Ross McCormack

David

18 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Agree. Given you a like but please, the word you wanted was "uninterested" not "disinterested". There's a big difference. :whistle:. Sorry the ex teacher in me won't go. 

Hate to be a pedant (lies) but I think disinterested is one of the words like 'literally' which the has been changed by the OED to mean the thing which it is mostly used as - Along with it's more traditional use

Pretty sure if you check it will say that disinterested can be used in the same was as uninterested

The OED is there to reflect the common usage of language not define it :)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Hate to be a pedant (lies) but I think disinterested is one of the words like 'literally' which the has been changed by the OED to mean the thing which it is mostly used as - Along with it's more traditional use

Pretty sure if you check it will say that disinterested can be used in the same was as uninterested

Bloody nora, am I editing my post or not?

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I've had to bloody look now!!?

"The difference between disinterested and uninterested is often controversial. According to traditional guidelines, disinterested should never be used to mean ‘not interested’ (i.e. it is not a synonym for uninterested) but only to mean ‘impartial’, as in 'the judgements of disinterested outsiders are likely to be more useful'. Ironically, the earliest recorded sense of disinterested is for the disputed sense. Today, the ‘incorrect’ use of disinterested is widespread: around a quarter of citations in the Oxford English Corpus for disinterested are for this sense."

48 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Remember when Fulham were paying what at the time was ridiculous money for a championship player for him. I think that was the start of silly mkmeynsigbings in the championship, and the end of 'barker type fee' being a marquee statement. 

Best word ever.

18 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

"The difference between disinterested and uninterested is often controversial. According to traditional guidelines, disinterested should never be used to mean ‘not interested’ (i.e. it is not a synonym for uninterested) but only to mean ‘impartial’, as in 'the judgements of disinterested outsiders are likely to be more useful'. Ironically, the earliest recorded sense of disinterested is for the disputed sense. Today, the ‘incorrect’ use of disinterested is widespread: around a quarter of citations in the Oxford English Corpus for disinterested are for this sense."

Sorry but I am completely disinterested/uninterested in this post.

19 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

Thanks Rich. And to confuse things more the noun of disinterested is disinterestedness but the noun of uninterested is disinterest. OK back to the thread. McCormack?  No thanks. He shows complete disinterest in training.       See what I did there?

45 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Don't think he would offer us anything different to Nugent + Vydra, Rowett has said he wants a different type of forward and has mentioned power & pace - don't think McCormack offers any of these

Lawrence will give us the pace-Sam Gallagher anyone for the power? It's that quiet on the transfer front I'm thinking we'll be going for Hale and Pace at this rate!

Just now, rcarso1 said:

Lawrence will give us the pace-Sam Gallagher anyone for the power? It's that quiet on the transfer front I'm thinking we'll be going for Hale and Pace at this rate!

With the age of players rowetts been signing perhaps what he actually said was " we may need some additional pacemakers " and he's been tragically misquoted :lol:

I stick by my original comment after we signed Huddlestone ...the next one or two signings will tell me where we are heading ...I think they will be younger and big money stella signings personally...and will back up GRs comment about Inces replacement ...we have enough 30+ players now...surely ? 

Archived