Nugent has to start

kyle mccabe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That goal he scored against Fulham when he closed down the defender and never gave up chase to earn a goal (granted a bit of luck, but you make your own luck)....  epitomized his work rate and effort. Plays with the right attitude and shows bags of passion. Love him!!!

7 minutes ago, Redcar said:

That goal he scored against Fulham when he closed down the defender and never gave up chase to earn a goal (granted a bit of luck, but you make your own luck)....  epitomized his work rate and effort. Plays with the right attitude and shows bags of passion. Love him!!!

That was possibly my fave goal last season.

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I really can't believe anyone doesn't think Nugent is a superior footballer to Martin. 

They're different types of player.

Play to their strengths and they can both be effective, score goals, and lead a Championship team.

Technically, Martin is better.

Nugent is more mobile and offers more threat in different ways.

I can see pro's (and cons) for both playing really. Both showed tiny glimpses the other night of their strengths, only tiny though. 

Just to add a bit of balance to the work rate is the be all end all argument, most strikers get one or two like that a season even if they're not running around like headless chickens. In Martin's defence two that spring straight to mind are the Ipswich away back pass and also the one against Wolves at home where he gets his head in there before the keeper. The way some people go on about him you'd think he's on the half way line with his hands on his hips at all times. 

Nugent has plenty of work rate and hassle in him for sure, it'll definitely keep defenders on their toes and cause problems. The other thing that causes problems at every level in football in the final third is moving the ball at pace, don't think there's anyone better than Martin in our squad with that guile and execution in and around the box. Nugent has plenty of quality, I'm not knocking him for a start, he'll definitely score goals this year. I just don't think he's the same player that bagged for fun 2/3+ years ago that a lot seem to be clinging on to. Would love to be proved wrong. 

14 minutes ago, needles said:

They're different types of player.

Play to their strengths and they can both be effective, score goals, and lead a Championship team.

Technically, Martin is better.

Nugent is more mobile and offers more threat in different ways.

Just beat me to it but agree totally. :thumbsup:

49 minutes ago, kyle mccabe said:

I really feel that Nugent could be our 20 goal a season man does anyone agree?

Yes as long with Chris Martin.

Archived