Olsson to DC United

Carl Sagan

What's the point in us having utility men like Anya and Baird, who can play 4 positions each to a decent standard, if we don't use them as cover. No need for Olsson in such a big squad, joins players like Bent, Blackman, Pearce, Rawson who we simply don't need, regardless of whether you rate them or not. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the timing of Olsson's arrival has done him any favours in the long run, he's been associated with a failing team which is probably more detrimental to him than it should be.

That said, I'm not a fan and would look to move on. I'm not overly impressed with his defending and he gives us very little going forward. Watching him and JR hide behind players last season and the half season before that was very, very frustrating. There's something iffy when you're a match winner against Forest but aren't a cult hero at the club..... 

All down to Rowett though, is he a fan. Ideally it would be nice to shift him on, bring in a loan/promote a youth player to cover and everything goes swimmingly with Fozzy as number one all year. I like Lowe but don't quite get the bandwagon that he's anywhere near good enough to be first choice yet, he was very average when he got game time last year. He's also made of popadom so we can't rely on the lad unfortunately. 

I'm shocked people want to keep him. Some folk have low standards.

Not to mention the abundance of left backs we could play - Johnson could do a job there as well.

We desperately need to trim the squad and this is exactly the type of player we need to be moving on.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I'm shocked people want to keep him. Some folk have low standards.

Not to mention the abundance of left backs we could play - Johnson could do a job there as well.

We desperately need to trim the squad and this is exactly the type of player we need to be moving on.

I was gonna say I'd rather play Johnson at LB before Olson. Gets done far too easy and can't ever remember him cutting a cross out. Puts pressure on our central defence far too much and makes them look worse.

i really hope this is true. Olson, Butterfield and Hanson shouldn't be anywhere near this team if we want promotion

27 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I'd be happy with Lowe for the entire season who appears to be getting back fit soon. And I'd be equally happy with Anya and Baird as I would be with Olsson. Anya especially is a decent full back (plays there for Scotland and is currently their first choice by all accounts, and got promoted at Watford playing at wing back), Baird is reliable. MacDonald could be worth a chance - we don't know. If Forsyth did sustain a major injury, and Lowe the same, then I presume we'd buy someone in Jan. But that's the same for any position. What if Wisdom and Baird get injured at RB? Or Keogh and Davies? Two players per position in plenty of cover, and currently we have 7 people who can play leftback.

In all honesty, I think if he'd have been fit for the last 2 years Lowe would be a first choice, in fact I don't think we'd still own him. Remember wolves away last year, he looked brilliant. 

Lowe might be getting back fit soon, but as soon as he does his legs will shatter into a million pieces again.

I don't disagree RE: Olsson though - he is not necessary - we have plenty of cover for that position if needed and I would get rid if someone is interested.

27 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

What's the point in us having utility men like Anya and Baird, who can play 4 positions each to a decent standard, if we don't use them as cover. No need for Olsson in such a big squad, joins players like Bent, Blackman, Pearce, Rawson who we simply don't need, regardless of whether you rate them or not. 

How have you come to the conclusion that Rawson is not needed ? I'm not saying he is or he isn't! But how many times have you actually seen him play to come to that conclusion ?

Just had a quick look.

In our squad, we have 10 players who have played at left back professionally or in our U-23s. Forsyth, Olsson, Lowe, MacDonald, Anya, Baird, Wisdom, Johnson, Pearce, Hanson. Although we'd probably be in trouble if we were having to play Pearce or Hanson there, they are literally 9th and 10th choice. We have no need for Olsson. 

Just now, RamsFan10 said:

Just had a quick look.

In our squad, we have 10 players who have played at left back professionally or in our U-23s. Forsyth, Olsson, Lowe, MacDonald, Anya, Baird, Wisdom, Johnson, Pearce, Hanson. Although we'd probably be in trouble if we were having to play Pearce or Hanson there, they are literally 9th and 10th choice. We have no need for Olsson. 

Pretty sure Shackell has as well

4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

How have you come to the conclusion that Rawson is not needed ? I'm not saying he is or he isn't! But how many times have you actually seen him play to come to that conclusion ?

I've only seen him play about 3 times. I said 'whether you rate them or not' because i wasn't talking about ability, purely about numbers. In terms of centre halves, we have Keogh, Davies, Shackell, Pearce, Wisdom, Baird and Rawson hence why i said we don't need him - i'd argue he's a 7th choice. For all i know he could be the next Puyol mind ahaha. 

Where have all these Olsson fans been? I don't think I've heard many positives since he signed and suddenly a lot want him to stay.

Think he's looked okay in pre-season but he is totally surplus to requirements, and it isn't far off the point where he's blocking other players development. We have so many players who can do a job there for a few months if needed. 

Lawrence and Johnson (and Hanson :ph34r:) can play there too if desperate.

Olsson is a decent Championship defender who would probably get a starting place in many of the divisions' teams, those rubbishing him haven't got a clue!

Should we keep him? No - with everyone git he would be my 3rd choice and we are reasonably well equipped for LB. We have to start reducing numbers as soon as possible.

17 minutes ago, Rample said:

Where have all these Olsson fans been? I don't think I've heard many positives since he signed and suddenly a lot want him to stay.

Think he's looked okay in pre-season but he is totally surplus to requirements, and it isn't far off the point where he's blocking other players development. We have so many players who can do a job there for a few months if needed. 

Lawrence and Johnson (and Hanson :ph34r:) can play there too if desperate.

I know it's bizarre, he's rubbish but Wolfie likes him so must be pretty good!

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Olsson is a decent Championship defender who would probably get a starting place in many of the divisions' teams, those rubbishing him haven't got a clue!

Should we keep him? No - with everyone git he would be my 3rd choice and we are reasonably well equipped for LB. We have to start reducing numbers as soon as possible.

Yet I don't see all these clubs clambering over each other to sign him!  Maybe he's just pants like most of us can see with our own eyes

8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Primary role of a full back should be stopping wide men getting the ball in the box. He doesn't do it.

He may be decent getting forward but defensively he is very poor, opponents recognised this last season and targeted him game after game.

Archived