v Port Vale & Doncaster Match Thread

David

2 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth...can I just remind some, we hit the woodwork twice and missed a penalty, it could and should have been a 4-1 win but I don't suppose that would have been enough.

I'll be amazed if Mel sanctions the same coverage for the next pre season, his gesture seems to have brought about the negativity earlier than usual. 

Yeah, instead of being grateful for the insight it's just given some the excuse to be be miserable earlier...

Can I just day that I am  grateful for it Mel and GR,it's brilliant to have been involved earlier than usual,top bins guys

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, curtains said:

Wiemann played really well for 90 Minutes last night against Div 1 Doncaster. 

I didn’t see that, I was at the Port Vale match. Going from the comments on here I had assumed the whole of the forward line was rubbish at Doncaster! 

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

I didn’t see that, I was at the Port Vale match. Going from the comments on here I had assumed the whole of the forward line was rubbish at Doncaster! 

Not at all Martin and Wiemann hit the post and crossbar respectively and Mason Bennett won a penalty  which Chris missed but they all played 90 minutes and the game was a bit fiesty tackle wise. 

Doncaster used alot of substitutes and so had fresh legs 2 second half with Coppinger coming on and running the show for a while but Derby did come back at them later in the second half. 

Butterfields corners were very good and Derby totally dominated the first half with a good Keogh headed goal from a corner 

The main thing for Derby was that no subs were used against Div 1 Doncaster. 

Thought weimann was decent and a willing runner right to the end, trying to make things happen. Midfield went a bit anonymous the last 20-30 mins but the wingers carried on working hard to make something happen. Martin was alright but seemed a bit off it, probably down to nugent being off it too.

really needed a creative player on there to find the space as it became a bit of a punt fest from the back

26 minutes ago, angieram said:

Weimann looked very sharp, probably our best player and linked really well with Fozzy. I was slightly disappointed with Bennett as he was quieter than he seems to have been in the first two games. Martin had a 6/10 game, nothing inspired but played that lynchpin role fairly effectively, especially with Weimann (those two seem to link really well). I'm afraid to say Nuge was absolutely awful, the worst I've ever seen him play for us. I think that was probably a combination of being in the '10' role and having an off day, but I really don't think he's suited to playing behind the striker. Still love him though.

In terms of the rest of the team, contrary to popular opinion, I thought Butterfield played very well in parts. He faded terribly in the second half but IMO he was one of our best players in the first half, stringing play together nicely. I also thought Johnson was better than people have said, a solid 6.5/10 performance. 

Hanson was very mixed, with his positioning and on-the ball skills being off but making up for it with some excellent crunching tackles.  I don't think he has the natural ability to be a Championship footballer but I think he has a chance of staying in this league because of his heart and desire, as well as his versatility. Early shaky moments aside, Keogh and Pearce were fairly solid, whilst Mitchell was OK but his distribution was really poor,

Finally, it was so great to see Fozzy back. He was reasonably solid in defence (not quite peak levels just yet, as expected) and provided a real outlet going forward. Weimann and him seem to have a promising partnership. All in all, an OK performance. We certainly tailed off in the second half but that's unsurprising as we build fitness. Really excited for the season to come, providing we sign a winger and someone to play behind the striker.

8 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Weimann looked very sharp, probably our best player and linked really well with Fozzy. I was slightly disappointed with Bennett as he was quieter than he seems to have been in the first two games. Martin had a 6/10 game, nothing inspired but played that lynchpin role fairly effectively, especially with Weimann (those two seem to link really well). I'm afraid to say Nuge was absolutely awful, the worst I've ever seen him play for us. I think that was probably a combination of being in the '10' role and having an off day, but I really don't think he's suited to playing behind the striker. Still love him though.

In terms of the rest of the team, contrary to popular opinion, I thought Butterfield played very well in parts. He faded terribly in the second half but IMO he was one of our best players in the first half, stringing play together nicely. I also thought Johnson was better than people have said, a solid 6.5/10 performance. 

Hanson was very mixed, with his positioning and on-the ball skills being off but making up for it with some excellent crunching tackles.  I don't think he has the natural ability to be a Championship footballer but I think he has a chance of staying in this league because of his heart and desire, as well as his versatility. Early shaky moments aside, Keogh and Pearce were fairly solid, whilst Mitchell was OK but his distribution was really poor,

Finally, it was so great to see Fozzy back. He was reasonably solid in defence (not quite peak levels just yet, as expected) and provided a real outlet going forward. Weimann and him seem to have a promising partnership. All in all, an OK performance. We certainly tailed off in the second half but that's unsurprising as we build fitness. Really excited for the season to come, providing we sign a winger and someone to play behind the striker.

Thanks for that - I think the first real summary of the performances at Doncaster from someone who was actually at the game. 

I think players will be in and out of form early games as some are more naturally fit than others and we know they are being pushed hard in training as well.

Interesting what you said about Johnson too as I thought he played fairly well at Macclesfield too but opinion on here was that he hadn't. 

I just want every player to do well every game, though!

9 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I'll tell you in two words why Bennett looked distinctly average.

Jamie Hanson.

10 hours ago, angieram said:

Weimann  had a decent game and nearly scored a beauty,he was just trying to get an understanding with Fozzy as a lot of the through balls were a bit off.

Same with Martin and Nuge,it just didn't click,but they were trying and in the 2nd half I noticed them doing a lot of talking,and when it does click and Nuge gets on some of those flicks it's going to be good.

Martin should have had 3 even though he didn't feature and the whole stand cracked up when the mystery sniper took him out a couple of times,much to the disgust of the locals.

Bennett never really got away,he looked like he was trying to be disciplined,Hanson is more defensive than Fozzy was with Weimann.

I was fine with it,my boys did comment that we lacked someone to change a game without Incey.

So I'm glad we've been promised that.

3 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

Could that be Huddlestone (obviously in a different way to Ince), one of his defence splitting passes could create a goal out of nothing.

From the highlights of the Port Vale game I think he put both Russell and Anya clean through on goal.

You could be right,same with Thorne if/when he's back.

To be fair to Fozzy he did 2 or 3 cracking cross field balls to Bennett first half to get us on the attack.(I always think of Commando when I say Bennett...Stick around Bennett

:ph34r:)!

Archived