Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, David said:

Whilst pre season results mean very little, there's a point where hold on, you shouldn't be getting heavily beaten 3-0 to St Johnstone and 5-0 to a Celtic side that wasn't their strongest. Lose 1-0 in both water off a ducks back, those results may sting a little more.

Confidence possibly rattled, wouldn't say shot, but with the fans unhappy if we can get going right from the start and get them on the back foot, get their fans restless, see no reason why we can't come away with the 3 points. 

Captain obvious right? I'd be surprised if Rowett isn't thinking the same. Talked a bit about his teams have always hit the ground running wherever he's been, be nice to see that continue as I sense a few boo's are bubbling under the surface still with our own fans over selling Hughes and Ince.

Team, think we'll see the same as yesterday unless we pick up any injuries, even if we sign Lawrence, Jota, Ojo, James can't see them walking straight into the team. 

Fairly optimistic about a 2-0 win, Martin and Weimann with the goals. Saw enough positives yesterday to say we're capable of creating chances, this isn't a Tyson and Samson frontline. 

Countdown begins.

I think your pretty much spot on there @David. One thing I'll add is that whilst I do think the first team needs improving a little we are definitely playing more like a team and we seem to have more of a clear tactical identity forming. Whereas Sunderland just seem a complete shambles. 

Both are our wingers are a bit meh and don't provide Martin with enough support, our midfielders also don't provide enough support for Martin so I wouldn't play 4-3-3.

I wouldn't mind seeing a diamond formation for the purposes of this particular game, Sunderland's defence look fragile so I think we need to get on the front foot and exploit this.

I would play something like this:(Anya picked to provide width)

Carson

Anya     Keogh       Davies   Forsyth

Huddlestone   

Butterfield                Johnson

Vydra

Nugent          Martin

I'm not a fan of any of our current wingers and Martin looks incredibly isolated when playing 4-3-3. But in reality, it will probably be the same team that played yesterday.

18 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Both are our wingers are a bit meh and don't provide Martin with enough support, our midfielders also don't provide enough support for Martin so I wouldn't play 4-3-3.

I wouldn't mind seeing a diamond formation for the purposes of this particular game, Sunderland's defence look fragile so I think we need to get on the front foot and exploit this.

I would play something like this:(Anya picked to provide width)

Carson

Anya     Keogh       Davies   Forsyth

Huddlestone   

Butterfield                Johnson

Vydra

Nugent          Martin

I'm not a fan of any of our current wingers and Martin looks incredibly isolated when playing 4-3-3. But in reality, it will probably be the same team that played yesterday.

I appreciate this is your opinion, and you're my suggesting it will happen...because it won't. Rowett has played the team in his preferred formations all pre season, with certain players seeing minutes in the positions they will play this season (Anya on the wing, not RB)

I share others opinions that we may play this one too conservatively, not go for the jugular when we perhaps should. 0-0

3 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I appreciate this is your opinion, and you're my suggesting it will happen...because it won't. Rowett has played the team in his preferred formations all pre season, with certain players seeing minutes in the positions they will play this season (Anya on the wing, not RB)

I share others opinions that we may play this one too conservatively, not go for the jugular when we perhaps should. 0-0

Yh, it's just what I would go for but there's no way Rowett's going to play that. It will probably be the same team that played yesterday and the aim will be to get a scrappy 1-0 win. If we do play the same formation though then Weimann and Russell will need to provide a lot more support to Martin as will Johnson and Butterfield/Bryson.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yh, it's just what I would go for but there's no way Rowett's going to play that. It will probably be the same team that played yesterday and the aim will be to get a scrappy 1-0 win. If we do play the same formation though then Weimann and Russell will need to provide a lot more support to Martin as will Johnson and Butterfield/Bryson.

Would you take a scrappy 0-1 win if offered it now...? 

As much as I want good football and lots of goals, results away from home are very important so I think I would

Just now, r4derby said:

Would you take a scrappy 0-1 win if offered it now...? 

As much as I want good football and lots of goals, results away from home are very important so I think I would

I probably would but I'm a bit of a gambler, would be nice to get a big win as a statement of intent but this game will be very hard. 

42 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I probably would but I'm a bit of a gambler, would be nice to get a big win as a statement of intent but this game will be very hard. 

Agreed. Gary is not a defensive hoofball merchant, but he is pragmatic and will play percentage football when necessary to get results.

Although we are unlikely to see beautiful possession football, If we play like we did against Fulham/Wolves at home, I'll be happy enough this season.

Score an early goal and these will crumble. I think we'll dominate the game in terms of the ball, but not overly confident with our attacking line we'll get the goals that will make it a comfortable game. 

Sunderland have made some very uninspiring signings. McGeady aside who I think is a good player at this level, Vaughan, Grabban and Steele aren't the best and they've still got that core group that have a losing mentality. 

I'd go with the same team that started yesterday. New signing straight in for Russell if we make any before Friday. 

20 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Score an early goal and these will crumble. I think we'll dominate the game in terms of the ball, but not overly confident with our attacking line we'll get the goals that will make it a comfortable game. 

Sunderland have made some very uninspiring signings. McGeady aside who I think is a good player at this level, Vaughan, Grabban and Steele aren't the best and they've still got that core group that have a losing mentality. 

I'd go with the same team that started yesterday. New signing straight in for Russell if we make any before Friday. 

Good post Sir but can't see any new signing going straight in. GR is too much of a psychologist to do that. If Bryson starts and Bradley turns up I think we'll play like a coiled Cobra...sit back, soak it up then...the fangs will bite. The Derek Ancona in me sees Huddlestone pinging it for Bennet to smash home after 21 minutes. 

I really hope we go 4-2-3-1, after 4 years of 4-3-3 think teams have worked it out, and away from home it always leaves the striker isolated (when we're pressed back). Would love to see Vydra behind Martin, but I feel Rowett will play the same side as against Hoffenheim. Even if we do sign someone, can't see him putting them straight in which is a shame. 

42 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Good post Sir but can't see any new signing going straight in. GR is too much of a psychologist to do that. If Bryson starts and Bradley turns up I think we'll play like a coiled Cobra...sit back, soak it up then...the fangs will bite. The Derek Ancona in me sees Huddlestone pinging it for Bennet to smash home after 21 minutes. 

Is that the Derek ancona who's sidekick is yvonne folding?  :lol:

10 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Ahah yes. Was on the pop side for that one. When the 4th goal went in Sunderland fan runs across the pitch and throws his replica shirt at their manager. 

I remember it well.

I took my (non-Rams-supporting) brother to that game. After that he wanted to go every week.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

So Steele is going to make a load of brilliant saves then...

Archived