Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Crikey, and I quote a "Mackam", 

"Our players would be a lot better at origami than they are at football.". Surely we won't lose to a Club in free-fall. Will we? :mellow:

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Crikey, and I quote a "Mackam", 

"Our players would be a lot better at origami than they are at football.". Surely we won't lose to a Club in free-fall. Will we? :mellow:

Its...the...Derby....I don't need to finish that thought.

It'd be nice though, if for a change this season, we aren't the team that everyone ends their bad run against.

21 hours ago, McLovin said:

Both are our wingers are a bit meh and don't provide Martin with enough support, our midfielders also don't provide enough support for Martin so I wouldn't play 4-3-3.

I wouldn't mind seeing a diamond formation for the purposes of this particular game, Sunderland's defence look fragile so I think we need to get on the front foot and exploit this.

I would play something like this:(Anya picked to provide width)

Carson

Anya     Keogh       Davies   Forsyth

Huddlestone   

Butterfield                Johnson

Vydra

Nugent          Martin

I'm not a fan of any of our current wingers and Martin looks incredibly isolated when playing 4-3-3. But in reality, it will probably be the same team that played yesterday.

I see your point but I really don't think a diamond would work with the current players available, think it would be too easy to overload us out wide.  Tbh I do wonder if we'd be better off going with a 352. 

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies

Anya  JB    TH   BJ    Forsyth

Vydra

Martin 

With Wisdom Keogh and Davies we have three athletic CBs  who can cover the gaps that might appear. Two athletic wing backs that can get up and down to stretch the opposition and provide width. Huddlestone can sit in front of the back three dictating play with Butterfield and Johnson alongside him. Vydra is then free to float around in the hole with little defensive responsibility and can help support Martin. 

I don't think Rowett will go for it and it probably wouldn't be smart as we haven't prepared for it. I'm 90% sure he will play the same team that started on Sat, which I think will make us hard to beat but perhaps lacking a bit of attacking threat.

12 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Yes mate

With vryda sitting behind front 2 i think give sunderland something else think about. And tom huddlestone with his passing range.

Unless we tom lawance bewteen now and friday

Personally I don't think a diamond would be a good idea and would lead to quite a few problems. It's notoriously a difficult formation to get right because the inherent nature of the formation means you concede space out wide.

To make it work you need two hard working athletic fullbacks who can provide width and attacking threat, which you'd get from forsyth and Anya.

You also crucially need two very athletic midfielders to play in the middle of the diamond, this is necessary to cover the gaps that naturally will occur in a diamond (particularly out wide). Out of the current crop of the midfielders only a fully fit and in form Bryson would match that particular remit, with the rest all being pretty slow and not covering much ground.

Also an aside I think you'd want to swap the forwards around so you had Martin in the hole with Nugent and Vydra up top.  This so that Nugent and Vydra can drift a bit wider to try to stretch the opposition and allows Martin to stay central were he can get more involved in the play. 

I meant have nugent and martin and vryda sitting behind letting him create and lay of to nurgent or chris martin. And behind vryda you have bradley johnson and butterfield and sitting behind them you have tom huddlestone break up there play and allow us to attack more.

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

I meant have nugent and martin and vryda sitting behind letting him create and lay of to nurgent or chris martin. And behind vryda you have bradley johnson and butterfield and sitting behind them you have tom huddlestone break up there play and allow us to attack more.

I understood fully what you meant, I think it's flawed though. Vydra isn't particularly creative and doesn't help control the middle. Johnson and Butterfield aren't athletic enough to play in a diamond.

55 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I see your point but I really don't think a diamond would work with the current players available, think it would be too easy to overload us out wide.  Tbh I do wonder if we'd be better off going with a 352. 

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies

Anya  JB    TH   BJ    Forsyth

Vydra

Martin 

With Wisdom Keogh and Davies we have three athletic CBs  who can cover the gaps that might appear. Two athletic wing backs that can get up and down to stretch the opposition and provide width. Huddlestone can sit in front of the back three dictating play with Butterfield and Johnson alongside him. Vydra is then free to float around in the hole with little defensive responsibility and can help support Martin. 

I don't think Rowett will go for it and it probably wouldn't be smart as we haven't prepared for it. I'm 90% sure he will play the same team that started on Sat, which I think will make us hard to beat but perhaps lacking a bit of attacking threat.

I do like he diamond formation and the formation that you posted. I just don't think we have the players to play 4-3-3 anymore because we have no midfield runners and doing so would mean that we would be heavily reliant on Martin to score. Teams would also find it easy to stop like before where if you stopped Martin, you stopped Derby. For me, we need 2 of  a combination of Martin, Nugent or Vydra on the pitch  otherwise Martin will be left isolated. 

But outwide we have bennet that will run all day long and likes to cross a decent ball and russle offers plenty of heart. We could offer one youth players a chance in the first team. I firmly believe that best form of defance is to attack.

1 minute ago, admira said:

I think it's been 27 years since we last won at their place (Saunders and Harford scored for us) so it's time we did.

Yeah this Friday. :thumbsup::ph34r:

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

But outwide we have bennet that will run all day long and likes to cross a decent ball and russle offers plenty of heart. We could offer one youth players a chance in the first team. I firmly believe that best form of defance is to attack.

That worked out beautifully with McClaren in 14/15 didn't it :whistle:

4 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/30/drunk-darron-gibson-filmed-slamming-s-sunderland-teammates/?playlist=structure%3Afootball

Sound in good shape,good to see a professional sportsman prepare by getting on the sauce.

We have surely got to make them have it!

How low must DET go to run this as a story. Let the Tabloids and social media come out with such b*******.
The story it self is bad enough but then to show the video of an obviously drunk footballer saying things he thinks is in confidence to lads down the pub is pretty low stooping if you ask me.

I also see it as no surprise whatso ever to state that a couple of foreign boys only here for the money of the EPL are less than enthuiastic at playing 2nd tier football. Does anyone?

They always end up going to another countries top division to play if they are good enough.

Archived