Confess your unpopular Rams opinions

DarkFruitsRam7

We should move on the likes of Bryson, Thorne, Nugent, Martin and some of the other older players (Anya etc) who are on big contracts, maybe extend Johnson’s contract but that’s it.  I know people have an affection towards them but their best days are behind them and we need to look to the future, not the past. All I’ve read this season is that it’s a transition, it wouldn’t be much of a transition if we keep extending contracts. Everyone keeps raving about our youngsters, how about we use them then?  With the loan players gone we are effectively in the same position as were under Rowett, apart from the addition of Bogle.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, jono said:

I really wish we had an anthem that could shiver timbers for players and fans alike 

blowing bubbles, we are the Manchester boys,  and never walk alone and others for sure  ... so so special 

Totally agree. I didn't quite get the "We are Derby" at first but I may be in the minority that thinks the Steve Bloomer song is unique in this country. 

1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Totally agree. I didn't quite get the "We are Derby" at first but I may be in the minority that thinks the Steve Bloomer song is unique in this country. 

Funnily enough although the lyrics are a bit iffy, I agree, the “sound” of SBW has something 

37 minutes ago, McLovin said:

We should move on the likes of Bryson, Thorne, Nugent, Martin and some of the other older players (Anya etc) who are on big contracts, maybe extend Johnson’s contract but that’s it.

That doesn't belong in 'unpopular views'.

But why not suggest if Johnson, and to an extent Bryson - who were/are our players can be rehabilitated then why can't Martin, Thorne et al? This discarding of players because they are 'known' at a club would have seen useful experienced players to be given the heave-ho. There's some been let go that still haven't been replaced by better!

33 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Even though though they can be integral to a promotion winning side? 

I can sort of see the logic behind the thinking though.  With such an array of future stars in the u23 and in particular the u18 teams, you could make the argument that loaning in other youngsters blocks development of our own.  Just imagine this time next year if we can look back and celebrate Bogle as the vanguard of half a dozen youngsters who had established themselves and made an impact on the league.

6 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I can sort of see the logic behind the thinking though.  With such an array of future stars in the u23 and in particular the u18 teams, you could make the argument that loaning in other youngsters blocks development of our own.  Just imagine this time next year if we can look back and celebrate Bogle as the vanguard of half a dozen youngsters who had established themselves and made an impact on the league.

Good point. That's what makes a good manager though. Making that call  is the difference between success and failure surely.  

8 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Good point. That's what makes a good manager though. Making that call  is the difference between success and failure surely.  

Agreed and that's one of the reasons I want Frank to stay.  He has shown an admirable faith in youth and I'd back him to get it right.  Having just watched a recording of the full Play Off Final from start to finish this morning* one stat stood out.  Number of mins played by players aged 22 and under Rowett in 2017/18 was 485, this season 10,500+

*Still not managed similar with the 2014 final 

17 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Agreed and that's one of the reasons I want Frank to stay.  He has shown an admirable faith in youth and I'd back him to get it right.  Having just watched a recording of the full Play Off Final from start to finish this morning* one stat stood out.  Number of mins played by players aged 22 and under Rowett in 2017/18 was 485, this season 10,500+

*Still not managed similar with the 2014 final 

If there was one fly on the wall I’d like to be it’s the one with Frank and Jodie talking about who is who in the youth set up and hearing what they think. Have we got a good group of likely championship stars of the future ( I think we know we have ) or have we got some real game changing premier league stars of the future ? 

On 01/06/2019 at 13:20, angieram said:

Just amazed that people feel like this after the season we've had.  There's been a feelgood factor from the under 18s up all season. Lots of heartwarming stories of fan engagement. A bright young manager who is giving youth a go.

I too had struggled to let go of the 13/14 squad and football but this year I have done it easily.

I do hope we build on this next year and get even further than this. But even if we don't, I  will still be grateful for this season. 

It's not just about winning though, in fact I felt the same over the entire Clough era. We had few changes per year and although we were poo for the majority of that time. However the few changes made each year made a difference and we were improving.

