Sheyi Ojo joined Fulham on loan

DcFc Dyycheee

4 minutes ago, feisty said:

Develop ojo or Bennett. I know I sound like a broken record  but rather we develop our own unless the loanee is truly exceptional 

Wouldn't have said Bamford was exceptional but was an important player for us in the (horrible) playoff final season

If we were aiming for mid-table I'd be all about giving young players a chance to prove themselves - If we want promotion we need players who improve us

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Boro5707 said:

I would very much doubt you are clearly ahead of us in terms of facilities as you state above.  Our training ground is pretty much second to none in Europe, not to mention 5 Star Rockcliffe Hall complex which cost 60 million at the training ground. 

I do think there is a good chance he wont go to us due to lack of gametime.  

I've looked up the Rockcliffe training facilities, very nice, but don't see anything there that beats Moor Farm

20 minutes ago, Boro5707 said:

I would very much doubt you are clearly ahead of us in terms of facilities as you state above.  Our training ground is pretty much second to none in Europe, not to mention 5 Star Rockcliffe Hall complex which cost 60 million at the training ground. 

Think our facilities are one of the best in the country and was rated something like top 20 in Europe I read somewhere? I'm not Mel Morris' biggest fan but he's certainly put his candy crush money where his mouth is with the development of moor farm.

21 minutes ago, Boro5707 said:

If I'm honest i've not seen much of Boro's, but just seen that you lot have that category 1 status thing too which is usually an indicator of quality facilities so you're probably right. I was just judging it off the fact Mel Morris appears to throw 60 million a year into our training centre these days. 

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Wouldn't have said Bamford was exceptional but was an important player for us in the (horrible) playoff final season

If we were aiming for mid-table I'd be all about giving young players a chance to prove themselves - If we want promotion we need players who improve us

If we hadn't of let Will and Jeff prove themselves we wunt have made the play off final...

23 minutes ago, Boro5707 said:

1) Chelsea modeled their training facilities on Moor Farm - Moneybags Chelsea thought our was good enough that they needed to check it out before building one

2) Man City? Your facilities are really as good as the giant training academy they've built? I suspect not

19 minutes ago, feisty said:

Develop ojo or Bennett. I know I sound like a broken record  but rather we develop our own unless the loanee is truly exceptional 

Why not both? Bennett has appeared to be at least as good as Russell and Weimann in pre season, if we manage to sell one of them (preferably Russell, as i still think Weimann has a lot to show playing down the middle) Bennett would surely get games? Lawrence, Ojo, Bennett and Anya as 4 wide options looks useful too me, and with Lawrence being able to play behind the striker too I'm sure Bennett will get game time (assuming we buy him). Probably worth remembering Bennett has barely played many championship games and hardly set the world alight, i wouldnt want to rely on him for a whole season. 

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Depends how 'recent' is recent. Brad Jones? Worst keeper I've seen playing for us in decades.

Ahhh yes, but still i'd hope Liverpool could see that Brad Jones' poor loan wasn't really our fault at all, it was his for being sh*te :lol:

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

If we hadn't of let Will and Jeff prove themselves we wunt have made the play off final...

Hughes and Hendrick came in when we were mid-table PLUS they were an improvement to the squad - Which is my exact specifications of what I said I wanted

If Bennett can prove that he's the best option we have right now then great! All for that - However if we want to get promoted we cannot be playing guys who might be good enough in a couple of years if they get the game time

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Hughes and Hendrick came in when we were mid-table PLUS they were an improvement to the squad - Which is my exact specifications of what I said I wanted

If Bennett can prove that he's the best option we have right now then great! All for that - However if we want to get promoted we cannot be playing guys who might be good enough in a couple of years if they get the game time

Timi and Mason may improve the team given a decent run of games. We'll never know if they don't get the chance.

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If all clubs took that view then players from England would rarely develop. Even Spurs who are a top Premier League side trust, and give chances to their youth, and it hasn't harmed them. Same with Liverpool. Maybe some of our players would be good enough if they got a regular spell in the first team side, but we're too quick to write them off as 'not ready'. Bennett is 21, he really needs to be playing or should be moved on. 

51 minutes ago, Srg said:

2 and a half weeks til the first game and over a month til the end of the window, and we're "running out of ideas" based on a couple of rumours?

Don't forget we heard about Curtis Davies one day and signed him the next.

Currently we're only looking at the English leagues, we're looking at players at the top end of the Championship and the bottom end of the EPL. Not only that but there are then tactical and financial constraints as to which players we have interest in. Regardless of how long there is left to do business (don't quite understand how that's relevant to my point?) - there is a small pool of players we are probably interested in. Hence, the same names are always suggested on this forum.

If Lawrence and Jota are no go's, which may well be the case, we're forced to look at back ups who undoubtedly offer a whole lot less. I don't want to give Ojo too much grief; time will tell and all that, but he doesn't appear to have the final ball we are lacking, nor does he seem to look to pass the ball when he gets onto it. 

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Timi and Mason may improve the team given a decent run of games. We'll never know if they don't get the chance.

