The 2017/18 Academy Thread

Carl Sagan

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done the lads. Lifts us up into mid-table but we need to keep winning so we don't have the same nail-biting finish as last season. Everyone is accumulating points with no teams cut adrift, so there are no easy games (as Liverpool just found out). If we can beat league leaders Liverpool tonight, let's look at winning every week and these players forcing themselves into the first team picture. I would say that Luke Thomas seems to have performed at a consistently high level all season (and has been rewarded with a new contract already). He could be close.

The table after tonight is here:

59e51aaede6e2_20171016PremierLeague2.thumb.JPG.b26ad4d46f6068a71f8a655fc86020b9.JPG

More info at http://www.flashscores.co.uk/football/england/premier-league-2/standings/.

And it's always interesting to see the view from the other side: https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/10/liverpool-u23s-suffer-first-defeat-season-wind-affected-clash-derby/.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

He was.

?Said in jest of course but I really hope if Gary proves a stable appointment, he's got his eye on the likes of Vernham with a view to getting him in the match day squad next year.

Know some say they have to be ready but was Bennett when he played Peterborough along with Hughes. Sometimes got to throw them in a give them and taste to see if the can handle it. The Mickey Mouse cup don't do it for me. Let's see if they cope with the last 15 minutes or more of a league game.

Say again glad Rowett there though, just like Mac, Simmo and Eric used to turn up, must incentivise the youngsters to try that bit harder and feel like there is an interest being shown. 

14 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

U23s currently live for free on Rams TV in case anyone didn't realize. Very young team losing 3-0 at Man City after 63 minutes. 

Edit: just realized it was being discussed on previous page of the thread! Sorry... 

Thanks for posting squad though, I did wonder if it was a bit light on experience, seems I was right, must be because it’s a sat.

16 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Thanks for posting squad though, I did wonder if it was a bit light on experience, seems I was right, must be because it’s a sat.

Rowett said during the week that we had a bit of illness and some knocks in the senior squad, so various of the senior players were being held back in case. Plus, he added that the younger players needed games in the U23s to continue to develop. 

For those not watching, in the end we lost 4-1, an injury time consolation with fit again Emil Riis Jakobsen coming off the bench to head home (from close range) a Luke Thomas cross. 

Archived