Bryson, Butters, Bradders

Bris Vegas

3 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

It's a great thread this. Or at least the OP was. You have to think one of them is a goner. And whilst a big fan of all three but a bigger fan of Butters than 99% of Rams fans, I think Jacob is done here..

GR never dropped Johnson last season and I think Bryson's ratting will be something he utilises as an alternative option in games. So yeah, if one goes it will surely be Butters. And I say that as a big fan and it saddens me. But I'm playing the game as instructed by the OP.

Can't remember who was A B or C now. But yeah, Johnson first team, Bryson bench, Butters bombed. 

*Will be delighted if I'm wrong and Jacob remains a Ram. 

I think this is the only post in the whole thread I can understand without needing to go back to the first page to cross reference.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rammieib said:

You'd have to question what Butterfield would offer the team if Huddlestone or Thorne is in there and we play 4-2-3-1.

Johnson offers a threat from range, a set piece threat and defensively a solid body in there.

Bryson still offers energy and a potential link up to Martin. Nugent aside we don't have many other players who will get around the pitch.

Butterfield offers, erm, nothing.

Bang on the money. The whole debate is moot with Hudd coming in. And once Rowett spots what he has for a weapon in the cool as a cumcumber, savvy Elsnik, he will become totally surplus to requirements if he isn't already.

Bryson is derby through and through. Keep. Bench.

johnno and butters are both craap. Sell. Sell. Its frustrating not be able to turn butters into a player but c'est la vie.

a clever manager would make a bid for George, and i think they could get him.

1 minute ago, Warren Hobhead said:

You read the Daily Mail? 

*feigns surprise* 

You are one of the strangest forum posters I've ever come across, and I've read - by accident - a Forest forum.

Thanks. And that incident Warren is one of the weirdest incidents I've ever heard of. 

Just now, Ninos said:

Thanks. And that incident Warren is one of the weirdest incidents I've ever heard of. 

Not as weird as not hearing a dicky bird about it since, and seeing Butters posting photos of him and his wife all over social media since.

I don't read rags like that. There's more truth in the bible.

7 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I think this is the only post in the whole thread I can understand without needing to go back to the first page to cross reference.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be confusing, I think I just worded it wrong. Most have got the jist fortunately though.

If McClaren was still in charge I'd opt for Johnson to be sold, but knowinf we aren't going to be playing the possession game, I have to go with Butters to be sold now.

Can't decide on who I'd rather have in the first-team though. Probably Bryson now that Chris Martin is back!

Johnson - first team

Bryson - bench

Butterfield - sell

If we go with a 4-2-3-1 with Vydra or Nugent behind Martin, I could see Johnson being the second player in that midfield two alongside either Huddlestone or Thorne.

If we go with 4-3-3 with Martin and no second striker, I could see Huddlestone or Thorne sitting with Bryson and Johnson further forward.

Butterfield wouldn't be the first player I'd sell personally. But I'm putting myself in the mind of Rowett and so he is the one face most likely not to fit.

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

You'd have to question what Butterfield would offer the team if Huddlestone or Thorne is in there and we play 4-2-3-1.

Johnson offers a threat from range, a set piece threat and defensively a solid body in there.

Bryson still offers energy and a potential link up to Martin. Nugent aside we don't have many other players who will get around the pitch.

Butterfield offers, erm, nothing.

Butterfield offers potential goals and to be fair that is all he has offered, his minutes on the pitch have been greatly reduced with having Thorne and Huddlestone 

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

There's absolutely zero evidence of anything you say in A. This is just pipe dreams, pipe dreams that fly in the face of most recent performances and results. johnsons the one who has bags of goals in his repertoire.

Lack of evidence didn't hold back any of the nonsense you wrote in the Martin thread!

Butters has shown he can get goals from midfield, even during his time here. Not sure how good your memory is. In fact all three of these options could score 10 or so in the right circumstances.

I expect we will see Johnson partnering Thorne or Huddlestone more often than not. I'd expect one of Bryson or Butters to go, even if a loan. Probably Butters.

7 hours ago, Ninos said:

There's absolutely zero evidence of anything you say in A. This is just pipe dreams, pipe dreams that fly in the face of most recent performances and results. johnsons the one who has bags of goals in his repertoire.

