Is there stigma about hearing loss?

Wolfie

......and if so, why?.

I've recently been diagnosed with moderate to severe hearing loss in the mid-range of frequencies (which is where most speech lives). This wasn't a surprise to me, as I've been asking people to repeat stuff for ages and it's frustrating for all.

I'm being referred to the hospital for investigation, because there is a chance it may be caused or worsened by existing sinus & general head passage gunk conditions but it's more likely nerve damage and I'll end up with hearing aids.

Despite wearing glasses or contact lenses since I was 14, the thought of hearing aids fills me with apprehension and I don't know why, seeing as both are just making up for a natural weakness. People wear glasses all the time but this just feels like a bigger deal to me.

Is it just me?. Seriously.

By the way, I had hearing tests done at both Specsavers (first) and Boots opticians. It's Boots who told me to go the GP etc for a proper investigation. Specsavers just wanted me to immediately buy hearing aids. I'm glad I went for the second opinion.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

......and if so, why?.

I've recently been diagnosed with moderate to severe hearing loss in the mid-range of frequencies (which is where most speech lives). This wasn't a surprise to me, as I've been asking people to repeat stuff for ages and it's frustrating for all.

I'm being referred to the hospital for investigation, because there is a chance it may be caused or worsened by existing sinus & general head passage gunk conditions but it's more likely nerve damage and I'll end up with hearing aids.

Despite wearing glasses or contact lenses since I was 14, the thought of hearing aids fills me with apprehension and I don't know why, seeing as both are just making up for a natural weakness. People wear glasses all the time but this just feels like a bigger deal to me.

By the way, I had hearing tests done at both Specsavers (first) and Boots opticians. It's Boots who told me to go the GP etc for a proper investigation. Specsavers just wanted me to immediately buy hearing aids. I'm glad I went for the second opinion.

I think part of the issue regarding poor hearing is the frustration surrounding it - the sufferer almost being embarrassed to ask for what has been said to be repeated (often more than once) and the other person having to say the same thing (again).

It needs a much greater level of understanding and patience.

Thank you for writing this Wolfie.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  We can shout at each other!

I feel exactly the same way that you do - there's something about hearing aids that I just can't contemplate.  Apparently my type of hearing loss means that I would have to wear the larger external ones rather than the inner ear more discreet ones and I'm just not ready for that.

In the end it comes down to better hearing or vanity and at the moment I'm deliberately choosing vanity even though I know I miss things people say and I irritate the life out of my wife at times.  The good thing is that I can be selective over what I choose to hear without her being any the wiser

pardon?

Sorry, couldn't help it.  It was inevitable though :p

My hearing isn't great tbh, I worked in a noisy factory for around 10 years and I think its had a lasting effect.  I can hear the TV ok (at the same volume its always been at!) and listen to what people are saying when they look at me but any kind of background noise or if people aren't looking at me when they are talking its just a mumble - same goes for people with any kind of accent, its incredibly difficult to work out whats being said!  I've also noticed it getting progressively worse over the past couple of years.

I dunno about any stigma surrounding hearing loss but I do find it quite embarrassing having to ask people 2, 3 or 4 times to repeat themselves.  I'm also not sure I'd be comfortable walking around with a hearing aid whereas if I had bad eyesight I wouldn't think twice about wearing glasses.  Go figure.

31 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Thank you for writing this Wolfie.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  We can shout at each other!

I feel exactly the same way that you do - there's something about hearing aids that I just can't contemplate.  Apparently my type of hearing loss means that I would have to wear the larger external ones rather than the inner ear more discreet ones and I'm just not ready for that.

In the end it comes down to better hearing or vanity and at the moment I'm deliberately choosing vanity even though I know I miss things people say and I irritate the life out of my wife at times.  The good thing is that I can be selective over what I choose to hear without her being any the wiser

30 minutes ago, maxjam said:

pardon?

