Confess your unpopular Rams opinions

DarkFruitsRam7

11 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Lots of other teams do do it 

how many others spend 7m on player at our level, it happens amongst the parchute brigade and the equally frivolous but way more don’t at our level and manage to find talent

we’ve recruited more shrewdly this season just gone than we have for many a year and the years of us spunking it up the wall on over valued and grossly over paid have gone.

I hope it continues 

maybe im just looking at it through early days Jim smith tinted glasses lol

But are these other teams classed as successful? 

What I mean is that for all these grand remarks that our fan base tends to make about teams like Brentford, we simply wouldn’t be happy with midtable finishes that their methods have brought. 

I do think we need to improve our recruitment but it isn’t as easy as trying to copy a certain team and there just aren’t that many unknown starlets kicking around anymore. 

Very much doubt any manager could come in and pluck Reich, Idiakez and Rasiak out of nowhere again. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Rowett did an acceptable job and made a valid career choice. People who wailed at his decision to leave only did so because they knew, deep down, that he was decent. The only reason people claim he took us backwards is because we changed direction with the appointment of Lampard.

I still bought an inflatable snake though.

20 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Gary Rowett did an acceptable job and made a valid career choice. People who wailed at his decision to leave only did so because they knew, deep down, that he was decent. The only reason people claim he took us backwards is because we changed direction with the appointment of Lampard.

First point yes second point no. Rowett did as good a job as Lampard bar actually in the playoffs- just with a worse style. Both did decent jobs. To ditch one club in a divisions pushing for promotion less than 6 months after signing a new contract at another was snakish beyond belief and showed trying to take the easy path rather than see a job through. He deserved everything he got at stoke.

22 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'll add that had rowett stayed, we'd have done quite well, probably finished sixth because we'd be better at being a rowettball team.

I’m not entirely sure any of these count anymore but;

Hughes is better the deeper he plays in midfield, not further forward.

Despite being ridiculously talented, Mount didn’t have the impact on games he should have until the run-in, and even then I think he could produce more. 

Wilson has the general play of an average Championship player and just happens to have one of the best left-foot strikes in football. 

George Evans is good. Wins the ball back loads, reads play well and keeps it simple. Just because he doesn’t run the show doesn’t mean he’s crap. Eustace didn’t, he just had Hughes alongside.

18 minutes ago, cannable said:

I’m not entirely sure any of these count anymore but;

Hughes is better the deeper he plays in midfield, not further forward. Agree, deep play maker.

Despite being ridiculously talented, Mount didn’t have the impact on games he should have until the run-in, and even then I think he could produce more. debatable, form dipped before his injury though.

Wilson has the general play of an average Championship player and just happens to have one of the best left-foot strikes in football. wing - agree, attcking midfield i think he showed some brilliance.

George Evans is good. Wins the ball back loads, reads play well and keeps it simple. Just because he doesn’t run the show doesn’t mean he’s crap. Eustace didn’t, he just had Hughes alongside. - I think Evans might yet come good, he's been coming back from a nasty knee injury he picked up on his game for us.

15 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

But are these other teams classed as successful? 

What I mean is that for all these grand remarks that our fan base tends to make about teams like Brentford, we simply wouldn’t be happy with midtable finishes that their methods have brought. 

I do think we need to improve our recruitment but it isn’t as easy as trying to copy a certain team and there just aren’t that many unknown starlets kicking around anymore. 

Very much doubt any manager could come in and pluck Reich, Idiakez and Rasiak out of nowhere again. 

