The 2017/18 Academy Thread

Carl Sagan

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to Max Bird whose achievements have been recognized by League Football Education, one of eleven youngsters across the Football League: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/10/derby-county-youngster-max-bird-recognised-by-lfe

"‘The 11’ acknowledges the football and academic progress of Under-18 players on apprenticeships at current or former English Football League (EFL) clubs - and is also designed to assess other factors including involvement in community or charity based initiatives.

"This accolade celebrates the holistic development of young players, a barometer which is also applied to the LFE Apprentice of the Year Awards presented at The EFL Awards dinner in April."

Another good win for the young Rams with a hard fought 1-0 win against Spurs.

That's Liverpool, United & Spurs all beaten in the last 4 games with the only reverse being against the mighty Manchester City.

Luke "the mini Messi" Thomas impressed again, as did Callum Guy in midfield.

Hats off to Jason Shackell who has been an absolute colossus at back in the past month. He certainly deserves massive credit for his attitude and his leadership.

Bring on Wolfsburg!

2 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Its a shame the Wolfsburg game is a home fixture.

Otherwise I might have gone, only down the road for me.

Any ideas why Derbys fixtures in the Premier league international cup all seem to be at Home?

It’s basically a premier league plus guests tournament rather than being the equivalent to a youth champions league.

Anyway, acccording to Wiki: “UEFA tried to block the creation of the tournament and refused to sanction its creation, to circumvent this all games will be hosted in England with games involving two foreign teams being held in neutral venues.”

Luke Thomas looks pretty handy - From the highlights I've seen the u-23s seem to play some decent football - Are they as good live?

Also - Saw Josh Barnes in the warm-up against Forest a couple of weeks ago - He looks very small for a keeper - He was making Mitchell look tall - Is he any good? Official site says he's 181cm (5 ft 9) - The successful 'small' keepers over the years have generally been a couple of inches taller than that

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Luke Thomas looks pretty handy - From the highlights I've seen the u-23s seem to play some decent football - Are they as good live?

Also - Saw Josh Barnes in the warm-up against Forest a couple of weeks ago - He looks very small for a keeper - He was making Mitchell look tall - Is he any good? Official site says he's 181cm (5 ft 9) - The successful 'small' keepers over the years have generally been a couple of inches taller than that

Think you need to check the converter again, I am 183cm and a hairline off 6ft :lol:. Guessing it said 5.9ft.

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Think you need to check the converter again, I am 183cm and a hairline off 6ft :lol:. Guessing it said 5.9ft.

Fair point - Never trust Google as standard then - 5ft 11 then - I retract my question

The official site actually lists him as taller than Mitchell but he didn't look it in the Forest warm-up - Unless that wasn't him...

Archived