True - But a series of managers have decided they aren't ready yet which is why they haven't played

If Rowett decides they are ready then I'll trust his judgement for now and be very happy if they succeed

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If all clubs took that view then players from England would rarely develop. Even Spurs who are a top Premier League side trust, and give chances to their youth, and it hasn't harmed them. Same with Liverpool. Maybe some of our players would be good enough if they got a regular spell in the first team side, but we're too quick to write them off as 'not ready'. Bennett is 21, he really needs to be playing or should be moved on. 

Actually both Liverpool and Spurs only use the young players they think are ready - We got Dawkins from Spurs for very little at a ripe old age because they'd never given him any game time - And we just signed Wisdom from Liverpool - Neither side will actively weaken their side for half a season just to give a young player a chance...

I would love for us to be producing some top young talent - And I think Elsnik looks very promising - Think Lowe could be a very good LB (if he can stay fit) - But given the option between a player who is ready to improve our team right now and a player who maybe could improve our team at some point - I'm now looking for the former

Just now, cheron85 said:

True - But a series of managers have decided they aren't ready yet which is why they haven't played

If Rowett decides they are ready then I'll trust his judgement for now and be very happy if they succeed

Actually both Liverpool and Spurs only use the young players they think are ready - We got Dawkins from Spurs for very little at a ripe old age because they'd never given him any game time - And we just signed Wisdom from Liverpool - Neither side will actively weaken their side for half a season just to give a young player a chance...

I would love for us to be producing some top young talent - And I think Elsnik looks very promising - Think Lowe could be a very good LB (if he can stay fit) - But given the option between a player who is ready to improve our team right now and a player who maybe could improve our team at some point - I'm now looking for the former

But surely, as a category 1 academy, we should be producing players of a similar standard to these big clubs? Our players regularly play against the top clubs academy players, and so must be at a similar kind of level? I know they wouldn't actively weaken their side, but the point I'm trying to make is they give the player a chance. Do we really think Russell is leagues ahead of Bennett? I personally don't. I don't see why we shouldn't give Bennett a chance. The fact is, it's a more viable long term and particularly in the financial aspect beneficial. 

The fact is, some of our wingers have been playing in this league for years and not improved as a player, and perhaps peaked. Whereas, a player like Bennett with some Championship experience may improve dramatically. I also think fans are less likely to get on the back of a homegrown player, people were reluctant to criticise Hughes. I agree with you to weaken our side just to force them in isn't the best idea, however I believe we have to start integrating the players into the first team, or they will just move somewhere that will.

I also don't believe that some of our players are that far ahead of the top crop of the under 23's, who I believe could make the step up. 

12 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Currently we're only looking at the English leagues, we're looking at players at the top end of the Championship and the bottom end of the EPL.

Have you got a source for this? I've not seen anyone say we're only looking for English League players. Maybe it's less likely that newspapers get the details if we're going for foreign players as it's less likely to be leaked. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

But surely, as a category 1 academy, we should be producing players of a similar standard to these big clubs?

We should yes - So far we have produced Hughes and Hendrick 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I know they wouldn't actively weaken their side, but the point I'm trying to make is they give the player a chance.

They give them a chance IF they're ready - Look at Chelsea - Piazon is back out on loan again - As I imagine will be half of their squad again - And Liverpool are just as bad - The other thread we have on Kevin Stewart, we're talking about loaning Ojo - Both aren't considered good enough yet so aren't getting game time

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Do we really think Russell is leagues ahead of Bennett?

Yes - And my evidence is that a whole series of managers so far have thought that too

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Whereas, a player like Bennett with some Championship experience may improve dramatically

Yeh but equally he might stay at the same level which could weaken our side for ages

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I also think fans are less likely to get on the back of a homegrown player, people were reluctant to criticise Hughes.

Hughes is case and point for me - He was good enough - He came in - Showed he improved the side right away - As did Hendrick

I would LOVE for Bennett to be the best winger in our squad - Would LOVE for his goals and assists to fire us to the Premier League - However if he's not ready to improve us I can't advocate him starting games just to see if he will develop or not

I am very fussy when it comes to wingers/wide players - we don't need players that just run fast as we have just sent camara back to France very quickly and we have Anya Who can run quickly ( but better at full back) I like players that are consistent in terms of goals scored and assists made and I want about 8 of each a season from either flank we currently have Russell who averages that for us despite last season where all but Ince last season were poor and if we signed Lawrence he seems to average that last season at Ipswich- could Ojo match that? - maybe or is it a sign that we are not getting close on the Lawrence saga ? 

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

I've looked up the Rockcliffe training facilities, very nice, but don't see anything there that beats Moor Farm

I never said anything about beating your training facilities.  I was replying to the post stating yours were clearly ahead.  Making out that ours were below par.  Both CAT 1 academies ect.    Both invested heavily in the training facilities and academies. 

Rockcliffe training ground was built in 1998 costing 7m.  

Moor Farm was built in 2003 costing 5m. 

Archived