts ?.

I wasn’t bored when we were storming up the league in autumn-winter. There were some cracking days in that period, none more so than Barnsley away around Christmas time. And Jerome played a key part in turning our form around to get us into the play offs. The Hughes thing I agree with.

6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I wasn’t bored when we were storming up the league in autumn-winter. There were some cracking days in that period, none more so than Barnsley away around Christmas time. And Jerome played a key part in turning our form around to get us into the play offs. The Hughes thing I agree with.

Jerome did play a part yes, but he was a shocking footballer, and cemented us as a hoof ball side. I was bored even when we were winning, we never really controlled games, our goals were invariably quite ugly, and the all round play was just a bit crap. I preferred Wassall to Rowett. I'd rather be in the Championship playing with Lampard's style than in the Prem (not even guaranteed) with Rowett's, that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Jerome did play a part yes, but he was a shocking footballer, and cemented us as a hoof ball side. I was bored even when we were winning, we never really controlled games, our goals were invariably quite ugly, and the all round play was just a bit crap. I preferred Wassall to Rowett. I'd rather be in the Championship playing with Lampard's style than in the Prem (not even guaranteed) with Rowett's and VAR, that's for sure.

?

1) The level of adulation Lampard has been receiving from our fans for the past season is excessive, and probably boils down to many people still being as starstruck as they were when he first took over. He's done well, yes, and it would be a shame to see him go, but come on - he's not some sort of genius that people make him out to be. If you swapped the man in the dugout for someone less glamourous  but replicated the season nobody would be hyping him up anywhere near as much.

2) The substitution of Marriott for Holmes at Elland Rd was forced due to injury and not a tactical masterstroke.

3) Mason Bennett (even if he is "one of our own") has barely improved in the last few years and should be plying his trade in League One. He's about to turn 23, has 7 career goals to his name - as a forward - and if you're not looking like a good Championship player at that age you never will be. I wish him all the best but it's time to move on. Hughes was arguably the best player in our squad at the age Bennett is now.

4) That goal Bennett scored that is supposedly up for a Puskas award was a total fluke and if a Forest player had scored it you wouldn't hear a Derby fan argue otherwise.

Lampard has done a very good job here but if he leaves we would be more likely to improve next season than if he stays.

Wassall did a great job in 15/16. We could have hired a whole load of managers who wouldn’t have got us into the play offs. People don’t like him because Jason Shackell shat himself away at Rotherham.

6 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

1) The level of adulation Lampard has been receiving from our fans for the past season is excessive, and probably boils down to many people still being as starstruck as they were when he first took over. He's done well, yes, and it would be a shame to see him go, but come on - he's not some sort of genius that people make him out to be. If you swapped the man in the dugout for someone less glamourous  but replicated the season nobody would be hyping him up anywhere near as much.

2) The substitution of Marriott for Holmes at Elland Rd was forced due to injury and not a tactical masterstroke.

3) Mason Bennett (even if he is "one of our own") has barely improved in the last few years and should be plying his trade in League One. He's about to turn 23, has 7 career goals to his name - as a forward - and if you're not looking like a good Championship player at that age you never will be. I wish him all the best but it's time to move on. Hughes was arguably the best player in our squad at the age Bennett is now.

4) That goal Bennett scored that is supposedly up for a Puskas award was a total fluke and if a Forest player had scored it you wouldn't hear a Derby fan argue otherwise.

4 out of 4 there, pal.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd be happy for Lampard to leave now. He's turned us away from Rowettball, had a respectable season and will go eventually. So I'd prefer the 'eventually' to be now.

So you are confident that if he does leave, the next manager would not revert to Rowett ball??????

9 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

4 out of 4 there, pal.

15 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Agree with every word of this, particularly about Bennett. Fluke or not however, that goal should’ve been in the championship goal of the season as there was nothing close to it, lucky or not. 

One thing I will give Lampard, which is outside of his ability as a coach, is that he has brought back a massive sense of belonging to the club for most of the fans. It feels (ironically now perhaps) that we are all in it together and that created a great team spirit on and off the pitch. If he goes I will miss that more than the style of football I think.  

Archived