Sorry, couldn't help it.  It was inevitable though :p

My hearing isn't great tbh, I worked in a noisy factory for around 10 years and I think its had a lasting effect.  I can hear the TV ok (at the same volume its always been at!) and listen to what people are saying when they look at me but any kind of background noise or if people aren't looking at me when they are talking its just a mumble - same goes for people with any kind of accent, its incredibly difficult to work out whats being said!  I've also noticed it getting progressively worse over the past couple of years.

I dunno about any stigma surrounding hearing loss but I do find it quite embarrassing having to ask people 2, 3 or 4 times to repeat themselves.  I'm also not sure I'd be comfortable walking around with a hearing aid whereas if I had bad eyesight I wouldn't think twice about wearing glasses.  Go figure.

I thought maybe it was just some weird phobia or prejudice of mine or something but the best way I can put it is that failing eyesight for whatever reason is seen as normal and one of those things, where as hearing loss feels like more of a disability. This despite the reality being that if I didn't wear my glasses or contacts, my eyesight would be a lot worse than my un-aided hearing is now.

Maybe the hearing aid industry needs to improve the image of them. Given them a new name. Make them fashion accessories - like glasses are.

The stigma does exist unfortunately and it exists because it's far less common to see people below pension age wearing hearing aids. Hearing aids are more functional than cosmetic. You see people (idiots) wearing glasses without lenses as a fashion accessory, but the same can't be said of hearing aids. You need a couple of famous people to lose their hearing. If George Clooney and Jennifer Lawrence go deaf you'll soon see trendy brands making expensive, over designed hearing aids and daft hipsters with perfect hearing wearing them as an affectation.

The good news is that, like anything, once people are over the initial surprise they'll soon forget about it.

15 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

......and if so, why?.

Communication shouldn't be a problem and hearing aids have come a long way in the last 15 years or so.

Simple signing  (look up makaton) could also help as a supplement and increasingly there is no stigma attached.

Good luck.

My mother went partially deaf when she was about fifty and she didn't nothing about it.  She is now in a nursing home with dementia.

The reason is that a recent study has found that mid-life deafness could be a link to dementia later in life (9% - not a huge amount, but made me think of my mother when I read it), therefore screw what others may think or say and get as much help with your hearing as you possibly can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40655566

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

......and if so, why?.

I found I only had hearing in one ear when I was about 8. The only explanation the doctors gave was nerve damage when I had mumps at nine months old. I found that a hearing aid didn’t help much for me and the technology 37 years ago didn’t help with a big clunky hearing aid that just amplified a mumble in my ear which I had never heard sound in. 

I am now told that technology has advanced and all sorts of things can be done to assist with hearing. I am just used to it now that it doesn't bother me too much.

Problems came along all through growing up from not hearing things at school to sitting next to people on an aeroplane who I just can't hear I find myself just smiling and nodding my head.

It depends how you look at it. If you take it as it is that you are having the aid to help you hear to continue a normal life or is the hearing aid a sign above your head saying look I'm deaf.

I think I might go and see what the NHS can do for me now.

I've been wearing hearing aids for 8 or 9 years now - the visible 'over the ear' ones.

I don't give a tinker's cuss what other people think about me being deaf. They also have a great advantage over 'normal' ears - they can be switched off.

I had an MRI scan a couple of weeks ago, the doctor I saw wanted to check my inner ear for something, I couldn't hear what she wanted to check for, just waiting for an appointment late August/early September to see what's what and get new hearing aids.

I had a pair about nine years ago but couldn't get on with them but my hearing has deteriorated quite a bit in the last two, it's not all bad news though, my drums don't sound as loud to me as they do to others. :lol:

Specsavers have the contract for NHS hearing aid services. You don't need to go to the Drs if you feel you need a hearing test, you can refer yourself by going into Specsavers and just asking them to test you. You don't need to waste GP time (and your own) by going to ask them if they think you're going deaf. (So Boots were wrong in sending you to the GP @Wolfie

Archived