Those pesky Twitter rumour accounts

Day

I could go to Twitter right now, create an account @efltransfers or @agentdaveo, upload a generic profile picture and start pumping transfer rumours out.

Sad thing is, wouldn't take me a few weeks before I could gather a following of around 1000+ followers and see my "rumours" appear on fan forums. 

Making my own up by scouting fan sites to see who fans would like their club to sign and linking them, rehashing things thrown out by recognised journalists or papers to appear slightly credible.

My mind literally boggles at the amount of people so desperate to jump on these "rumours", I would love to not only jump into the mind of those behind these accounts but also those that follow, retweet, share their crap.

I will acknowledge not everything that comes from recognised journalists finger tips is 100% genuine, clubs with a large social media following thrown in as a hashtag to generate clicks and views, but they do have genuine sources between all that and do break genuine rumours where as these rumour accounts have nothing but a desire for attention. 

I swear that's why Derby get mentioned so much as we have a large gullible following on a Twitter that pester the likes of Alan Nixon for any rumours about Derby, the guy will tweet about Bristol City after a left back from Ghana and you can guarantee a Derby fan will be on there with a reply asking anything doing for Derby Al?  

Maybe if you start to hit 10k, 20k followers you can start to slip in the odd betting company affiliate link and make a bit of money, fair play I guess, I just can't get my head around the demand and willingness to suck up this crap, not just that but share it as well.....on here!

Don't tell me it's just a bit of fun, you don't believe them but it's something to talk about, behave, go pick a random player and link him to your club, that's all they are doing, is it the pretty FL logo that gives you some kind of ability to put yourself into a fantasy world of make belief?

Suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the increasing number of zombies in this country, entertained by Essex couples on an island or celebrities dancing around, ready to voluenteer myself for the one way Mars fearing I will one day be bitten by one of these zombies and become infected myself. Really not sure where I'm going with this, to save myself going any deeper I'll stop here and say this, don't bother trying to peddle those accounts on here as they will be removed. 

Starve them of the attention they crave and let's make Twitter great again.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twitter is actually one of the more worthwhile social media platforms to use but during transfer windows becomes a yawnfest of arguments over rumours from these accounts.

Facebook is pretty much turd now, nothing but memories being reshared or comment and share this to win a luxury holiday for 4 on Florida which of course nobody wins, doesn't stop it polluting your feed with the quote memes and quizzes of who loves you the most and what age will you live to.

Guess that's just a bit of fun as well. Am I just getting old or is the world around me becoming dumb?

Anyhow Twitter is alright, it's actually been relisted under the News category in the App Store which is pretty much what I use it for and the odd personal rambling you think may amuse at least one follower. 

I'm actually pretty careful who I follow, not one of these that blindly follow everyone back to keep my followers number up. Doesn't really bother me who sees my ramblings, 500 or 50,000. 

17 minutes ago, David said:

I could go to Twitter right now, create an account @efltransfers or @agentdaveo, upload a generic profile picture and start pumping transfer rumours out.

Sad thing is, wouldn't take me a few weeks before I could gather a following of around 1000+ followers and see my "rumours" appear on fan forums. 

Making my own up by scouting fan sites to see who fans would like their club to sign and linking them, rehashing things thrown out by recognised journalists or papers to appear slightly credible.

My mind literally boggles at the amount of people so desperate to jump on these "rumours", I would love to not only jump into the mind of those behind these accounts but also those that follow, retweet, share their crap.

I will acknowledge not everything that comes from recognised journalists finger tips is 100% genuine, clubs with a large social media following thrown in as a hashtag to generate clicks and views, but they do have genuine sources between all that and do break genuine rumours where as these rumour accounts have nothing but a desire for attention. 

I swear that's why Derby get mentioned so much as we have a large gullible following on a Twitter that pester the likes of Alan Nixon for any rumours about Derby, the guy will tweet about Bristol City after a left back from Ghana and you can guarantee a Derby fan will be on there with a reply asking anything doing for Derby Al?  

Maybe if you start to hit 10k, 20k followers you can start to slip in the odd betting company affiliate link and make a bit of money, fair play I guess, I just can't get my head around the demand and willingness to suck up this crap, not just that but share it as well.....on here!

Don't tell me it's just a bit of fun, you don't believe them but it's something to talk about, behave, go pick a random player and link him to your club, that's all they are doing, is it the pretty FL logo that gives you some kind of ability to put yourself into a fantasy world of make belief?

Suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the increasing number of zombies in this country, entertained by Essex couples on an island or celebrities dancing around, ready to voluenteer myself for the one way Mars fearing I will one day be bitten by one of these zombies and become infected myself. Really not sure where I'm going with this, to save myself going any deeper I'll stop here and say this, don't bother trying to peddle those accounts on here as they will be removed. 

Starve them of the attention they crave and let's make Twitter great again.

I think you should create an account, see how long before a member posts the rumour up. Winner gets one of these.

BANHAMMER.png

8 minutes ago, rynny said:

I think you should create an account, see how long before a member posts the rumour up. Winner gets one of these.

BANHAMMER.png

Interesting idea and one I wouldn't be totally against but the problem is, you know when I say I could easily gain 1000+ followers in a few weeks, I would get bored after a day or two. So those behind the accounts do deserve some credit for the determination and drive to troll the masses. 

The @dcfcfans twitter account isn't run the best, I will go months without tweeting from it, sling a few things out and disappear from it. Had over 7000 followers now, not because it's the best source of information, I'm guessing just because this forum is popular that's all, helps the main hashtag is #dcfcfans as my account appears at the top, no idea who started the hashtag I know it came after this place but don't think it should hold any claim to fame for it. 

I know how the other side of social media works to gain followers, just don't like it myself so I refuse to be a part of it. Spamming the same tweet out after X hours, morning, dinner break, school/work ends, evening, always include a picture so your tweet stands out even if it really isn't needed. Hashtags galore, misleading tweets designed to trigger your curiousity urgh! Gives me a funny stomach just thinking about it.

Did think about scrapping my personal account and just focusing on using that but doesn't seem right posting my views under the name @dcfcfans this forum isn't me, it's everyone and sometimes 140 chars isn't enough to get your point across.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting idea and one I wouldn't be totally against but the problem is, you know when I say I could easily gain 1000+ followers in a few weeks, I would get bored after a day or two. So those behind the accounts do deserve some credit for the determination and drive to troll the masses. 

The @dcfcfans twitter account isn't run the best, I will go months without tweeting from it, sling a few things out and disappear from it. Had over 7000 followers now, not because it's the best source of information, I'm guessing just because this forum is popular that's all, helps the main hashtag is #dcfcfans as my account appears at the top, no idea who started the hashtag I know it came after this place but don't think it should hold any claim to fame for it. 

I know how the other side of social media works to gain followers, just don't like it myself so I refuse to be a part of it. Spamming the same tweet out after X hours, morning, dinner break, school/work ends, evening, always include a picture so your tweet stands out even if it really isn't needed. Hashtags galore, misleading tweets designed to trigger your curiousity urgh! Gives me a funny stomach just thinking about it.

Did think about scrapping my personal account and just focusing on using that but doesn't seem right posting my views under the name @dcfcfans this forum isn't me, it's everyone and sometimes 140 chars isn't enough to get your point across.

Think you would need 2 or 3 people working on it to keep the interest, see which of you could out rumour the other :lol:

I remember couple of years ago a lad I knew just started tweeting that Derby were signing Puyol for a laugh (think he was already retired). It only took a few days before the fans were lapping it up and then there were some articles as well.

Archived