Ever since the playoff final against QPR, we seemingly swap and change managers, players and tactics every 5 minutes. You don't see the team improving over time and it's a chuck poo at the wall and hope it sticks approach.

Every single team we’ve had since the 13/14 side has been individually better, the reason they haven’t been as successful is they’re not as suited to playing together. That 13/14 side was mainly decent championship players supplemented by a couple of stars, held together by a certain albino genius who is the greatest player to play for us this millennium and the sale of whom is one of the worst deals this club has ever conducted. The clamour for individuals from that side to return is thus stupid as we saw in the case of wisdom, without all of them, and most importantly without Hughes, they wouldn’t be better than what we’ve had since.

7 hours ago, McLovin said:

With the loan players gone we are effectively in the same position as were under Rowett, apart from the addition of Bogle.

?

maybe i'm missing your point, but imo we are far removed from where we were under GR in terms of the quality of signings, age profile of the team, the type of player we are buying, the type of football we are playing, and the demeanour and intelligence of those " in the building" with a responsibility for managing the squad.

there was a lot of goodwill and support for growett but ultimately he brought little besides a john beck coaching philosophy and an arrogant cocksure manner.  

Not every signing has been an immediate success, but Roos, bogle, malone, evans, holmes, waghorn, marriott, jozefzoon and bennett surely offer a better foundation for future progress than wisdom, davies, huddlestone, ledley, lawrence, and jerome.

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Every single team we’ve had since the 13/14 side has been individually better, the reason they haven’t been as successful is they’re not as suited to playing together. That 13/14 side was mainly decent championship players supplemented by a couple of stars, held together by a certain albino genius who is the greatest player to play for us this millennium and the sale of whom is one of the worst deals this club has ever conducted. The clamour for individuals from that side to return is thus stupid as we saw in the case of wisdom, without all of them, and most importantly without Hughes, they wouldn’t be better than what we’ve had since.

I’d disagree on that they weren’t suited to play together, I think changing managers willy nilly has cost us big time.....

7 hours ago, GeneralRam said:

It's not just about winning though, in fact I felt the same over the entire Clough era. We had few changes per year and although we were poo for the majority of that time. However the few changes made each year made a difference and we were improving.

Ever since the playoff final against QPR, we seemingly swap and change managers, players and tactics every 5 minutes. You don't see the team improving over time and it's a chuck poo at the wall and hope it sticks approach.

I would agree until this season, where there has been a big change in philosophy and a clear intention to play exciting, attacking football.

We haven't always got it right, but we have consistently tried to play the right way imo.

We've seen great football at times and gone toe to toe with some of the best teams in the country. I think some of that great football has been away from home, where ironically the results have been somewhat patchy. At Pride Park the results have been better overall but there has been a tension in the football (expectation?) that hasn't been there on the road.

That's why I am surprised when people say that they can't let go of 13-14. If we conrinse to build in the same vein next year , I am expecting even better. Most importantly, I can't wait for the season to start again.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Not every signing has been an immediate success, but Roos, bogle, malone, evans, holmes, waghorn, marriott, jozefzoon and bennett surely offer a better foundation for future progress than wisdom, davies, huddlestone, ledley, lawrence, and jerome.

Can't agree with that at all. The first group may play football for longer into the future but there is no reason to suggest they'd be more likely to take us up to the Prem than the second group. That will depend on the manager. There's also some 'unproven' talent even at Championship level in the first group - not convinced that too many of them will be a great success, but again that will be down to who-ever is our manager.

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I’d disagree on that they weren’t suited to play together, I think changing managers willy nilly has cost us big time.....

Wouldn't say it was the changes, but the choices of manager, that has cost us.

We've been paying for that Clement appointment for years. 

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I think that those changes were enforced by appointing the wrong men to begin with... Pearson and clement destroyed us

12 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Although I enjoyed having mount, Wilson and Tarmori here this season I don’t want us to get any loan players at all next season. 

It's been a year and you still can't spell Oluwafikayomi Oluwadamilola Tomori.

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wouldn't say it was the changes, but the choices of manager, that has cost us.

We've been paying for that Clement appointment for years. 

Would say we’ve been paying for sacking Mac first time around for years 

Archived