Piece of material that's more important to the fans

Day

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the captain in football means sod all.

In a lot of sports, just like Rowett said, the captain makes a lot of decisions based on personnel, tactics, that the manager would make in football.

All he does in football is a coin toss, and shakes hands with the opposition captain. (Note, all players line up now adays and shake hands with all opposition players)

15 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

the captain in football means sod all.

In a lot of sports, just like Rowett said, the captain makes a lot of decisions based on personnel, tactics, that the manager would make in football.

All he does in football is a coin toss, and shakes hands with the opposition captain. (Note, all players line up now adays and shake hands with all opposition players)

Interesting. While I agree that a captain in football probably isn't as important as other sports. I still wonder if the armband were given to another player, that you would be saying "It is an important job" because it is Keogh, it means sod all.

A good captain is one who will encourage those around him when things aren't going so well and not just toss the coin and shake hands (Not 100% convinced that Keogh is the right man to do this bit though)

3 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Interesting. While I agree that a captain in football probably isn't as important as other sports. I still wonder if the armband were given to another player, that you would be saying "It is an important job" because it is Keogh, it means sod all.

A good captain is one who will encourage those around him when things aren't going so well and not just toss the coin and shake hands (Not 100% convinced that Keogh is the right man to do this bit though)

This doesn't just fall on Keogh. There's plenty of players to do that.

35 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

This doesn't just fall on Keogh. There's plenty of players to do that.

Agreed, but as I said A good captain will do this. Keogh tends to rant at them instead of encouraging, hence the bit in brackets.

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Agreed, but as I said A good captain will do this. Keogh tends to rant at them instead of encouraging, hence the bit in brackets.

I've seen Keogh encourage the players plenty of times when we concede. He only goes mental when someone has made an absolutely colossal f-up (see the Christie one against Watford above).

Archived