Sheffield United 

huddersfield 

Bournmouth 

Brighton 

Cardiff 

yes they are “successful” if that’s measured by the obvious yardstick ie promotion 

brighton being the best example imo 

players like Bruno, Glenn Murray, solly March, knockheart all costing less than Lawrence combined, supplemented with players like dunk and dale Stephens that as far as I’m aware were either home grown or cost literally bugger all

I’m not saying that we should be getting these bargains as in it’s easy but I am saying it’s possible and we haven’t looked hard enough in recent years ... til this one perhaps  

18 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Sheffield United 

huddersfield 

Bournmouth 

Brighton 

Cardiff 

yes they are “successful” if that’s measured by the obvious yardstick ie promotion 

brighton being the best example imo 

players like Bruno, Glenn Murray, solly March, knockheart all costing less than Lawrence combined, supplemented with players like dunk and dale Stephens that as far as I’m aware were either home grown or cost literally bugger all

I’m not saying that we should be getting these bargains as in it’s easy but I am saying it’s possible and we haven’t looked hard enough in recent years ... til this one perhaps  

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I wouldn’t have gotten Summer 2015 and Jan 2016 as horrendously wrong as we did. 

Recruitment was an utter shambles. 

Edit: I actually think Bournemouth’s recruitment has been poor as well. The League One side pretty much kept them up in the Prem. Since promotion to the Championship, Eddie Howe’s transfer policy has been to throw enough poo and see what sticks. He’s wasted millions.

Given this evenings' speculation re Harry Wilson. He's not worth £10m let alone the £21m figure that's been touted and if for one minute Mel and FL are contemplating anything other than another loan transfer then they've lost the plot.

11 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Given this evenings' speculation re Harry Wilson. He's not worth £10m let alone the £21m figure that's been touted and if for one minute Mel and FL are contemplating anything other than another loan transfer then they've lost the plot.

Certainly not in a position to do anything other than offer an extension to his loan,this would be beneficial to both parties,offering us some consistency whilst further developing a player with potential who would struggle at a higher level imho .Financial resources should be concentrated elsewhere and digging up a few gems perhaps from the foreign leagues should be considered before splashing out on overpriced British players.

13 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

He clearly is worth at least £10 million.

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

For me, I put him in a box with Vydra. Similar market value and contribution to the team.

What @Ghost of Clough said. Far younger, can operate in more than one position, more quality on the ball and British (a factor that increases transfer fees). Don't discount the fact that he's scored some highly-publicised goals either, which certainly add to his value. Also, unlike Vydra, he's not already tried and failed at Premier League level.

I don't really want us to pay £21 million for him, but he's clearly closer to that than £10 million.

Wilson has just had one of those seasons where a lot of stuff he hit from outside the box has gone in, and that has inflated his overall impact. Butterfield had a first season like that, and I remember McGugan doing something similar when Davies was in charge at Forest.

Once that kind of thing dries up (and it does) you're left with what's left, if you see what I mean.

21 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Wilson has just had one of those seasons where a lot of stuff he hit from outside the box has gone in, and that has inflated his overall impact. Butterfield had a first season like that, and I remember McGugan doing something similar when Davies was in charge at Forest.

Once that kind of thing dries up (and it does) you're left with what's left, if you see what I mean.

He did it at Hull last season too.

There is no way Wilson is worth £21 million, and even less chance that we'd pay it.

However, even the thought of paying that much on one player gives me a tingle, so go for it Mel, let's go down swinging!

On 04/06/2019 at 11:04, Mostyn6 said:

we concede far too many goals where the opponents' final touch is within the width of the goals, and between the penalty spot and the six yard box. This means we have a weak aerial keeper AND both centre backs are ineffective. If Tomori was 10 years more experienced, he'd be slated by fans. This is why Keogh is NOT a brilliant defender at this level, and Tomori is still only "potential". Defense is out weak link, and whilst many will point fingers at unhelpful midfield "cough... Huddlestone... cough", the midfield are not responsible for what happens in that area between penalty spot and six-yard box, and definitely not aerially!

Are there any stats to back this up and put it in context against other teams?

I'd imagine what you've just described is where teams concede most of their goals from.

46 minutes ago, cannable said:

It is possible for Richard Keogh to be both an average defender and the best ball-playing centre-half in the division.

It’s possible but it’s not true in this case.

That label is more suited to Tomori, although a look at the stats will tell you that others (namely Sheffield United’s defenders) are better ball-playing centre-backs.

Archived