Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, rynny said:

You are right, we got 2 seasons out of Seth.

You are wrong on Davies, he played the full match, it was his mistake that cost the first goal, after the red card Livermore played CB and not sure about Tom being their best player either.

I meant all season, not just against us! ?

Having Huddlestone in the team would do little to stop a repeat performance like that of Brentford away. Never rated the defensive side of his game from midfield - just like Johnson he's very easily bypassed against a quick passing opposition midfield. Granted Huddlestone probably reads the play better so may not be caught out quite as much.

I'm not even convinced that his passing range is actually much more than being able to place it over the top to a runner - similar to how Hughes' long passing often wasn't really that much of a strength but the short-stuff was magnificent (Yes, I know, Bent vs Wolves, though that was medium range) only the opposite way around. He was in his element at Spurs hitting accurate long balls to Lennon/Modric/Keane/whoever else.

...& his shooting is generally s**t, despite the power behind it and the occasional goal. Not a patch on Thorne's.

Please no, I remember against Hull second leg. He was anonymous all game and was the reason we was bossing them. He got subbed then the whole game changed unfortunately and we couldn't get the result we needed. If he didn't get subbed then I'd go as far to say we would of gone Wembley..

He's never impressed me while playing for Hull when we've played them and I kept a eye on him. He can barely run, Hardly made a tackle just no!

7 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

Please no, I remember against Hull second leg. He was anonymous all game and was the reason we was bossing them. He got subbed then the whole game changed unfortunately and we couldn't get the result we needed. If he didn't get subbed then I'd go as far to say we would of gone Wembley..

He's never impressed me while playing for Hull when we've played them and I kept a eye on him. He can barely run, Hardly made a tackle just no!

He is a class player. Anyone can have one off game.  His passing range is superb. He'd fill the void left by Hughes for me.  Different players yes. But both knit play together

I'd not break the bank to get him but if he's available at a reasonable price and reasonable wages he'd be a good addition. Can't believe people are ruling him out after one bad game against us, how many bad games have some of our favourite players had over the past few seasons, plenty. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Are you judging Huddlestone by how Hull did? Pretty sure he was their best player in a depleted team last season, even playing CB in Davies' absence. 

seem to recall that when he was with us there was some thought that he would end up CB?

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

seem to recall that when he was with us there was some thought that he would end up CB?

Remember him playing as a central defender against Crewe.

They had a big centre forward who took Huddlestone to school that day.

Dean Ashton. Classy player. Pity injury cut his career short.

Think I recall murdo mcloed banging on about how Huddlestone  was probably gonna end up as a defender.

Proves what a A hole he was.

That time was tough being a Rams fan.

Those shiisters pillaged our club.

Caught in two minds on this.

On one hand, he's a quality player, very intelligent on the ball, has an unreal range of passing while also being big and strong. He's a similar type of DM to Thorne in that regard.

But we already have Thorne. I really don't buy into the 'unreliable Thorne' narrative. The bloke got past his ACL problems and played a full season, regularly featuring under both managers. Having your leg broken by some clogger from Ipswich isn't being injury prone, it's bad luck. Same thing happened to Thorne that happened to Alan Judge.

Huddlestone's old, dropping down from the PL and on massive wages. Isn't that what Rowett said we're avoiding? People got in right hissy fits about being "lied to" by McClaren, why is this okay? I think Davies is a good signing, don't get me wrong but he's a good signing for this season and that's it. Past then you're thinking about him losing his legs, injury issues and the fact you can't sell him on. We're in a tricky situation with Shackell right now after a similar transfer.

Also, I look at our midfield and really think we need an energetic DM. Thorne and Huddlestone would be the slowest midfield duo in the league! Who out of those two would be pressurising the opposition or getting up to help the attackers. For me, if you bring in Huddlestone you're in a situation where your two best DM's are players you can't play together.

2 hours ago, YouRams said:

I'd not break the bank to get him but if he's available at a reasonable price and reasonable wages he'd be a good addition. Can't believe people are ruling him out after one bad game against us, how many bad games have some of our favourite players had over the past few seasons, plenty. 

Keogh had one bad second - that was enough for some.

There are better, younger, more mobile players in that position that we could attract. Probably cheaper too. 

However, it's GR's job to get it right and in fairness he knows more about football than I do. Just seems a strange rumour. Hoping it's just that, like the Buxton one recently. 

19 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

There are better, younger, more mobile players in that position that we could attract. Probably cheaper too. 

However, it's GR's job to get it right and in fairness he knows more about football than I do. Just seems a strange rumour. Hoping it's just that, like the Buxton one recently. 

Maybe there are but you would assume Huddlestone would settle very quickly and it would mean cover for Thorne and of course he can pass the ball forwards to our players which the likes of Martin / Vydra / nugent might appreciate 

off the top of my head I can't think of many appropriate alternatives 

3 hours ago, feisty said:

He is a class player. Anyone can have one off game.  His passing range is superb. He'd fill the void left by Hughes for me.  Different players yes. But both knit play together

Wasn't a one off. Was 3 games that Season. Each of those games he literally had 0 effect. If it was because he was against us then that's a pretty lame reason.

I was actually thinking at the time how much he had declined and he's well past his Prime. 

3 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

Wasn't a one off. Was 3 games that Season. Each of those games he literally had 0 effect. If it was because he was against us then that's a pretty lame reason.

I was actually thinking at the time how much he had declined and he's well past his Prime. 

Couldn't have been rubbish seeing as he got promoted in a naff team 

I like Huddlestone, but I'm concerned that our transfer policy doesn't seem to have changed in the slightest.

It isn't my money so I won't lose much sleep, but after Rowett saying we won't pay 30 somethings coming down from the Prem. We have signed Davies, linked with Whelan, Boyd and now Huddlestone.

If we did sign Lawrence and Jota my concerns will subside somewhat.

50 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Who?

Archived