Neymar

Sith Happens

16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's funny you mentioned Las Palmas, as last season they drew 3-3 at the Bernabeu and 2-2 at home. How many midtable French teams do you think are capable of that?

And after the best three they're all equal? Sevilla, three-time Europa League winner in succession are the same equally crap level as Lyon? Villarreal, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Celta Vigo, Espanyol, Valencia etc. Are miles better than the French sides outside the top three. It's madness to suggest otherwise.

Part of me understands why Neymar would move. But I don't think you can win a Balon d'Or by scoring a bucketload in that league and winning a domestic treble. Ibrahimovic didn't even make the top 3, and he netted 38 league goals the other year.

Neymar would have to win the CL just to be in discussion. The problem is, PSG are competing in an era containing stunning Barcelona and Real Madrid sides with arguably the two best players ever. It's an uphill task.

An uphill task. Not an impossible one. If it were, do you really think PSG would take the risk? It's not as if Barcelona and Real Madrid reach the final every year uncontested. Real Madrid have had an excellent four years in an otherwise wide open competition.

Barcelona and Real Madrid are not the only clubs that PSG will be looking to compete with. You have the likes of Bayern, Juventus, Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool that they will looking to emulate. 

Much depends on how they balance the books, but with the squad they have right now, Neymar could be seen as the last piece of the jigsaw to elevate them to that level. It is obviously a very calculated move.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
47 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

La Liga have refused to accept payment of the buyout fee in Neymar's contract. Surely they are on very thin ice legally there?

39 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

They're questioning the legality, in FFP terms at least, of the source of the money. Which is no great surprise, considering that amount could buy you an entire football club!

I suppose it depends how much PSG earn compared with the fee. You can only spend so much more than you earn so they may have a point.

It will get sorted anyway these things always do.

Seems to me like a very arrogant young man,there was some footage on the news last night of him being chauffer driven in a flash Audi to PSG training ground and just pushing past people in front of a glass door,money goes to young footballers heads,he aint worth 198 million.

3 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

They're questioning the legality, in FFP terms at least, of the source of the money. Which is no great surprise, considering that amount could buy you an entire football club!

There's talk they'll get round FFP, by paying Neymar the funds directly so he can by himself out of his contract himself, this is his fee to be an ambassador of Qatar...  #footballstinks 

Sith Happens
21 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If reports of his transfer to Barcelona were true his dad will be neck deep in hookers for the rest of his life off the back of this one.

Isn't neymar facing charges too? Be funny PSG paying all that money then him getting banged up.

Would love a proper honest statement from him, "when PSG came calling and told me how much they were willing to pay me a week I fell off my chair, any one of you lot would take the money so pipe down, this isn't for footballing reasons, just wanted the money"

Which is basically true.

All this didn't want to be in Messi's shadow is a loada b*******, not like he's going to win the balloon d'tosser award as he's in a different team, Messi is still playing, as is Ronaldo, just wait your turn.

Any step out of Barca is a step backwards...well you have 2 sideways in Real and Bayern. This is all money and I don't blame him one bit. 500k a week? f*** going down as a Barca legend, go down as a billionaire rich bloke with 21 carat underwear and buy all the women and watches you want.

Yeah the deal looks even dodgier than I first anticipated. It looks like to get around FFP, PSG may have just provided Neymar the funds to buy himself out of his contract. 

Is money really the main motivator for the player though? Wasn't he earning a shed load at Barcelona anyway? What could he possibly need more money for? Living in Barcelona must have been awesome anyway, let alone playing alongside Messi and Suarez.

I don't get how standing out at PSG gives him a better chance of winning the Balon D'Or? And besides, who cares who wins the Balon D'Or. Surely at the end of your career it should be the team medals which count.

Nobody can convince me that Neymar is more likely to win the CL at PSG than Barcelona.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah the deal looks even dodgier than I first anticipated. It looks like to get around FFP, PSG may have just provided Neymar the funds to buy himself out of his contract. 

Is money really the main motivator for the player though? Wasn't he earning a shed load at Barcelona anyway? What could he possibly need more money for? Living in Barcelona must have been awesome anyway, let alone playing alongside Messi and Suarez.

I don't get how standing out at PSG gives him a better chance of winning the Balon D'Or? And besides, who cares who wins the Balon D'Or. Surely at the end of your career it should be the team medals which count.

Nobody can convince me that Neymar is more likely to win the CL at PSG than Barcelona.

Isnt that how it works anyway in spain?

I think this whole thread is off topic.

The biggest reason for Neymar's move is Qatar's need for a franchise player. It used to be Ibra, now it's Neymar. Players greediness is simply used as a political PR trick. You shouldn't forget who owns PSG? Just little scratch tells you it is basically Qatar's government. And just check what's their situation at the moment is; their only friendly country is the United States, and you can hardly trust them with current clowns in charge. Even their only neighbour, Saudi-Arabia, has turned their back to Qatar. As has rest of the Ismalic world. Fame-wise PSG is becoming more and more synonym to Qatar and the reason is as obvious as it was when they spend billions to sponsor Barcelona. A different company at the time, but the same owner, Qatar's government.

This is just a tiny rant and a reminder, that moves like these (Chinese league, Russian/other Asian oligarchs buying clubs etc...) has much more in them than players own ambition, no matter is it based on money, Ballon d'or or other glory.

I think I could stick this same post to make football great again and hated teams threads, but this one will do for now.

On Wednesday, August 02, 2017 at 17:19, McLovin said:

Maybe...... or maybe not. Doesn't matter anyway, don't like it, don't read it.

You response is silly. 

On 8/2/2017 at 13:36, i-Ram said:

Mel will be wincing. Another benchmark established which will only serve to inflate prices of everyone below. Someday, and l hope in many ways l am around to see it, football and its finances will implode, and there will be a good few individuals sitting uneasily in their chairs wondering what happened to the music.

I really hope you're right but I fear the money boys will be sat on super yachts laughing their arses off with the game left in ruins and the fans wondering WTF happened. That said, I agree entirely with your notion. When the cost of a single footballer's fee and contract is higher than the GDP of entire countries, you have to acknowledge that the game has been corrupted beyond recall. It genuinely bothers me. I used to think I was being slightly green-eyed about it but in actual fact I think there's every reason to look at the top echelons of football and it's ruling bodies with disdain and disgust. Blatter, it seems, was merely the tip of a really shitty iceberg. The final irony is that, in some ways, the product these guys are pushing really ain't all that either.

5 hours ago, David said:

Would love a proper honest statement from him, "when PSG came calling and told me how much they were willing to pay me a week I fell off my chair, any one of you lot would take the money so pipe down, this isn't for footballing reasons, just wanted the money"

Which is basically true.

All this didn't want to be in Messi's shadow is a loada b*******, not like he's going to win the balloon d'tosser award as he's in a different team, Messi is still playing, as is Ronaldo, just wait your turn.

Any step out of Barca is a step backwards...well you have 2 sideways in Real and Bayern. This is all money and I don't blame him one bit. 500k a week? f*** going down as a Barca legend, go down as a billionaire rich bloke with 21 carat underwear and buy all the women and watches you want.

Not sure that's correct, he does seem interested in the ballon D'or award. Players who play for the team that wins the Champions League seem to be hugely favoured when the award comes around. If he stayed at Barcelona and they won the CL, Messi would likely win the ballon D'or, whereas at PSG he is more likely to be their standout performer if they win the CL. So moving clubs probably does increase his chance of being crowned best player in the world.

Still, that might be a minor consideration compared to the increase in wages, only he knows really.

Archived