Pre Season Woosah's

Day

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I see we're back onto the Johnny Russell debate. 

You can bring up his lack of goals all you want (I'll admit he was disappointing in that regard last season), but no player has forced him out of the side yet, and that's on them.

His defensive work is far superior to the rest of our wingers. Until the likes of Weimann, Anya and Blackman show that their attacking ability makes up for their lax defensive work, then Russell will always have a place in the team.

38 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

You can bring up his lack of goals all you want (I'll admit he was disappointing in that regard last season), but no player has forced him out of the side yet, and that's on them.

That says a lot about our horrendous recruitment over the past few years.

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

That says a lot about our horrendous recruitment over the past few years.

Yes it does. An awful lot of money spent (I'd wager over £6 million), and all of it failed to buy a better winger than a striker playing out of position who was bought for £750,000

7 hours ago, curtains said:

Not irrelevant as Johnny scoring has gone downhill.  He scored most of his goals early in his DCFC career. 

The other haven't been given as much chance but others need to go as well to trim the squad down.  Rowett needs to reduce numbers he said it himself. 

I imagine you'll find most players who have been at the club more that 3 years will have scoring records better towards the start. If you consistently play attacking, dynamic football players like Russell will prosper.

Our tactics and individuals' performances don't exist in isolation, save players like Bent and Ince who seem to score regardless (but at what cost to the overall success of the side?)

Getting back to pre-season... so far it's what you'd expect, some good, some average, some crap. At this stage it's about fitness, finding sharpness and building momentum. The last couple of friendlies will be about ironing out tactics and developing more cohesion across the side. Even then i wouldn't be taking too much notice, I'd measure more against the first half of the season. Even then barring any disasters I'd be looking to give GR 18 months or so to get control of the side and build the club back towards something cohesive. Too many short term influences and incoherent changes of direction. Now it's time (again!) To be patient and try to build something long-term.

Players train over the summer break, following prescribed and remotely monitored programmes. Those involved in international games get only a short break.

I would have thought that it was therefore less about fitness now, than it was in the past.

if fatigue was a factor in the game v donny, then the result of fatigue was that we stood off and dropped deep.

therefore surely we would anticipate that fatigue will kick in, and the emphasis should be on maximising our threat whilst we are relatively fresh.

i.e. It should be about tactics too.

14 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

I imagine you'll find most players who have been at the club more that 3 years will have scoring records better towards the start. If you consistently play attacking, dynamic football players like Russell will prosper.

Our tactics and individuals' performances don't exist in isolation, save players like Bent and Ince who seem to score regardless (but at what cost to the overall success of the side?)

Getting back to pre-season... so far it's what you'd expect, some good, some average, some crap. At this stage it's about fitness, finding sharpness and building momentum. The last couple of friendlies will be about ironing out tactics and developing more cohesion across the side. Even then i wouldn't be taking too much notice, I'd measure more against the first half of the season. Even then barring any disasters I'd be looking to give GR 18 months or so to get control of the side and build the club back towards something cohesive. Too many short term influences and incoherent changes of direction. Now it's time (again!) To be patient and try to build something long-term.

Good post 

I'm willing to give all the players we have a clean slate and wait and see what happens this season with them all but if that means some players will be unhappy if Rowett doesn't pick them then that's fine as long as the manager doesn't get hammered for not playing certain players over others. .

Now as for Rowett he says he needs to trim the squad down but he has also said he's looking at bringing in a couple of new players to give him more options in attack. 

Sum of that will be a bigger squad. 

I await to see what happens.

Up the Rams 

Rams4life 

23 hours ago, curtains said:

Who do you think Rowett should move on then. 

Rowett needs to reduce his squad size otherwise there will be loads of unhappy players who can't get a game in the first 18 

Rawson Hanson Blackman Roos Pearce butter field and loan out Lowe.

Harry Redknapp on Nick Blackman: "Wow, I can't reiterate what a terrific lad and footballer he is. I've coached Gareth Bale and I have to say that this lad is right up there with him and has similar physical attributes. I've love to see a top 4 team like my old club Spurs go out and sign him because he really is that talented."

On the criticism that Blackman has faced by Derby fans: "What do they know, they're great fans but let's be honest, all they do is drink all day outside weatherspoons, they know nothing about the game." Sources however, later confirmed that Redknapp was highly intoxicated during the interview after downing 5 shots of tequila and a bottle of jack Daniels before ironically heading to weatherspoons himself to meet up with good friend Ray Wilkins to discuss brexit.

Archived