Bryson, Butters, Bradders

Bris Vegas

9 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

Huddersfield were his previous employers, we might offer them Butterfield as an extra bonus in return for what they paid generously for Ince.

One would think they've outgrown Butterfield ... just a bit lol

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

First team: Johnson

Bench: Butterfield

Sell: Bryson

Bryson has been finished for years. I remember that thread I made a few years ago about us not needing him and how we played better without him and I've not changed my mind since.  It was after we beat Wolves 5-0 in 2014 when he was unavailable. He just kills any momentum in the side and the stats from last season back this up as he had more sideways and backward passes than any other midfielder, despite people criticising Butterfield for the same problem. People kept telling me that he was going through a bad spell but I was never convinced.

Unfortunately, no-one will buy him with the wages he's on. We should have sold him to Burnley when we had the chance with hindsight.

Do you think though with Martin in the side he would be more inclined to make forward passes, knowing the ball will be retained and as a result he can move forward after releasing the pass?

I think it's hard to criticise any of our midfielder's lack of forward passes when Bent is leading the line.

I do feel this season is a case of last-chance saloon for Bryson though. He isn't getting any younger or fitter.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I do feel this season is a case of last-chance saloon for Bryson though. He isn't getting any younger or fitter.

And yet he's shown the most energy and willingness to cover and get forward. Needed to see him with Chrissy and Butters.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Well the positives are you've moved on from Martin I guess, now it's Jacobs turn.

Crackers.

Martin is the least of our worries at this point. Butterfield Weimann Bent Blackman. ... a strangely poor looking Russell ... we have some seriously dross players that need to be shipped pronto or we will pay for it come Sunderland. 

Just now, Ninos said:

Martin is the least of our worries at this point. Butterfield Weimann Bent Blackman. ... a strangely poor looking Russell ... we have some seriously dross players that need to be shipped pronto or we will pay for it come Sunderland. 

You know it's ok to not rate a player without being a drama queen about it, to suggest we should just give Butterfield away and what FL club would touch him. 

Have you heard yourself?

Dross this dross that yet we somehow continue to finish top 10. Funny that.

Should he retire then as he's not really found his feet at Derby? Get a job in Burger King by the side of a motorway?

Both Barnsley and Huddersfield fans didn't want to see him leave, for whatever reason it's not quite worked out for him here so far and we have seen the best of him but dross? Give over.

At the right price I'm sure a number of clubs would be happy to take him on and become a key player. 

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Do you think though with Martin in the side he would be more inclined to make forward passes, knowing the ball will be retained and as a result he can move forward after releasing the pass?

I think it's hard to criticise any of our midfielder's lack of forward passes when Bent is leading the line.

Possibly and that's a good point you've raised but even in 2014/15 when Martin was here, he was too conservative. Maybe I'm being harsh on him but I don't really see what he offers when he plays in a midfield 2. As far as I'm concerned, you either play him in a midfield 3 or not at all. 

He gets bypassed too easily and his frantic attempts to close down leaves gaps in the midfield for the opposition to exploit. In a midfield 2 you get punished for that. Even when he was in his "peak" in 13/14, many of his goals came in 1-2 game spells, there were too many spells he was absent then and did nothing after the forest game. Even before the forest game, he was struggling a lot and Hendrick took his place.

But in terms of your question, it depends what formation we are going to play, if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 as I expect we are, I'd sell both Bryson and Butterfield and loan Hanson out.

My ideal 4 for the two cdm spots would be: Thorne, Johnson, Huddlestone(if he signs) and one other signing like a Matty James. That would give us the perfect base in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Assuming Huddlestone comes in and becomes a regular, it will make competition for midfield places even tougher.

If you had to assign one of Butters, Bryson and Bradders to one of the following, who would it be and why?

A) first-teamer Johnson

B) Bench player Butterfield

C) Sell Bryson

You'd have to question what Butterfield would offer the team if Huddlestone or Thorne is in there and we play 4-2-3-1.

Johnson offers a threat from range, a set piece threat and defensively a solid body in there.

Bryson still offers energy and a potential link up to Martin. Nugent aside we don't have many other players who will get around the pitch.

Butterfield offers, erm, nothing.

Assuming we are going to go with a 4231 as plan a) with huddlestone as one of the two then I wouldn't be happy with any of them pairing them really. Johnson is too poor on the ball and isn't mobile enough, Butterfield isnt mobile enough and isn't good defensively sound enough to sit next to huddlestone and Bryson has a tendency to pass sideways or backwards in a deeper position and isnt good enough defensively. 

Personally think Bryson would be the least bad option to start. I think Butterfield offers something unique for when we want try and control a game more in midfield or in that #10 slot. But Johnson I just think is criminally bad on the ball. Personally Id really want to bring in another midfielder who is energetic (like matty james) but I doubt we will now 

Tldr;

A)Bryson 

B) Butterfield

C) Johnson

A) Butterfield - we haven't seen the best of him but he is a talented player. Technically good, passes well & is capable of a substantial goal haul. With Hughes gone, this is his time to shine & under Rowett, I expect much more incisive play from him

B) Bryson - love his attitude & feel he will be a much better player with Martin around to feed off but not a starter for me at this stage

C) Johnson - some on here reference his time at Norwich & think he should be played further forward. Reality is he's technically poor & a liability unless he's sat in front of the back 4 breaking up play. Now that Thorne is back & Huddlestone likely to sign, Bradley's time is up

It's a great thread this. Or at least the OP was. You have to think one of them is a goner. And whilst a big fan of all three but a bigger fan of Butters than 99% of Rams fans, I think Jacob is done here..

GR never dropped Johnson last season and I think Bryson's ratting will be something he utilises as an alternative option in games. So yeah, if one goes it will surely be Butters. And I say that as a big fan and it saddens me. But I'm playing the game as instructed by the OP.

Can't remember who was A B or C now. But yeah, Johnson first team, Bryson bench, Butters bombed. 

*Will be delighted if I'm wrong and Jacob remains a Ram. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

A) Butterfield - we haven't seen the best of him but he is a talented player. Technically good, passes well & is capable of a substantial goal haul. With Hughes gone, this is his time to shine & under Rowett, I expect much more incisive play from him

B) Bryson - love his attitude & feel he will be a much better player with Martin around to feed off but not a starter for me at this stage

C) Johnson - some on here reference his time at Norwich & think he should be played further forward. Reality is he's technically poor & a liability unless he's sat in front of the back 4 breaking up play. Now that Thorne is back & Huddlestone likely to sign, Bradley's time is up

There's absolutely zero evidence of anything you say in A. This is just pipe dreams, pipe dreams that fly in the face of most recent performances and results. johnsons the one who has bags of goals in his repertoire.

Archived