RIP Windows Phone

David

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Not saying it's not a dying platform, but have you heard of Windows 10?

"Microsoft has stopped manufacturing its own Lumia-branded smartphones and, according to The Verge, rumors suggest the company will simply maintain Windows 10 Mobile until support for the platform ends in 2018."

10 minutes ago, David said:

"Microsoft has stopped manufacturing its own Lumia-branded smartphones and, according to The Verge, rumors suggest the company will simply maintain Windows 10 Mobile until support for the platform ends in 2018."

I know, time to switch to a very affordable Android. But if you're a masochist, Windows phone isn't dead. Yet.

I got a Nokia Lumia about 3 years ago as part of my Virgin Media contract - also goodies like unlimited everything, including 08xx calls for free (required because of all the bloody phone conference calls I had to be a part of).

I'm due an upgrade, thank goodness.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

I got a Nokia Lumia about 3 years ago as part of my Virgin Media contract - also goodies like unlimited everything, including 08xx calls for free (required because of all the bloody phone conference calls I had to be a part of).

I'm due an upgrade, thank goodness.

Where all the conference calls 08xx numbers?

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Where all the conference calls 08xx numbers?

All the Jaguar Land Rover conference calls were. 0800 or 0845 numbers are seldom free on a mobile. I couldn't use a land line because I couldn't interface them with my hearing aids, but I had a neat neck loop that allowed me to do just that with a Nokia phone. So basically it allowed me to do my job for another couple of years.

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

All the Jaguar Land Rover conference calls were. 0800 or 0845 numbers are seldom free on a mobile. I couldn't use a land line because I couldn't interface them with my hearing aids, but I had a neat neck loop that allowed me to do just that with a Nokia phone. So basically it allowed me to do my job for another couple of years.

That was a big help then.

20 minutes ago, Boycie said:

That was a big help then.

Well, the alternative was going on the dole and sponging off you.

Microsoft is officially set to pull the plug on its Windows Phone smartphone business.

The company has reportedly signalled that it will be wrapping up its operations in the mobile device market within the next few weeks.

The news was reported on Twitter by ZDNet reporter Mary Jo Foley, who said that a senior Microsoft executive had told her there was almost no money left in the phone business.

Renowned Microsoft commentator Paul Thurrott corroborated Foley’s report, saying that the wind-down of the company’s phone business is, “expected to be completed by the end of the current fiscal year”.

This would mean that Microsoft would halt its operations by the end of June.

Microsoft revealed its latest financial results earlier this week, with company CFO Amy Hood mentioning "negligible revenue from phones."

The reality was even more stark, however, with phone sales falling $730 million for the current quarter from the same period last year.The announcement may not be too surprising, given the waning power of Windows Phone devices around the world. 

Microsoft did not even publish the results of its mobile devices division in its last financial results, with no new devices being released as the company finalised its messy divorce with Nokia.

Windows Phone now makes up just 0.3 per cent of all smartphones sold across the world in the last three months of last year, according to recent Gartner figures.

The ascension of Satya Nadella as Microsoft CEO effectively spelled the end for Windows Phone, as he looked to take the company more towards cloud computing.

The company has also been resizing its Windows Phone workforce in recent years, with tens of thousands of employees being laid off back in July 2015.

Microsoft also effectively wrote off $7.6 billion concerning its 2013 takeover of Nokia, marking one of the company’s biggest ever low points. 

The company also recently downgraded work on its Windows 10 Mobile platform in favour of focusing on building other new hardware instead.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/797931/windows-phone-microsoft-stops-making-mobile-devices

Sad to see how Nokia have fallen, they recently bought out Withings the fitness related products company, absolutely destroyed the Health Mate app for the scales. 

Every update sees like 500+ 1 star views before they switch reviews off, BBC ran a story on the mess they've made of it as well. 

Basically took an app that worked, removed a ton of features, broke the rest then left an app a shell of what it was.

Will give it 6 months and may have to move over to Fitbit

The best phones were Palm  -WebOS was a great operating system, but they sold it to HP who just made a mess of it and that left the road clear for Android to be the only alternative to Apple. Funnily enough the latest versions of Android have slowly morphed into looking much like WebOS did 4+ years ago

Archived