Grant Leadbitter

Topram

I highly doubt we'll be religiously sticking to 4-2-3-1 as many of you seem to think. Rowett has spoken many times about the fact he likes to be flexible depending on the opposition. I expect that we'll see 4-3-3 just as often as we'll see 4-2-3-1, which is where Bryson/Johnson/Butterfield do become good options.

I think @JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta is correct to say that we'll only sign one of these DM's (Hudd, Whelan, James, Leadbitter, etc) with the idea being that this ends the reliance on an injury prone Thorne and indeed the temptation to rush him back/overplay him.

With a proper DM alongside, any of Johnson/Butterfield/Bryson should be perfectly capable of playing as a 2, just as long as they're not playing in a 2 with each other!

In a 4-2-3-1 I'd usually expect to see one of New DM/Thorne/Hanson and one of Johnson/Butterfield/Bryson.

In a 4-3-3 I'd usually expect to see one of New DM/Thorne/Hanson and two of Johnson/Butterfield/Bryson.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rample said:

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/nauseating-display-vulgar-dissent-middlesbrough/story-25711793-detail/story.html

The DET aren't going to welcome him with open arms.

My understanding is he is out of contract, or at least he was last month.

Been watching Sunderland fans chatting about him, they're 50/50 on him, and I presume they've been watching him since he left as he was a home grown fan favourite.

Good captain, good penalty taker, but not really pushed on from being a talented youngster and not good enough for the top flight. Also doubt his ability to play a full season.

Looking at the link and taking one of the comments says it all seemed other fans had the same opinion:-

Deanbderby  |  December 15 2014, 7:56PM

He showed and did what our players didnt. All I can remember is a lot of whinging from keogh, shotton and martin

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Don't like the guy - Overly aggressive, arrogant clogger - But would be an absolute asset to the squad and the perfect player to have for a 4-2-3-1 formation

I just don't want to be made to like him - And I will if he pulls on a Derby shirt

This exactly!

Very agricultural midfielder, but has the know how and drive to get results, always been impressed with him who I've seen him play despite his lack of technical ability. 

He would have been an excellent foil for young Will. Shame!

Boro fan here.  I would be really surprised if Leadbitter is allowed to leave.  He is not out of contract.  De Sart has gone already, De Roon is heavily linked going back to Italy if someone mattches his 10m valuation. If leadbitter also leaves, that would leave us with 3 CM's.  Clayton, Forshaw, Howson.  Can't see it happening, unless De Roon stays and wants top flight football having just broken into the Dutch squad.  De Roon didn't feature in our pre season friendly, all the other senior players in the squad did.

Just now, Boro5707 said:

Boro fan here.  I would be really surprised if Leadbitter is allowed to leave.  He is not out of contract.  De Sart has gone already, De Roon is heavily linked going back to Italy if someone mattches his 10m valuation. If leadbitter also leaves, that would leave us with 3 CM's.  Clayton, Forshaw, Howson.  Can't see it happening, unless De Roon stays and wants top flight football having just broken into the Dutch squad.  De Roon didn't feature in our pre season friendly, all the other senior players in the squad did.

Thanks for the info. 

Are you in for any new midfielders which might change the dynamic of your team and render leadbitter surplus to requirements? 

19 minutes ago, Boro5707 said:

Guedioura????????

22 minutes ago, Boro5707 said:

We've got a really talented utility man that I think you guys would like in an exchange deal. Given the chance I reckon he'd relish filling in at CM. Quick, strong, versatile and makes the fans in row Z scream.

Nick Blackman.

Would be very happy with this. Leadbitter and Clayton absolutely controlled midfield in their promotion season. Riverside away that season was men against boys (in Midfield battle) and the men won easily! I'd happily park him next to Thorne (if fit) in a 4-2-3-1!!

26 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Thanks for the info. 

Are you in for any new midfielders which might change the dynamic of your team and render leadbitter surplus to requirements? 

We have been linked to none.

24 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Guedioura????????

Yeah he is another, everyone forgets about him.  Has never started a match for the club and isnt even in Portugal with the squad currently.  He may have been on International Duty, no one really knows.  Would of thought we were wanting to offload him.   

24 minutes ago, YouRams said:

We've got a really talented utility man that I think you guys would like in an exchange deal. Given the chance I reckon he'd relish filling in at CM. Quick, strong, versatile and makes the fans in row Z scream.

Nick Blackman.

Beat me to it YouRams mate....

40 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Nick Blackman.

8 pages in on a thread about Grant Leadbitter and Nick's managed to get a mention yet again! 

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

8 pages in on a thread about Grant Leadbitter and Nick's managed to get a mention yet again! 

That's how popular he is Boro it would break our hearts for you to take him, but we are willing to make this sacrifice to get Leadbitter. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

Nick Blackman.

Wow, your spelling's improved dramatically, B4.

2 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Boro fans views about the player see link below

http://fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb/view.php?id=5353712 

?

I'd take him and Hudds all day long. 

One of the comments

I remember arguing with a few people on here that he wasn't quick enough, that he took four touches when a first-time pass would do; in essence, that he slowed the tempo down too much. Maybe that's true; he, like most of the players who got us promoted, never looked like coping with the step up in standard and intensity (In his defence, he spent the first half of the season injured.)

What's also true is that he's calm under pressure. He leads. He wins tackles and tries to pass judiciously. He's a good set piece taker - he'll set up 8-10 goals a season in the Championship from free-kicks and corners - and nerveless from penalties.

I hope we keep him.

Reminds me of someone.

Archived