Jon Toral - signed for Hull City

Animal is a Ram

Rather play Elsnick. Guy struggled at Rangers which is alarming, they say he shys from tackles. He'll get slaughtered here by the fans, Elsnick and Butterfield are better options IMO. Rather develop what we have and use the money for quality winger or 2.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, feisty said:

Would far rather we develop our own talent. Haven't seen anyone in any thread ever mention this bloke before. Just because he's from arsenal doesn't mean he's all that. Rather play Bennett or elsnik

From what I saw of him at Brum, he's got plenty of talent and would improve us. 

For me, we have more than enough players who can play at 10. Nugent,Vydra,Butterfield, Weimann, Martin can all play there and Bryson's best position is as a second striker with his late arrivals into the box. Russell has also played there times in his career and that's before even mentioning the under 21s like elsnik. What we genuinely need are two proper wingers to stretch the game. The need for two quality wingers are enhanced especially when our full backs are going to be more defensive this season.

7 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

From what I saw of him at Brum, he's got plenty of talent and would improve us. 

It's very much a 'meh' from me. Maybe he's one for u23s. Not fussed about getting him.

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

no better than Butterfield, probably not even as good as Butterfield, baring in mind that Butterfield has barely played in his natural position.

Butterfield best position will probably be substitute this coming season based on what we currently have but time will tell.

10 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Rather play Elsnick. Guy struggled at Rangers which is alarming, they say he shys from tackles. He'll get slaughtered here by the fans, Elsnick and Butterfield are better options IMO. Rather develop what we have and use the money for quality winger or 2.

He performed great for Port Vale though :D

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

For me, we have more than enough players who can play at 10. Nugent,Vydra,Butterfield, Weimann, Martin can all play there and Bryson's best position is as a second striker with his late arrivals into the box. Russell has also played there times in his career and that's before even mentioning the under 21s like elsnik. What we genuinely need are two proper wingers to stretch the game. The need for two quality wingers are enhanced especially when our full backs are going to be more defensive this season.

None of those would consider the 10 their natural position though. IMO we need someone who's played there for most of their career and can be creative on the ball in the final third. Vydra played their last season and although he scored a few, he didn't look to get on the ball and instead simply scored goals that he would score as a striker. I imagine Nugent would be the same, whilst Weimman doesn't have the technical ability to play there. The only ones I could potentially see playing the 10 properly are Butterfield and perhaps Martin (at a push).

Edit: That's not to say that I wouldn't give Vydra a run there next season, it's just I think we need a natural 10 in there in case those options don't work out. Vydra looked promising in those few games last season but I wouldn't want to go into the season purely with round pegs in square holes.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Butterfield best position will probably be substitute this coming season based on what we currently have but time will tell.

I am not going to dispute this, could well be right. I would say the same of Toral, he has not progressed/developed and was never good enough to get into a post-Clough Derby side.

3 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I am not going to dispute this, could well be right. I would say the same of Toral, he has not progressed/developed and was never good enough to get into a post-Clough Derby side.

No dispute from me, this is one we will have to trust the manager on.

10 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

None of those would consider the 10 their natural position though. IMO we need someone who's played there for most of their career and can be creative on the ball in the final third. Vydra played their last season and although he scored a few, he didn't look to get on the ball and instead simply scored goals that he would score as a striker. I imagine Nugent would be the same, whilst Weimman doesn't have the technical ability to play there. The only ones I could potentially see playing the 10 properly are Butterfield and perhaps Martin (at a push).

Edit: That's not to say that I wouldn't give Vydra a run there next season, it's just I think we need a natural 10 in there in case those options don't work out. Vydra looked promising in those few games last season but I wouldn't want to go into the season purely with round pegs in square holes.

Well I am in my 50's and when I played a number 10 plays next to a number 9 and they both score lots of goals 

Martin/nugent or Martin/ Vydra for me 

1 hour ago, MovableRam said:

Just a compilation of poor dribling attempts and a gallery of tin pot shots. A couple of good passes though. A big NO from me. Tom Lawrence looks like Garrincha on his youtube video compared to this.

Absolutely spot on...if that's his video CV then no wonder there's not a queue of clubs for him...on that evidence he is no better than our current squad - Butterfield, Blackman. If he's better than the video suggests, his agent should seriously get him to edit his video down to the best bits...of which there are not many. 

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

If we only contacted Arsenal yesterday, suggests that means plans A (Lawrence, Jota?) aren't coming up trumps, so looking at plans B. 

Yes...defo a Plan B option. I'd file him under "D" for "Don't call us". :mellow:

From what i have seen of him (not tonnes) he would be an average signing. The kind you would only sign on a free or a low fee. Not an improvement in what we have.

If we are only signing 2 more senior players I am hoping for real stand out players like Lawrence and Jota who can take us a step forward. If we don't do that then it was pointless selling Hughes and Ince.

If we sign someone due to a video, any chance we could try and get Kim Kardashian? She has got epic ball skills on her video.

Toral was a quality player for Brum and at the age he is, could be someone we turn into a great player.

Butterfield is proof that a good player can look terrible if the manager in charge plays them in the wrong positions. Could it be the same with Warburton and Toral?

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If we sign someone due to a video, any chance we could try and get Kim Kardashian? She has got epic ball skills on her video.

Toral was a quality player for Brum and at the age he is, could be someone we turn into a great player.

Butterfield is proof that a good player can look terrible if the manager in charge plays them in the wrong positions. Could it be the same with Warburton and Toral?

But if you're saying that Butterfield only underperforms due to being played out of position, then why would you want us to sign Toral? They play in the same position, naturally.

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

I don't want to put the lad down before I have had a proper chance to look at him but to put things into perspective, that Granada team were equivalent to our team in 07/08 in the prem. They were absolutely diabolical. That either shows that he isn't as good as they many think he is as he couldn't even get into their team or that when he did play, he had next to no support so couldn't show his true potential.

I remember John Gregory dropping down two divisions to become the centre of our rebuild.

In amongst the decidedly average team we had back then John Gregory looked decidedly rubbish. Putting balls into areas where there were no players, sending balls forward into spaces where there was no one to be seen etc.

The fact was, He was too good for that division and those around him. He was putting the balls into spaces where HE expected a good player to be.

We all know what happened over the next few seasons.

So if we can get this lad cheaply and Gary already knows him, then what do we have to lose.

Maybe, just maybe he was a decent player in some god damned awful teams.

Archived