How young is too young?

Smyth_18

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took my 3 aged 8,5 and 5 to a game each at the BBG in its last few games. Then I bought 1 season ticket at pride park between them, hoping that at least one would become hooked. The twins loved it from the start. I realised after about 2 games that the eldest wasn't keen. He wanted to go and get some sweets after 5 minutes and when I told him the shop didn't open for another 40 minutes, he said that he didn't mind waiting on the concourse! 

16 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I took my 3 aged 8,5 and 5 to a game each at the BBG in its last few games. Then I bought 1 season ticket at pride park between them, hoping that at least one would become hooked. The twins loved it from the start. I realised after about 2 games that the eldest wasn't keen. He wanted to go and get some sweets after 5 minutes and when I told him the shop didn't open for another 40 minutes, he said that he didn't mind waiting on the concourse! 

My Dad would by loads of sweets for me and/or my brother at the train station before the game. I guess that helped keep our bums on the seats for the entirety of the game ?

My youngest was 2. It was against Grimsby I think and was 2-2 after about 15 mins. It was still 2-2 about 15 mins later. When he declared he was bored and spent the rest of the game playing on the wife's phone. He will be fine as long as you don't go in SS. Just take a back up entertainment source and a few treats. Oh and just remind him not to repeat any songs he may learn once he gets home 

I don't know hold old I was but I remember being passed over peoples heads to the front of the terracing at Torquay United so I could see. They were in Div 3 then. Wouldn't happen like that today.

My first memory was when I was around my teens when the late John Bond scored a goal from inside his own penalty area. That was the era of really heavy balls and I've been a fan of long distance shots ever since--hoof ball at its best 

I've got my little one, 5 in October, a season ticket this year. I don't expect him to go to every game and if I get a dozen out of him I will be happy as a starter. I'm taking him Saturday to see how we get on. Fingers crossed he likes it then it's home and away in a few years. 

19 hours ago, cosmic said:

He's old enough to go when he asks. 

17 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Absolutely correct. In my view, for what worth, this decision (or similar decisions) is nothing about the child and all about the parent. Each to their own though.

I agree with this pair, not that I have kids or been in the situation but it often looks like more of a day for the parents to say my son/daughter went to their first Derby game, not the kid itself.

Back and forth making the entire row stand up so little Timmy can have his 5th bag of crisps to keep him quiet so you can watch the game.

Must have been 8 or 10 when I first went, possibly a little older, I remember very little even at that age, middle tier of one of the two ends at the BBG, freezing cold and chips on the way home. Couldn't tell you who we played, the score or anything. 

Now I'm not saying every kid has a memory like mine, but some kids I look and think they have zero interest being here, would much rather be in the park kicking a ball about themselves.

If one day I end up with a kid, will be a bit of football on the park, see if they take to it and on TV, if so and like Cosmic and iRam say start asking to go, not once but weeks and weeks, I will then consider it. If they decide football isn't there thing I'll be just as happy.

Took my lad at 5.  Shef Weds game after Schteve returned for the first time.  Got a deal through his school, £25 for the both of us, North stand, his class mates could walk around the pitch with Rammy before kick off, the whole bit.  A couple of hours before kick off he decides he doesn't want to go, so I take him to my brother's house and set off to go on my own.  A phone call from my brother later, and he wants to go again.  Rush down to the ground, and he's in tears because he's missed walking round the pitch.  I calm him down, get in the ground and ask him if he wants something to eat, he wants some chips, we queue up, only to be told they don't do chips on the concourse!!!  Ask a steward to let us out, get some chips, he eats about a 3rd of them, get back in, get seated.  He's surprisingly excited when the teams come out, but once they've kicked off, he gets bored, I give him my phone and not much happens until Bucko scores right before half time, which my lad misses because he's gorming at my phone.  Half time & he throws a wobbler because the fan cam didn't pick him out, then my phone battery dies.  I decide enough is enough and leave.  We get back to the car, stick the radio one and find out Chris Martin has doubled the lead and celebrated (as the highlights displayed) right in front of where we sat!!!

Haven't been back with him since :(

Been taking my lad since he was two, I have always had a season ticket so got him one, also my old man goes so it's three generations!

Think he has only missed a couple of games when he was teething ! Upside is that he is now seven and knows every players name, has all the kits and there is absolutely no chance of him ever supporting any other team !

It is now engrained in his DNA !! Since I was young and all that !!

Never to young to be a Rams fan !!

On 7/26/2017 at 13:21, ramsbottom said:

Took my lad at 5.  Shef Weds game after Schteve returned for the first time.  Got a deal through his school, £25 for the both of us, North stand, his class mates could walk around the pitch with Rammy before kick off, the whole bit.  A couple of hours before kick off he decides he doesn't want to go, so I take him to my brother's house and set off to go on my own.  A phone call from my brother later, and he wants to go again.  Rush down to the ground, and he's in tears because he's missed walking round the pitch.  I calm him down, get in the ground and ask him if he wants something to eat, he wants some chips, we queue up, only to be told they don't do chips on the concourse!!!  Ask a steward to let us out, get some chips, he eats about a 3rd of them, get back in, get seated.  He's surprisingly excited when the teams come out, but once they've kicked off, he gets bored, I give him my phone and not much happens until Bucko scores right before half time, which my lad misses because he's gorming at my phone.  Half time & he throws a wobbler because the fan cam didn't pick him out, then my phone battery dies.  I decide enough is enough and leave.  We get back to the car, stick the radio one and find out Chris Martin has doubled the lead and celebrated (as the highlights displayed) right in front of where we sat!!!

Haven't been back with him since :(

Dropped off me car at Halfords on the Wyvern for it's MOT yesterday.  Walked up to the stadium with the lad to get a Greggs and wait for the bus into town.  Had 15 minutes to spare so went to the ticket office and got some for the Wolves game.  He seems genuinely excited to be going, so fingers crossed, things go a little bit better than last time...

I got 4 free tickets season before last and thooghtvid take my wife, 5 year old daughter and 6 month old son. Only when we got to the gate we were told that there is a minimum age limit so my wife had to sit in the car with my son all match while I went in with my daughter. 

Shed been to a couple before hand. I can't actually remember what her first match was now. I know we were sat in the corner in the disabled seats though, so we couldn't really see much. 

Now when I take her she normally sits with her back against the advertising hoardings playing on her iPad. She'd make a good steward. 

I took the little one Saturday, he enjoyed it, I was sceptical before as to how long he would last but to my surprise it wasn't until 80mins before he asked if we could go. Don't get me wrong we were loaded with snacks and a dozen or so Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. For the first half he watched it and asked lots of questions, previously he liked Ince so we had to pick him a new player, he had a look in the first ten minutes and chose Bradders so you can imagine how excited he was when he stepped up to take the penalty, the miss will serve him well as he will need to get use to disappointment. I agree 100% with what @David said about it all being about the parent. I am going to take him sparingly this season though he has asked if we can stay to meet the players next time. I am not sure if I am taking to the Wolves game yet, I will see how he is. I am thinking of taking him over to Moor Farm to see if we can meet some of the players and hopefully that will fuel his love of Derby.

Archived