The 2017/18 Academy Thread

Carl Sagan

I have really enjoyed watching the under 23s either being there in person or watching on rams tv. Well done to everyone involved.

Would love to see some of these getting into the first team squad.

We have Lowe at left back, Guy and Elsnick for central midfield and Babos has been very impressive too. Vernam as the no 10 or the top of a diamond shape. Luke Thomas is now breaking through. Bogle is looking good as  a right wing back. Josh Barnes in goal, what a keeper. Sibly, what a prospect. Karic at left back can put in great crosses. The center backs look solid too.

Were about to start enjoying the fruit Derby fans.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Boycie said:

Lots of loaded questions tonight pre and post match, they guys were really bigging the Academy up and speaking about the pathway to the first team and young Sisbly’s age etc. Investment in facilities and staff got a mention, the guys out on loan too.

I think they’ve read some of the comments on here I feel.  Maybe next year will see a few step up?

I really like the look of TM Elsnik, Babos should get on the bench too along with Thomas. Bogle has done well and Sibley looks to be a great prospect.  Charles Vernom linked up well with Elsnik on the occasions they did play together.

Well done, never seems to get the mentions I think he deserves. Great ball player with 2 good feet. Sure, he's young and makes a few mistakes, but that's the only way to learn. What I like about him, even if he misplaces a pass (concentration, probably), I can always see what he was trying to do, and it's usually positive. Unfortunately I can see him being our next Phil Boyer if he doesn't get a chance soon, and go on to impress somewhere else. He's probably been my favourite U23, and believe me, that's shaking off some pretty stiff competition

1 hour ago, ramblur said:

Well done, never seems to get the mentions I think he deserves. Great ball player with 2 good feet. Sure, he's young and makes a few mistakes, but that's the only way to learn. What I like about him, even if he misplaces a pass (concentration, probably), I can always see what he was trying to do, and it's usually positive. Unfortunately I can see him being our next Phil Boyer if he doesn't get a chance soon, and go on to impress somewhere else. He's probably been my favourite U23, and believe me, that's shaking off some pretty stiff competition

Well you don’t make captain of a team if there’s not something about you.

(no Keogh comments please)

Don't know but he was walking fine from his car with his blond missus before the game last night. Maybe they held a couple back in case of injury concerns with both games so close together. Bogle and Thorne missing also so a wing back and CM.

47 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Don't know but he was walking fine from his car with his blond missus before the game last night. Maybe they held a couple back in case of injury concerns with both games so close together. Bogle and Thorne missing also so a wing back and CM.

I think Rowett will have wanted them as part of the matchday 20. Two always get dropped. We often see them at away games as they travel, obviously.

Any injuries in warm up and they are then on the bench.

Harsh on the under 23s but that's the route into first team. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I think Rowett will have wanted them as part of the matchday 20. Two always get dropped. We often see them at away games as they travel, obviously.

Any injuries in warm up and they are then on the bench.

Harsh on the under 23s but that's the route into first team. 

Yeah that's what I meant, although Luke didn't arrive until around 1935 as he got out his car as we walked past.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Nuwtfly said:

I'm sure someone can answer me this question easily, but with Elsnik, Lowe and Guy's loans now over, would they be eligible to play for us in the play-offs?

I think it depends if they were "proper" loans or youth loans - I doubt any of them will be available, certainly not Lowe who will be playing in the playoffs with Shrewsbury!

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I think it depends if they were "proper" loans or youth loans - I doubt any of them will be available, certainly not Lowe who will be playing in the playoffs with Shrewsbury!

Elsnik’s must have been a youth loan as he also played for the 23’s

Archived