Johnson does not have 'bags of goals in his repertoire'...other than one stellar season with Norwich 3 seasons ago, he's never scored more than 5 goals a season at this level. Bryson scored 16 goals in the league the season before (1 more than Johnson in 14/15 & in a weaker team) but you won't see many clamouring for his inclusion solely off the back of that.

I think Johnson has done a steady job in front of the back 4 but he was moved there only after proving he was incapable of contributing further up the field. Remember he was seriously out of favour before he was enlisted as a temporary solution to Thorne's long term absence. Now Thorne is back & Huddlestone has signed, I don't see how he gets a game & he's an expensive wage to boot.

As for Butterfield, its clear you don't rate him..that's fine, we all rate different qualities in players. I like midfielders to be technically proficient as a minimum & ideally be able to control tempo/pace of the play. Stats elsewhere prove that he doesn't play as many sideways passes as people think but under Rowett (a much more direct manager than McClaren), I expect him to be more proactive in his play. Again, my opinion but he has the tools to be able to be a real asset to us, particularly now Will has gone. Johnson I don't believe does.

6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Butterfield offers potential goals and to be fair that is all he has offered, his minutes on the pitch have been greatly reduced with having Thorne and Huddlestone 

I don't see goals in a 4-2-3-1.

Maybe in a 4-3-3 but when he is asked to hold he seems to like to be a ball player. I don't rate him at that (sideways and too many touches) and don't think he'd get forward.

If Rowett is going to be a touch more conservative with his full backs and with Thorne/Hudds sitting the other midfielder needs to offer something going forward and be prepared to get up and down.

Just not sure Bryson has that in his locker anymore but feel BJ can do this. I also like a player with a bit of bite.

39 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I don't see goals in a 4-2-3-1.

Maybe in a 4-3-3 but when he is asked to hold he seems to like to be a ball player. I don't rate him at that (sideways and too many touches) and don't think he'd get forward.

If Rowett is going to be a touch more conservative with his full backs and with Thorne/Hudds sitting the other midfielder needs to offer something going forward and be prepared to get up and down.

Just not sure Bryson has that in his locker anymore but feel BJ can do this. I also like a player with a bit of bite.

That was the nicest I have been about Butterfield! But yes I think it will be mainly Johnson in there but shared with Bryson unless any depart

11 hours ago, Ninos said:

You think there is a team in the football league stupid enough to take a punt on Butterfield ? 

Having made 130 appearances over the last 4 seasons for 3 different clubs, and probably 7 different managers, yes it would appear there are a few who think he is good at this level.

If we had to, as per the OP:

Play: Johnson. Offers physicality, very strong in the air, can go box to box when motivated and given freedom to do so. Can score. Not great with the ball but now he can give it to TH to worry about.

Bench: Bryson. Needed in a game where we need more thrust with 25 minutes to go. Can play well with Martin. Willing runner, can go beyond the striker and can score. Would need to change formation though as you can't have him in a defensive 2 of a 4-2-3-1.

Sell: Butterfield. Absolutely delighted when he signed, thought he would become a real star for us but has really disappointed me and it just hasn't happened for him here. Hard to see where he fits in now. Would still command a decent fee, unlike Bryson. So sell.  

Difficult one this. They all have strengths, and they all have weaknesses.

Butterfield actually has the best skillset in my opinion, and could play in the midfield 2 very well (alongside Tom or George).

Bryson has the weakest skill set imo and really shouldn't be anywhere near first pick for the midfield two, but he could be useful coming off the bench if we are chasing a game, and he might be a solution in tough away games in the hole where we need to be in faces rather than having a particularly good link player in that position.

Johnson. If only he could pass. Rowett suggested yesterday he wants him further up the field, and perhaps he could play on the left of the three behind Martin or Nugent upfront. Otherwise he would do a solid job next to Tom or George).

With Thorne still struggling, l would send Hanson out on loan (or sell - not convinced he is quite there) and l would keep all 3 until January and see where we are then. A couple of defenders and a couple more attacking players need to go for squad balance before we worry too much about being bloated in midfield.

Archived