How young is too young?

Smyth_18

Don't worry everybody, it's not a topic on sexual preferences and i am not the police.

On Saturday with it only being a friendly, me and my brother have decided to take my nephew to his first game 3 months before his 2nd birthday.

We know this could end in disaster but won't be losing much if we have to leave.

How old was your kids when you took them to their first game and how did it go?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Smyth_18 said:

Don't have my own but technically attended my first game at 6 months old - My mum brought me in just after half time and I 'watched' for like 10 mins (half-fan)

Started going more regularly when I was 6

However - From the kids who sit around where I do I'm not sure they have the same patience for the direness that we sometimes have to witness! The kids who are (at a guess) 6-9 seem to barely pay attention most of the game - My guess would be 9/10 is the age when they seem to be paying more attention to the game than whatever is going on in the stands

My eldest was 4 1/2 for his first game and he was more interested in the linesman, corner flag, lines on the pitch than the football.

The youngest had just turned 5, and he enjoyed it for the most part.

I took my son to his first game when he was 3, was the classic 5-5 against Scunthorpe, left at full time as extra time + pens would've been a bit too late for him!

My dad claims to have taken me to Wembley for the Anglo-Italian cup final vs Cremonese, I was 5 at the time and can't say I remember it but i'd say that was my first game. First game I remember going to was a Forest match at the BBG and having to stand a on a milk crate to see!

Took my first son at 18months old been coming with me ever since hes now 5.was the longest game iv been to but was worth the pain.

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Don't worry everybody, it's not a topic on sexual preferences and i am not the police.

On Saturday with it only being a friendly, me and my brother have decided to take my nephew to his first game 3 months before his 2nd birthday.

We know this could end in disaster but won't be losing much if we have to leave.

The acid test is.........does he know how to boo?

Took my son to the 2-2 friendly with Espanyol in 2007 - 2 weeks before his 3rd birthday - he loved it. First league game was Blackburn at home that December. Season ticket the following year and ever since. Daughter was slightly younger and now only goes if it's warm and she can take her iPad! ?

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

He's old enough to go when he asks. 

Absolutely correct. In my view, for what worth, this decision (or similar decisions) is nothing about the child and all about the parent. Each to their own though.

First game was at 6 years old against Burton Albion in Billy Davies' first pre-season, we won 3-1. Giles Barnes scored a hat-trick with Gary Rowett getting the consolation goal for them.

Got my first season ticket that year along with my first taste of promotion. It all went downhill after that:D.

Archived