Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

Here we have it, the season is back and no more shall we be forced to go shopping or even do housework on a Saturday afternoon.

We go to the Stadium of Light under the lights on a Friday evening, to kick off the entire football league season - how exciting.

I expect the team to be what we saw today unless any new arrivals join before the game. As for Sunderland, I really do not know what to expect. However, what I do know is, last time I started a matchday thread, we drew 3-3 to Bristol City, then lost 4-3 to Cardiff in the next game. So whatever happens, we're guaranteed action.

If you're not a half fan and you're going to the game, god bless you. Nobody should have to go to Sunderland so lets hope the boys can do the job and make it worthwhile(ish). COYR.

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think these are on their way to League 1. I feel for them a bit tbh. They were one of those PL teams that just treads water and buys the "experienced PL players" who aren't actually any good but are hanging on to PL status by their fingertips and clubs desperate to stay up are too scared to take risks on "unproven players"

They are all a ticking bomb. 

And Sunderland have not even been able to land in our pond looking like the big fish. Their signings, their manager... It's all very much the same PL tactic applied to the Champ. 

But the nail in the coffin will be the attitude their club seems to have right now. Seems defeated. Grayson already looks in too deep. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember playing Sunderland on opening day before:

I'd settle for the same again. Bring it on!

Ahah yes. Was on the pop side for that one. When the 4th goal went in Sunderland fan runs across the pitch and throws his replica shirt at their manager. 

Sunderland look so out of sorts. They have so many 'experienced' players on big wages but they are well past their prime.

They're like a worse version of QPR. At least under Harry Rednapp QPR had a boss who has been out of this division before, Grayson seems such a poor choice for them. Hardly inspires and their signings have largely been dreadful.

They'll probably beat us, would be typical. But they will finish closer to the bottom six than the top six this season. 

13 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

Could really be dull this one -Grayson set Preston up to be total spoilers probably do the same to stop the rot at Sunderland 

Think this only works if the opposition care though. Requires a lot of commitment that I'm not sure they have.

Carson

Wisdom       Keogh          Davies        Forsyth      

Huddlestone     Johnson

Bennett                Vydra                     Weimann 

Martin 

But it'll be unchanged from Hoffenheim, I don't see what others see in Forsyth, Bryson or Russell

24 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

I'm just concerned GR will set us up not to lose rather than be positive and look to take advantage of their seemingly being in turmoil.

Interesting point. I think he will believe we can take them. At this point I will reach for football cliche #4 in the Alan Partridge book of all-time footballing cliches..."It's important not to lose your first game". I myself would look to go for a "shock and awe" approach. Go for a very early onslaught and nab a quick goal. Sunderland fans are notorious for making for the exits in the  first 30 minutes if they go down early...:mellow:

I expect the same side as yesterday but I hope Bryson starts instead of Butterfield so we can get at them quickly as they clearly do not like people running at them. I fully expect to see our subs used well this season which will be the likes of nugent Vydra Butterfield Bryson Bennett 

11 minutes ago, JW37 said:

Carson

Wisdom       Keogh          Davies        Forsyth      

Huddlestone     Johnson

Bennett                Vydra                     Weimann 

Martin 

But it'll be unchanged from Hoffenheim, I don't see what others see in Forsyth, Bryson or Russell

I like that team, only tweak I'd make is Anya for Bennett 

Whilst pre season results mean very little, there's a point where hold on, you shouldn't be getting heavily beaten 3-0 to St Johnstone and 5-0 to a Celtic side that wasn't their strongest. Lose 1-0 in both water off a ducks back, those results may sting a little more.

Confidence possibly rattled, wouldn't say shot, but with the fans unhappy if we can get going right from the start and get them on the back foot, get their fans restless, see no reason why we can't come away with the 3 points. 

Captain obvious right? I'd be surprised if Rowett isn't thinking the same. Talked a bit about his teams have always hit the ground running wherever he's been, be nice to see that continue as I sense a few boo's are bubbling under the surface still with our own fans over selling Hughes and Ince.

Team, think we'll see the same as yesterday unless we pick up any injuries, even if we sign Lawrence, Jota, Ojo, James can't see them walking straight into the team. 

Fairly optimistic about a 2-0 win, Martin and Weimann with the goals. Saw enough positives yesterday to say we're capable of creating chances, this isn't a Tyson and Samson frontline. 

Countdown begins.

Archived