Benchmark for wingers

EnigmaRam

So I think most of us expect us to get a new winger in if not 2. 

But what is the benchmark for a good winger? Is it assists? Goals? Or both?

do we expect double figures of each? Over what period, last season or last 3 seasons average?

russells average over the last 3 seasons is 7 goals 10 assists.

lawrence over same period is 6.3 goals 6.3 assists.

statistically Russell is better but a lot want to get rid for very little and buy Lawrence for £6 mil plus.

thoughts?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Goals and assists yes.

we don't have a striker who is likely to hit 20+ so we need an ince type of return on the goals front.

Nugent and Martin are both capable of 20+ imo. 

Lawrence showed last season he is capable of replicating Ince's goal return so would be a vital signing.

24 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Nugent and Martin are both capable of 20+ imo. 

Lawrence showed last season he is capable of replicating Ince's goal return so would be a vital signing.

Both of them have only done it once In the league in their whole careers. 

So i certainly wouldn't expect it.

At the end of the day, a winger who scores 10 goals and creates 10 goals in a season will grab all of the headlines and the plaudits as an individual but this same player may be in a team which as a whole is not performing so well.

So what is the use in having such a prolific individual if the team doesn't prosper with him?

If the player is performing the role asked of him, if the player contributes positively to our style of play and complements the players around him making us a cohesive, winning team, that is the key for me.

It's great to have an individual who creates goals and scores goals, but it's even better to have a player who is a good fit, brings the best out of the players around him, helps to improve our all round play and most of all, improves our chances of winning football matches.

55 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Need double figures for assists and goals.

Are russells averages really that high over the last 3 seasons? Dont remember him hitting double figures in 1 season for assists?

Yes he has scored 21 times and assisted 30 in the last 3 seasons according to transfer market. Incidentally last season was 2 and 4 which was pants.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Goals and assists yes.

we don't have a striker who is likely to hit 20+ so we need an ince type of return on the goals front.

We don't have a striker who is likely to hit 20+? Erm we do have actually and his name CHRIS MARTIN. ??

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

So I think most of us expect us to get a new winger in if not 2. 

But what is the benchmark for a good winger? Is it assists? Goals? Or both?

do we expect double figures of each? Over what period, last season or last 3 seasons average?

russells average over the last 3 seasons is 7 goals 10 assists.

lawrence over same period is 6.3 goals 6.3 assists.

statistically Russell is better but a lot want to get rid for very little and buy Lawrence for £6 mil plus.

thoughts?

Good post - for me I want my wide players to deliver 8 goals and 8 assists minimum per season in addition covering his teammates nearby, I do like goal scoring widemen but their main role is to supply the ball in the right areas to the centre forwards

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Are russells averages really that high over the last 3 seasons? Dont remember him hitting double figures in 1 season for assists?

Last season was poor for all but Ince in all reality 

4 hours ago, Simsy said:

To have only done it once I wouldn't say he's likely. He can stay away from penalties too this season.

didnt you watch him v Doncaster? 

I watched a lot of players doing an extended fitness session and cm doing some nice lay offs plus a few cracks on goal.....I saw Nugent doing nothing but pound to a pinch of s**t,they will both get near to the fabled 20 goals a year this year and that's before the midfield who will feed heartily off of Chrissie's leftovers!

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I watched a lot of players doing an extended fitness session and cm doing some nice lay offs plus a few cracks on goal.....I saw Nugent doing nothing but pound to a pinch of s**t,they will both get near to the fabled 20 goals a year this year and that's before the midfield who will feed heartily off of Chrissie's leftovers!

Chrissie is feeding off Clements left overs :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Yeah and we were going to score over a 100 goals last season!

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

A heck of a lot of Russell's assists to my memory was Russell getting to the bye line and cutting the ball back for either Bryson or Martin  to put it in the net, which is a reminder for all three of them to be picked at the same time! 

I am sure some statto will confirm or deny Russell assists to which goal scorers in his time at DCFC ?

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

A heck of a lot of Russell's assists to my memory was Russell getting to the bye line and cutting the ball back for either Bryson or Martin  to put it in the net, which is a reminder for all three of them to be picked at the same time! 

I am sure some statto will confirm or deny Russell assists to which goal scorers in his time at DCFC ?

His last two last season was doing just that, Johnson got one and can't remember the other scorer

Archived