tom huddlestone a great weapion

B4ev6is

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLovin said:

I'm also going to agree what @Alpha said. Hull fans say that Huddlestone was relatively poor in Steve Bruce's pragmatic style of play and only came into his own when Marco Silva came in and introduced his attacking football. Rowett comes across as pragmatic like Steve Bruce is with less emphasis on keeping possession but using it more effectively. I fear Huddlestone may be limited to an extent under Rowett. Under someone like McClaren however, he would have been perfect in a 4-3-3 imo where he can do exactly what he is good at, spraying the ball around. 

I see your point but I don't think Rowett is pragmatic in the way that Bruce is pragmatic. The impression I get from Rowett is that when we have the ball he wants us to be very aggressive when we are in possesion whereas Bruce's teams at Hull tended be a bit more cautious in possesion.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I don't think Huddlestone will help with creativity.

The differences between Thorne and Huddlestone are that Thorne is/was always happy to track a runner. Even if his positioning is a sometimes a bit iffy, which it can be I'm afraid, when he's fully fit he recovers well. He's come back many times to catch and bully a midfielder that's got the jump on him.

I don't think you'll get that with Tom.

Thorne will play a lot of diagonals of course. But he also will use width provided by wingers to put the ball through the channels. He used to look for Martin a lot. Firing the ball inside the wide players and outside the centre. 

Huddlestone, from what little I've seen of him in the latest years seems to be happy to just settle for the diagonals.

Thorne is faster to get forward too. A fit Thorne anyway. 

For keeping possession, hitting wingers early... Huddlestone will be good. For actually unlocking defences I think you will still be relying on Tom In-.... oh yeah.

Largely agree but just wanted to add that Huddlestone just looking to hit wingers could have been tactical by Bruce as opposed anything inherent about he plays. He certainly got it in his locker to open a defence.

No i am not masion bennet mate but i do have faith in him. And i do think style of play going suit down to the ground. Tom huddlestone does get around the pitch quite well but his passing is key to his game and plus he can fend of some roung tackles one two on him on tuesday night.

4 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Everyone who went to port vale on tuesday night saw his pin point passing 40 to 50 yard ball and to find a derby player if to find a striker or to help set up attacks from our wingers. But when geouge thorn returns we could have best midfield champership team ever seen. I think jonny russle could have a huge season and masion bennet. I truely looking foward to see these partnerships in play and nugent could benfit from and chris martin.

Better than Leicester and Reading who got more than 100 points? Huddlestone is a luxury player - not much use on wet Tuesday nights at places like Millwall and Burton.

I don't see Huddlestone as being quite as all action as Thorne. However, what you get with him is calm assurance in the centre of the park, know how from the highest level and an ability to play direct with pin point accuracy.

He's a good replacement for Thorne and will allow us to us him more sparingly. He will play a big part but you'd expect Thorne to be first choice for that role when fully fit.

4 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Everyone who went to port vale on tuesday night saw his pin point passing 40 to 50 yard ball and to find a derby player if to find a striker or to help set up attacks from our wingers. But when geouge thorn returns we could have best midfield champership team ever seen. I think jonny russle could have a huge season and masion bennet. I truely looking foward to see these partnerships in play and nugent could benfit from and chris martin.

It's going to be a long season if Russell is in the starting 11.

43 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Or how about both of them

It'd be interesting to see how that works mate. I think you'd have to play Bryson with them to do the running and bridge midfield with attack. You also couldn't have both of them sitting either. You'd have to push one up to hover around the box, which could be very interesting given their shooting technique being what it is! Could be tasty, could be flat and create no-mans land between defence and attack! Guess we won't know till we try.

2 hours ago, Grantona said:

Better than Leicester and Reading who got more than 100 points? Huddlestone is a luxury player - not much use on wet Tuesday nights at places like Millwall and Burton.

Nothing happening in Burnley, I take it?

Leave us lower league boys to it, or is survival in the top flight getting boring now?

Huddlestone likes ketchup. George doesn't like mushrooms.

we're all just going to have to wait and see if it works.

Archived