Warcraft Game 'More Addictive Than Crack'

David

The computer game, played by millions, has been dubbed "the most dangerous game on the market" by addiction therapists at Sweden's Youth Care Foundation.

A 15-year-old Swedish boy collapsed and went into convulsions after playing it for 24 hours earlier this month.

The report's author Sven Rollenhagen said: "There is not a single case of game addiction that we have worked with in which World of Warcraft has not played a part.

"It is the crack cocaine of the computer gaming world. Some people are literally unable to drag themselves away and will play it till they drop."

The Swedish National Institute of Public Health backed the report, adding: "Computer game addiction is becoming more widespread in Sweden and across the world.

"There is no known medical diagnosis of conditions brought on by excessive game-playing, but it is clear they have a very powerful addictive hold over many people who use them."

The boy was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with an epileptic-type seizure brought on by sleep deprivation, lack of food, and too much time in front of a screen.

The game's US makers Blizzard Entertainment say 11 million people worldwide play World of Warcraft.

Psychiatrist Dr Richard Graham, of London's Tavistock Centre, said: "Some of my clients will discuss playing games for 14, 16 hours a day at times, without breaks and without attending to their physical needs.

"For those, the consequences are potentially severe."

[url=http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/World-Of-Warcraft-Computer-Game-More-Addictive-Than-Crack-Cocaine-Say-Experts-In-Sweden/Article/200902415231644?lpos=World_News_First_Technology_Article_Teaser_Region__0&lid=ARTICLE_15231644_World_Of_Warcraft%3A_Computer_Game_More_Addictive_Than_Crack_Cocaine%2C_Say_Experts_In_Sweden]http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-New...perts_In_Sweden

Have we got any addicts on here that can explain why I should come off crack and play this game instead?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the game is sooooo fkin w*nk, full of lifeless people playing a boring game with spells and magic and stuff!!!

i only play FPS games, and i was slightly hooked on it at first because its an awesome game, warcraft games realy are the biggest waste of life and money, not only charging you initialy for the game, but then monthly costs for the online play of the game which is like 8 quid, where as if you play a proper game like the counterstrike, call of duty etc etc series you pay just for the game a fairly small ammount and then play till you cba! without paying any monthly fee's!

Originally posted by JoeMadRam;3547

The longest I've done is ended up playing PES for 6 hours solid. That's worrying enough but I survived. I can understand why some people can be severely addicted.

i have played about 6/7 solid but was when i was sponsored was in 7 games that were like 45 minutes long each, but was playing full on solid, and you cant just take a break when playing those games lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived